|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rubles did Esther have to have for her school lunch?
2. What color dress did the belle of the masquerade wear?
3. What did Esther use to dye hospital gauze that she used for curtains in her family's hut?
4. What color hair did the other girl have who was also not accepted by the other schoolchildren?
5. Where did Uncle Yozia and his wife Zaya live before they moved to Rubtsovsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
2. How did Esther have to sleep when they moved away from Yosif's house?
3. What did the radio bring that Esther listened to in Chapter 19?
4. Why did all heads turn when Marya Nikolayevna made her appearance?
5. How did Esther try to attract the attention of Yuri?
6. Where was the only place that Esther forgot the cold and Siberia?
7. How did the children of Rubtsovsk help their parents with the fuel needed to heat their homes?
8. Why didn't Esther do well at the declamation contest?
9. How did Grandmother Anna and Raya react when Esther told them she lost a 30-ruble note?
10. How did Esther measure Marya for a sweater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raya was always reluctant to accept help because of her pride. Discuss pride, the importance of pride to the Rudomins, and how it affected their behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Esther was not accepted by her classmates at first and how she gained friends.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 18, Esther was determined to get a pair of shoes. Discuss incidents from the book that show that Esther had the character trait of determination.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)