Book 1, Prefaces & Introduction : Chapter 1, Prefaces and Introductions
• Ovid is born outside of Rome a few years before Christ.
• His parents move the family to Rome when he is young for the sake of his education.
• Although Ovid shows talent as a poet from a young age, his father encourages him to become a senator because there is no money in poetry.
• Rome is founded on combined military and political leadership, so political leaders also have to have strong military careers.
• Ovid is groomed for a political career that did not require military service, and it is implied that there is a medical reason for this.
• Ovid obeys his father and studies law under a master called Macer. He continues to develop his poetry under Macer's tutelage.
• Ovid marries three times. His first marriage occurs when he is very young. He finishes his education after his divorce from his...
This section contains 4,149 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)