|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a troupe of actors from a repertory company performing in Rubtsovsk?
2. What disease ran rampant during the Rudomins' second summer in Siberia?
3. What did Raya use to make goulash for Esther's 12th birthday party?
4. What skill did Esther learn from Natasha?
5. What was made in one of the new factories that was built in Rubtsovsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a chiffarobe?
2. What did Samuel say in his first letter?
3. How did Raisa Nikitovna respond when Esther asked permission to enter the declamation contest?
4. Who was Ivan Petrovich?
5. What was the boy who was interested in Esther like?
6. What was the reason that Svetlana didn't like Esther?
7. What work did Uncle Yozia find for Esther?
8. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
9. How did the children of Rubtsovsk help their parents with the fuel needed to heat their homes?
10. Where was the only place that Esther forgot the cold and Siberia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esther developed a first impression of Makrinin and Popravka that proved to be true over time. Compare and contrast Makrinin and Popravka.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the town where Esther lived and what it was like to grow up there.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, Esther said that trouble became their constant companion. Discuss why Esther thought that trouble was her family's constant companion.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)