|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose baby does Ovid suppose Corinna is carrying when she tries to get an abortion?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) Her other lover's.
(c) Her husband's.
2. When Augustus's daughter Julia reaches adulthood, what does she gain notoriety for?
(a) Her ability as an orator.
(b) Marrying the caesar who is her stepfather.
(d) Her subversive political nature.
3. Who does Ovid threaten with exposure if she denies him in Amores 2:8?
(a) Corinna's best friend.
(c) Corinna's lady maid, Cypassis.
(d) Caesar's daughter.
4. What does Ovid define as his natural weapons in Amores 2:1?
(a) Looks and prowess.
(b) Poetry and soft words.
(c) Expressions and entreaties.
(d) Threats and entreaties.
5. What spectacle does Ovid watch in Amores 3:2?
(a) Chariot races.
(b) The forum.
(d) The gods fighting for influence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ovid do to defend his actions in Amores 1:7?
2. What is the forte of the parrot that dies in Amores 2:6?
3. What story does Ovid tell in Amores 3:6 in hopes of winning sympathy?
4. In Amores 2:5, what does Ovid witness his lover doing?
5. What problem does Ovid have in Amores 2:10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Corinna and Ovid in Amores book 1? What is the major impediment that stands in their way?
2. What difference does Ovid and his father have about his career?
3. Who is Macer and what is Ovid's relationship with him?
4. Does Ovid plan or try to join the military? Why or why not?
5. Explain the incident with Cypassis who is Corinna's lady maid.
6. Why is Ovid banished from Rome?
7. What happens to Ovid after his banishment? How long does he live?
8. Describe Ovid at the chariot races.
9. Why is Elegy lame and "short in one foot" in the beginning of Amores book 2?
10. How does Ovid embody the dilemma between writing love poems and writing tragedies in Amores Book 3?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)