|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way home from Café Salmonella, what does the taxicab pass that makes the children remember their parents?
(a) The beach.
(b) The circus.
(c) The Fish District.
(d) The mall.
2. How many windows are in the Squalor penthouse, according to the narrator?
3. According to the narrator, what does the phrase "dwarfed by comparison" not have to deal with?
(a) The phrase doesn't have anything to do with dogs.
(b) The phrase doesn't have anything to do with dwarves.
(c) The phrase doesn't have anything to do with comparisons.
(d) The phrase doesn't have anything to do with children.
4. In Chapter 1, what does the narrator suggest the reader do instead of reading this book?
(a) Read the book.
(b) Curl up with a dictionary.
(c) Skip ahead to chapter four.
(d) Read the story backward.
5. Who are the orphans' new guardians?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dark.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Squalor.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Green.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
6. When the Baudelaires reach the bottom of the staircase after listening at every apartment door, who do they see?
(c) The doorman.
7. According to Violet, which of their former guardians would have enjoyed eating salad?
(b) Uncle Melvin.
(c) Aunt Josephine.
(d) Count Olaf.
8. According to Esme, which district is not a place for young people?
(a) The Beach district.
(b) The Dark district.
(c) The Fish district.
(d) The Beverage district.
9. How old is the oldest Baudelaire orphan?
10. What word does Gunther continue to use incorrectly?
(d) Thank you.
11. What happened to the Quagmire children?
(a) They ran away.
(b) They found guardians.
(c) Count Olaf kidnapped them.
(d) They died in a fire.
12. During the first few days in the penthouse, what happens once the Baudelaire children return to the penthouse?
(a) They get hopelessly lazy.
(b) They get hopelessly lost.
(c) They eat food.
(d) They get very sad.
13. Each morning, who takes the children to places in town?
(b) Mr. Poe.
14. When Sunny is covered in the pinstripe clothes, what does Violet compare her to?
(a) A lump in the carpet.
(b) A cat.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A dog.
15. At Café Salmonella, what has replaced the flowers in the vases?
(a) Air fresheners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sunny's bedroom filled with?
2. Which of the Baudelaire orphans wear glasses?
3. Why does the narrator state the dictionary is more pleasant than reading this book?
4. With whom does Esme have to meet early in the morning when she sends Jerome to get parsley soda?
5. What are the buildings made of where Café Salmonella is located?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)