|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Ovid overhear a person giving Corinna in Amores 1:8?
(a) How to use love for financial advantage.
(b) That she had better no entertain any other lovers.
(c) How to end the relationship with Ovid.
(d) How to make herself more attractive.
2. To whom is Ovid speaking in Amores 1:6 as he sits outside the door?
(a) His lover.
(b) The gods.
(c) The Porter.
3. What is the implied reason that Ovid does not have a military career?
(a) He is too ambitious politically.
(b) His father is wealthy enough to buy him out of the duty.
(c) There is a medical reason he was unable to serve.
(d) Ovid did not want to become a soldier.
4. What career does Ovid's education meant to prepare him for?
(a) Ovid's education is in law so he could be a statesman.
(b) Ovid studies business and trade so he could take over his father's empire.
(c) Ovid studies medicine to be a doctor.
(d) Ovid studies the classics so he could be a writer.
5. Which of the following could be a quote from Amores 1:8?
(a) All of the above.
(b) "But never stay angry too long. A festering quarrel can make permanent enemies."
(c) "Stop worshipping genius, try generosity just for a change."
(d) "A certain bitch, snake, hag."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the fifth poem of Amores Book I, what time of day is it?
2. What argument does Ovid make for his case in Amores 1:10?
3. What is Ovid hoping will happen as he waits outside the door in Amores 1:6?
4. What is one of the clear causes of Ovid's banishment from Rome?
5. Which of the following best characterizes the leadership of the Roman Empire during Ovid's life?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)