|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Ovid from writing the epic poem about warfare he sets out to write?
(a) Cupid shoots him with an arrow.
(b) He must write something the people of Rome want to read.
(c) It is the topic of caesars and leaders, and he is but a man.
(d) He feels the topic too lofty for his verse.
2. What advice does Ovid overhear a person giving Corinna in Amores 1:8?
(a) How to use love for financial advantage.
(b) How to end the relationship with Ovid.
(c) How to make herself more attractive.
(d) That she had better no entertain any other lovers.
3. Why does Ovid berate the writing tablet in Amores 1:12?
(a) None of the above.
(b) His chalk verses are rubbed off.
(c) Corinna returns it to him, saying she cannot meet him today.
(d) It is not big enough to hold everything he wants to say.
4. What do people say about Ovid's speeches?
(a) They can bring peace between warring nations.
(b) They increase patriotism.
(c) His poetic ability is clear in them.
(d) They motivate the masses.
5. Who is Ovid trying to persuade to stay away in Amores 1:13?
(a) Aurora, the dawn.
(b) His father from visiting.
(d) Corinna's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third poem of Amores, what promise does Ovid make?
2. Which of the following best characterizes the leadership of the Roman Empire during Ovid's life?
3. Which of the following best characterizes Ovid's poetry?
4. Who is Augustus?
5. Which of the following could be a quote from Amores 1:8?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)