|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the oldest Baudelaire orphan?
2. When the Baudelaire children reach the Squalor penthouse apartment, who answers the door?
(a) Mrs. Squalor.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mr. Squalor.
(d) Count Olaf.
3. According to Esme, what is illegal to auction off?
(a) "In" items.
4. Jerome finds Klaus a bedroom he thinks will fit his interests, but what's wrong with it?
(a) The library is empty.
(b) The library is filled magazines about plants.
(c) The library is filled with books about fashionable things.
(d) The library isn't close to his bedroom.
5. What are the buildings made of where Café Salmonella is located?
(a) Silvery scales.
6. Each morning, who takes the children to places in town?
(b) Mr. Poe.
7. While climbing the staircase, Violet recalls what event that her parents attended that made them extremely tired?
(a) Sixteenth Annual Run-a-Thon.
(b) A birthday party.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A party.
8. Who does Violet tell the Squalors is Gunther's true identity?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Count Olaf.
(c) Their long lost relative.
(d) The doorman.
9. After arriving home from Café Salmonella, what kinds of noises do the children hear as they climb the stairs to the penthouse?
(a) The sounds of people going to bed.
(b) The sounds of people singing.
(c) The sounds of people wrestling.
(d) The sounds of people eating.
10. Why does Jerome not continue to support the children's claim about Gunther's identity?
(a) Jerome backs down because he's afraid of her.
(b) Jerome backs down because he agrees.
(c) Jerome backs down because Esme threatens to put him out.
(d) Jerome backs down because he likes Gunther.
11. What is one of the things the Baudelaire children are afraid has happened since Gunther arrived?
(a) Something dreadful has happened to the Quagmires.
(b) Something dreadful has happened to the doorman.
(c) Something dreadful has happened to Esme.
(d) Something dreadful has happened to Mr. Poe.
12. When the Baudelaires reach the bottom of the staircase after listening at every apartment door, who do they see?
(b) The doorman.
13. According to the narrator, what is an alternative meaning of 'mixed bag"?
(a) Placing a plastic bag and mixing it with cake batter.
(b) Placing a plastic bag in the bowl and mixing it with food.
(c) Placing a plastic bag in the bowl and stirring it around.
(d) Placing a plastic bag in the bowl and tossing it.
14. Who shows up at the onset of Chapter 4 dressed in a disguise?
(a) The Quagmires.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Count Olaf.
(d) Jerome Squalor
15. According to Mr. Squalor, what is his wife most attentive to?
(a) What's going on down the street.
(b) What's happening in the building.
(c) What's in and what's out.
(d) What's out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the orphans hear from behind the doors on each floor?
2. What character has been put in charge of the Baudelaire orphans?
3. What does Violet do the morning after Gunther arrives to help her think?
4. What word does Gunther continue to use incorrectly?
5. What is at the curve of the staircase on each floor?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)