|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the implied reason that Ovid does not have a military career?
(a) There is a medical reason he was unable to serve.
(b) His father is wealthy enough to buy him out of the duty.
(c) He is too ambitious politically.
(d) Ovid did not want to become a soldier.
2. What does Ovid compare in Amores 1:9?
(a) Lovers and politicians.
(b) Lovers and spouses.
(c) Lovers and soldiers.
(d) Lovers and whores.
3. What does Ovid do after his first marriage ends?
(a) Spends time with Macer.
(b) Finishes his education.
(d) All the above.
4. In the third poem of Amores, what promise does Ovid make?
(a) To win the affection of the object of his desire.
(b) Fidelity and eternal devotion.
(c) Not to stop until he has bedded a certain influential married woman.
(d) To always be honest and spurn deceit.
5. Who is Macer?
(a) Ovid's father.
(b) Ovid's school fellow.
(c) Ovid's master of education.
(d) The wealthy merchant that sent him to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Augustus's daughter Julia reaches adulthood, what does she gain notoriety for?
2. What time period does Ovid live in?
3. According to Ovid, what happens when people resist the powers of love?
4. What happens that Ovid regrets instantly in Amores 1:7?
5. How many times does Ovid marry?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)