|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ovid encourage at parties?
(a) Let the girl see passion in your eyes.
(b) Ambiguous phrases that make the girl feel they are for her.
(c) Befriending the girl's escort.
(d) All of the above.
2. What advice does Ovid give involving your rivals in love?
(a) Let yourself be cheated on.
(b) Oil the door for them.
(c) Do not expose your rivals.
(d) All of the above.
3. What advice is given regarding laughing?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Keep your teeth concealed behind your lips.
(c) Learn how to do it without opening your mouth too wide.
(d) Do not bray or go cross-eyed.
4. Which of the following best characterizes Ovid's motivation for his manual on how to subdue love?
(a) Pity toward the unlucky in love.
(b) Generosity to mankind.
(c) Vengeance against love.
(d) Subversiveness to morality.
5. What warning does Ovid give about practicing infidelity?
(a) It is difficult keeping two women emotionally satisfied.
(b) Infidelity can make one's partner become unfaithful.
(c) All of the above.
(d) The risk of being caught is not worth the gains.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the theater, where does Ovid recommend looking for a mistress?
2. Which hairstyle does Ovid favor?
3. When does Ovid say is an appropriate time to make a definitive bold move on a girl?
4. What would happen if Daedalus or his son flew too high?
5. What does Ovid recommend as a powerful tool historically used to get over a love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ovid feel about flattery?
2. Does Ovid recommend seclusion as a cure for love? What does he say on the subject?
3. Summarize the story of Procris and Cephalus. What point does Ovid make?
4. What does Ovid recommend your behavior be like towards a lover you are trying to get over?
5. What is Ovid's advice regarding how much to drink at parties?
6. How would you describe Ovid's general approach to women as portrayed in The Art of Love?
7. What does Ovid recommend doing should your lover fall ill?
8. What advice does Ovid give regarding makeup? What does he say about how much to wear and when to apply it?
9. What advice does Ovid give women regarding hair?
10. What advice does Ovid give regarding the maids and servants of a lover?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)