|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ovid explain the need for a book on the Cures for Love?
2. Who inspires Ovid to write this long poem for women?
3. Which of the following best describes the content of The Art of Love Book 3?
4. Which of the following is a statement that Ovid makes?
5. What doe Ovid recommend doing if a girl asks you a question about a float in a parade and you do not know the answer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of language does Ovid recommend using when writing to a girl?
2. What advice does Ovid give regarding makeup? What does he say about how much to wear and when to apply it?
3. What is Ovid referring to when he says "A fire's blown up by the wind, by the wind extinguished: a gentle breeze fans the flame, a harder gust puts it out?"
4. Does Ovid ever recommend crying? When?
5. Are Daedalus and his son successful in their flight? What happens?
6. What advice does Ovid give women regarding hair?
7. Why does Ovid like to promise gifts?
8. What does Ovid recommend to women do regarding any personal flaws they might have?
9. According to Ovid in The Art of Love book 2, what difference is there between being a wealthy lover and a poor one?
10. What does Ovid say about time apart in a relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the advice that Ovid gives to men and/or women regarding what to do to be successful in obtaining and securing a lover.
Part 1. What suggestions does he make regarding appearance?
Part 2. What suggestions does he make regarding behavior?
Part 3. How accurate or valuable to you feel his advice is?
Part 4. Is any, most, or all of it still applicable today? What has changed and what hasn't?
Essay Topic 2
After the Cures For Love, there is a fragment of the text that remains from his poem On Facial Treatment for Ladies. This fragment gives us a glimpse into what makeup and its applications might have been like two thousand years ago in Rome. Further this text with some research on the side and discuss the history and changes of makeup over time.
Part 1. Summarize and explain the information in On Facial Treatment for Ladies and other sources you have used.
Part 2. What would it have been like to use cosmetics as they were then?
Part 3. How have cosmetics changed over time to become how they are today? How is the experience of the user different?
Essay Topic 3
Ovid's erotic poems are written in elegiac couplets. Discuss this choice of meter form.
Part 1. What are the component parts of meter?
Part 2. What is a system of scansion and how is it used?
Part 3. What are elegiac couplets? What problems are there in translating this meter from the Latin?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)