|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ovid recommend doing during a separation?
2. Which of the following does Ovid suggest is a bad idea?
3. Which of the following does Ovid use to describe the best time to end a love affair?
4. What does Ovid NOT recommend doing with your hair to appear attractive to women?
5. What does Ovid say of "ladies plucking their first gray hairs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ovid say about beauty in The Art of Love book 2? What advice does he give to prepare for this?
2. What sort of language does Ovid recommend using when writing to a girl?
3. What does Ovid recommend your behavior be like towards a lover you are trying to get over?
4. What does Ovid say about time apart in a relationship?
5. What element does Ovid say is most important when playing games? Why?
6. What advice does Ovid give regarding the maids and servants of a lover?
7. According to Ovid in The Art of Love book 2, what difference is there between being a wealthy lover and a poor one?
8. What places does Ovid recommend for finding women?
9. What does Ovid say about the way a woman walks and carries herself?
10. Are Daedalus and his son successful in their flight? What happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assuming that Ovid has not created a persona for his poems, what is the nature of the man we get to know through his poems?
Part 1. Is it likely that Ovid was writing through a persona or that his poems are from personal experience?
Part 2. What is his character like in the poems? Does it evolve?
Part 3. What logical life history or situation can explain his changing nature?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of his book, Ovid follows classical tradition and evokes his muse. Write an essay about muses.
Part 1. What is a muse?
Part 2. Who are the nine muses and what does each of them do?
Part 3. What relationship do poets like Ovid have with the muses?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography on the author Ovid.
Part 1. When and where does Ovid live? What does he pursue as a career? Is he successful in his career?
Part 2. When does Ovid start writing poetry? Is he able to create a reputation for himself as a good poet?
Part 3. What reason is given for his banished from Rome? How does his life end?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)