|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the oldest Baudelaire orphan?
2. During the first few days in the penthouse, what happens once the Baudelaire children return to the penthouse?
(a) They get hopelessly lost.
(b) They eat food.
(c) They get hopelessly lazy.
(d) They get very sad.
3. Toward the end of chapter two, what does Esme find out from a phone call is suddenly "in."
(c) Hot dogs.
4. Why does the narrator state the dictionary is more pleasant than reading this book?
(a) There is no setting.
(b) You can skip to more pleasant words.
(c) You can close the book when you want.
(d) There is no plot.
5. What do the Baudelaire children believe Gunther will try to do?
(a) Kidnap them.
(b) Harm the Squalors.
(c) Get his hands on their fortune.
(d) Hurt them.
6. As Sunny is getting undressed, what is the one word she says that casts a long shadow over the Baudelaires?
(c) Leave me alone.
7. Where is Café Salmonella located?
(a) The Fish District.
(c) At the beach.
(d) On Dark Avenue.
8. Who are the orphans' new guardians?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dark.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Green.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Squalor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
9. How many windows are in the Squalor penthouse, according to the narrator?
10. Why does Jerome not continue to support the children's claim about Gunther's identity?
(a) Jerome backs down because he's afraid of her.
(b) Jerome backs down because he likes Gunther.
(c) Jerome backs down because he agrees.
(d) Jerome backs down because Esme threatens to put him out.
11. What is missing on the orphans' new street?
(a) Street lamps.
(c) Street signs.
12. How many floors down is it from the Squalor's penthouse apartment to the bottom floor?
13. On the way home from Café Salmonella, what does the taxicab pass that makes the children remember their parents?
(a) The Fish District.
(b) The circus.
(c) The beach.
(d) The mall.
14. When Jerome and the children arrive back home from their dinner at Café Salmonella, what does the doorman tell them is now "in"?
(d) Ocean decorating.
15. What type of ice cream does the narrator at the beginning of Chapter 1 state you may be nervous about eating?
(a) Chocolate ice cream.
(b) Prune ice cream.
(c) Vanilla ice cream.
(d) Expired ice cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the In Auction?
2. Why does Mrs. Squalor want to adopt the children?
3. What is Sunny's bedroom filled with?
4. How could the Baudelaire children tell the clothes would dwarf them by comparison?
5. What is Mr. Poe's job description?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)