|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ovid feel about kissing and telling?
(a) Do not do it.
(b) It will bolster your reputation as a lover.
(c) Maintain a playful air about it.
(d) Always say good things about your lover and she will forgive you.
2. What does Ovid recommend as an effective way to rekindle the passion of a lover that has cooled?
(a) Alternate between flattering her and criticizing her.
(b) Be constantly at her side.
(c) Remove yourself and wait for her to come to you.
(d) Give her a rival.
3. What does Ovid say about being around people in love?
(a) Being around people in love will turn your eyes to new possibilities.
(b) To observe the lovesick infects the eyes that watch them.
(c) None of the above.
(d) It is useful to compare your own relationship disfavorably with theirs.
4. Which of the following best represents Ovid's recommendations for makeup?
(a) Makeup only detracts from natural beauty and is gross to touch.
(b) Young women should not wear it but older women should.
(c) Some is good, but do not wearn too much.
(d) Use plenty so it will not wear off during the day.
5. What does Ovid say is the secret to finesse at lovemaking?
6. What does Ovid recommend as a powerful tool historically used to get over a love?
(a) Picking fights with your partner every chance you get.
(b) Getting very drunk.
(c) Taking another lover.
(d) Writing love poetry.
7. What kind of gifts does Ovid say you should give to keep your lover?
(a) The costlier gifts the better.
(b) Small gifts that are chosen with skill and discretion.
(c) No gifts should be given.
(d) Whatever she asks for.
8. What does Ovid say will happen if you send your intended mistress a letter in sophisticated and high brow language?
(a) She will be impressed and think you educated.
(b) She will assume you can afford expensive gifts.
(c) She will be humbled.
(d) It is likely to repel her.
9. What does Ovid recommend regarding writing letters?
(a) Disguise your handwriting.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Use a trustworthy maid to carry them.
(d) Write elegantly in everyday language.
10. Which hairstyle does Ovid favor?
(a) Loose, long, and wild.
(b) He thinks it should vary depending on the woman.
(c) Braided like Diana.
(d) Piled on top.
11. What does Ovid NOT recommend doing with your hair to appear attractive to women?
(a) Keep it expertly trimmed.
(b) Curl it.
(c) Make sure it's not growing out your nose.
(d) None of the above.
12. Where does Ovid claim to find the most pleasure?
(a) With a woman experiencing the same pleasure he is.
(b) When a woman is inexperienced and young.
(c) When a woman knows her place and is focused on his pleasure.
(d) When a woman resists and it gets rough.
13. Whose concerns does Ovid address first thing in The Cures for Love?
(a) His muse.
14. According to Ovid, how much should you talk to a girl when you are leaving her?
(a) As much as you can because it will make it real.
(b) Not at all. Stay silent.
(c) Write her a letter that puts the blame on you.
(d) Only if she asks.
15. What does Ovid say of "ladies plucking their first gray hairs"?
(a) They are a field worth sowing.
(b) Wisdom makes passion grow dim.
(c) They have grown wise to his tricks and are difficult to woo.
(d) They no longer have the ardor for best lovemaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best summarizes a lot of Ovid's advice in The Art of Love book 3?
2. What does Ovid recommend to keep women invested in a relationship?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Ovid's motivation for his manual on how to subdue love?
4. Who is Ovid's target audience when writing The Art of Love Book 3?
5. What does Ovid say regarding drinking while trying to cure love?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)