|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ovid's wife do when he is banished?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Lobby for his return but stay in Rome.
(c) Accompany him in exile.
(d) Annul the marriage.
2. How does Ovid's first marriage end?
(a) None of the above.
(b) His father casts out his wife after catching her in an affair.
(c) He loses his wife and child in childbirth.
(d) Divorce after only a couple years.
3. What does Ovid compare resisting the powers of love to?
(a) A horse resisting its harness.
(b) A hermit closing his eyes to the world.
(c) A bird deciding not to fly.
(d) Fighting back the tide.
4. Why does Corinna's hair fall out?
(a) She falls ill.
(b) She stops eating to lose weight.
(c) Her husband pulls it out in anger.
(d) She uses too many rinses to color it.
5. What does Ovid do to defend his actions in Amores 1:7?
(a) Criticise's his lover's attitude.
(b) Cite instances of physical abuse in the gods.
(c) Explains all lovers take risks.
(d) Explains love drives one to irrational actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Augustus?
2. Who is Macer?
3. Where is Ovid born?
4. When Augustus's daughter Julia reaches adulthood, what does she gain notoriety for?
5. Why does Ovid berate the writing tablet in Amores 1:12?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)