Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Chapter 1
1. Why is the meaning of "nervous" and "anxious" important to the reader's understanding of the novel?
2. How does the atmosphere on Dark Avenue mirror the orphans' feelings in Chapter 1?
3. What is the importance of the doorman's strange clothing?
4. What is the importance of the Baudelaire orphans' new guardians being named Squalor?
5. What is ironic about Mr. Poe telling the children about the staircase, "it's all uphill from here"?
6. What is the importance of the Baudelaire orphans' friends...
This section contains 1,060 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)