|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Squalor want to adopt the children?
(a) Because she feels bad for them.
(b) Because her husband suggested it.
(c) Because orphans are in.
(d) Because she loves kids.
2. How did the Baudelaire orphans' parents die?
(a) In a fire.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) In a train crash.
3. With whom does Esme have to meet early in the morning when she sends Jerome to get parsley soda?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) The King of Arizona.
(c) The Quagmires.
(d) The president.
4. Who slides down the banister first and laughs?
5. What character has been put in charge of the Baudelaire orphans?
(a) Count Olaf.
(b) The Narrator.
(c) The State.
(d) Mr. Poe.
6. During their dinner at Café Salmonella, what does Jerome tell the children he can't stand?
7. What is Mr. Poe's job description?
(a) A banker.
(b) A social worker.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A teacher.
8. What is Sunny's bedroom filled with?
(b) Toys suitable for babies with softer teeth.
(c) Toys for teenagers.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what two words does the narrator say the book will show the difference between?
(a) Happy and sad.
(b) Brave and scared.
(c) Bad and good.
(d) Nervous and anxious.
10. What is the one thing Violet cannot find in her bedroom at the Squalor's penthouse apartment?
(a) Video games.
11. Who shows up at the onset of Chapter 4 dressed in a disguise?
(a) Jerome Squalor
(b) The Quagmires.
(c) Mr. Poe.
(d) Count Olaf.
12. Why does the narrator state that the streets sounded like fish?
(a) The pavement is always wet from the sea breeze.
(b) Fish noises are played throughout the day.
(c) Fish live there and make noises.
(d) The streets are rigged with fish sounds.
13. What does Violet hope the new guardians will have for her when she gets to the apartment?
(d) A separate bedroom.
14. Why does the narrator state the dictionary is more pleasant than reading this book?
(a) You can skip to more pleasant words.
(b) There is no setting.
(c) There is no plot.
(d) You can close the book when you want.
15. What kind of restaurant is Cafe Salmonella?
(a) A hamburger restaurant.
(b) An Italian restaurant.
(c) A theme restaurant.
(d) A dessert restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Squalor, what is his wife most attentive to?
2. What does Klaus hope his new guardians will have for him when he gets to the apartment?
3. What two names does Sunny yell out to help her siblings navigate the Squalor's penthouse apartment?
4. What is one of the things the Baudelaire children are afraid has happened since Gunther arrived?
5. As Sunny is getting undressed, what is the one word she says that casts a long shadow over the Baudelaires?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)