|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, The Amores : Chapter 1, Book 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Augustus's daughter Julia reaches adulthood, what does she gain notoriety for?
(a) Her subversive political nature.
(b) Marrying the caesar who is her stepfather.
(d) Her ability as an orator.
2. Which of the following could be a quote from Amores 1:8?
(a) All of the above.
(b) "Stop worshipping genius, try generosity just for a change."
(c) "A certain bitch, snake, hag."
(d) "But never stay angry too long. A festering quarrel can make permanent enemies."
3. What is the implied reason that Ovid does not have a military career?
(a) His father is wealthy enough to buy him out of the duty.
(b) There is a medical reason he was unable to serve.
(c) Ovid did not want to become a soldier.
(d) He is too ambitious politically.
4. When does Ovid marry for the first time?
(a) When he is only a teenager.
(b) As soon as he finishes his education.
(c) When he turns forty.
(d) When he is settled into his career.
5. Which of the following best characterizes Ovid's poetry?
(a) None of the above.
(b) Shows toleration for marital infidelity.
(c) Undercuts the regime in power.
(d) Is bucolic and pastoral.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ovid's first marriage end?
2. How much focus does Ovid put on poetry when he finishes his education?
3. What does Ovid do to defend his actions in Amores 1:7?
4. What does Ovid compare resisting the powers of love to?
5. What career does Ovid's education meant to prepare him for?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)