|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color gown did Esther hope to borrow for a masquerade?
2. What instrument did Svetlana play?
3. What color were Anna Semyonovna's eyes?
4. What was Uncle Yozia's occupation?
5. What instrument did Shurik play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Esther believe at first that Svetlana was a snob?
2. What was a chiffarobe?
3. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
4. How did the children of Rubtsovsk help their parents with the fuel needed to heat their homes?
5. During the second Summer Esther spent in Siberia, who was her and the other girls' super-heroine?
6. How was Esther's birthday celebrated in Vilna?
7. How did Esther get a pair of shoes?
8. What did Samuel say in his first letter?
9. Why was it so difficult to walk on the steppe in the Spring?
10. What job did the children in Rubtsovsk have to perform on Sunday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esther worked hard to make a sweater for Marya Nikolayevna even under very trying conditions and with very little to work with. Discuss work ethic and how Esther demonstrated that she had a strong work ethic.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 18, Esther was determined to get a pair of shoes. Discuss incidents from the book that show that Esther had the character trait of determination.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the town where Esther lived and what it was like to grow up there.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)