|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ovid compare in Amores 1:9?
(a) Lovers and politicians.
(b) Lovers and soldiers.
(c) Lovers and spouses.
(d) Lovers and whores.
2. What does Ovid say about Nape who is Corinna's handmaid?
(a) She is a great go-between.
(b) She meddles in affairs that are not hers.
(c) She has alterior motives.
(d) She is easy to deceive.
3. According to Ovid, what happens when people resist the powers of love?
(a) Drowning in the sea.
(b) Isolation and denial.
(c) A much more thorough "going-over" than those who admit they are hooked.
(d) A life on land instead of in the skies.
4. Which of the following best characterizes Ovid's poetry?
(a) Undercuts the regime in power.
(b) Shows toleration for marital infidelity.
(c) Is bucolic and pastoral.
(d) None of the above.
5. What does Ovid compare resisting the powers of love to?
(a) A horse resisting its harness.
(b) Fighting back the tide.
(c) A bird deciding not to fly.
(d) A hermit closing his eyes to the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ovid berate the writing tablet in Amores 1:12?
2. What is one of the clear causes of Ovid's banishment from Rome?
3. Does Ovid have children?
4. Which of the following can best be said about Ovid?
5. In the third poem of Amores, what promise does Ovid make?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)