|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many rooms does the Squalor's home have?
2. According to the narrator, what is one good part of the Baudelaires' living with the Squalors?
(a) The Baudelaires are together.
(b) The Baudelaires are back in the city where they were born.
(c) The Baudelaires are with two wealthy adults.
(d) The Baudelaires are healthier.
3. What two elements does the narrator use as references at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Hydrogen and oxygen.
(b) Hydrogen and Helium.
(c) Oxygen and aluminum.
(d) Aluminum and Helium.
4. After arriving home from Café Salmonella, what kinds of noises do the children hear as they climb the stairs to the penthouse?
(a) The sounds of people eating.
(b) The sounds of people going to bed.
(c) The sounds of people wrestling.
(d) The sounds of people singing.
5. What is Jerome's suggestion for putting the Baudelaires' mind at ease?
(a) Sliding down the banister instead of taking the stairs.
(b) Calling Mr. Poe.
(c) Moving out of the penthouse.
(d) Going to the police.
6. What does Violet do the morning after Gunther arrives to help her think?
(a) She plays with Sunny.
(b) She sits at her workbench and ties her hair up.
(c) She goes back to sleep.
(d) She ties up her hair and eats cookies.
7. When Sunny is covered in the pinstripe clothes, what does Violet compare her to?
(a) A lump in the carpet.
(b) A pillow.
(c) A cat.
(d) A dog.
8. Who slides down the banister first and laughs?
9. Why does Esme believe that Gunther is who he claims to be?
(a) Because he shows her identification.
(b) Because Jerome supports it too.
(c) Because he tells her so.
(d) Because she checks his references.
10. Who are the orphans' new guardians?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Green.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dark.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Squalor.
11. What is one of the things the Baudelaire children are afraid has happened since Gunther arrived?
(a) Something dreadful has happened to the Quagmires.
(b) Something dreadful has happened to the doorman.
(c) Something dreadful has happened to Esme.
(d) Something dreadful has happened to Mr. Poe.
12. What is missing on the orphans' new street?
(b) Street lamps.
(d) Street signs.
13. When the Baudelaire children reach the Squalor penthouse apartment, what does the person who answers the door wear?
(a) Jogging pants.
(b) A pinstripe suit.
(c) A dress.
(d) A robe.
14. What type of ice cream does the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 1 state you may be nervous about eating?
(a) Prune ice cream.
(b) Expired ice cream.
(c) Vanilla ice cream.
(d) Chocolate ice cream.
15. What does Klaus hope his new guardians will have for him when he gets to the apartment?
(b) A separate bedroom.
(c) Interesting books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the oldest of the Baudelaire orphans?
2. Why doesn't Jerome want to force Gunther to remove his boots?
3. What is an aqueous martini?
4. How many floors down is it from the Squalor's penthouse apartment to the bottom floor?
5. With whom does Esme have to meet early in the morning when she sends Jerome to get parsley soda?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)