|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was Esther able to get when she sold something in Chapter 14?
2. What color gown did Esther hope to borrow for a masquerade?
3. In Chapter 18, what color shoes did a man give Esther?
4. What was one of the gifts that Esther received for her 12th birthday?
5. What did Raya use to make goulash for Esther's 12th birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was the only place that Esther forgot the cold and Siberia?
2. During the second Summer Esther spent in Siberia, who was her and the other girls' super-heroine?
3. What work did Uncle Yozia find for Esther?
4. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
5. Why did Raya wish she had admitted that it was her brother who knocked on her door their last day in Vilna?
6. Why didn't Esther do well at the declamation contest?
7. How did Raisa Nikitovna respond when Esther asked permission to enter the declamation contest?
8. Why did all heads turn when Marya Nikolayevna made her appearance?
9. What was a chiffarobe?
10. What did Samuel say in his first letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, the Poles learned that they had received amnesty. Discuss why the Poles received amnesty and how it affected their lives.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the town where Esther lived and what it was like to grow up there.
Essay Topic 3
The baracholka provided hope. Discuss the baracholka and why it provided hope to the Rudomins and to the native peoples who attended it.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)