|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide were the beds in the barracks where the former prisoners were to stay?
2. What river ran through the town where Esther lived?
3. What month was it when the prisoners got off the train?
4. What color dress did Grandmother Anna wear when she and Esther went to the village?
5. How many openings provided light and air in the railroad car the Rudomins were put into?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Esther see at night when there was no storm brewing?
2. When Esther returned from taking the matchbox filled with jewels to her grandmother, who was at the door?
3. Who took charge in the railroad car the Rudomins were packed into?
4. Why did Esther say that history was taught in Rubtsovsk with some curious omissions?
5. Who bought the slip that Esther and her grandmother brought to trade?
6. What did Esther pray when the moon came up the first night she spent at the gypsum mine?
7. Why were the prisoners called for a meeting in Chapter 5?
8. What buildings did Esther see in Rubtsovsk when she went with her grandmother?
9. How did Esther describe her Great-grandmother Reisa?
10. What did the prisoners learn at a meeting at the beginning of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, the Poles learned that they had received amnesty. Discuss why the Poles received amnesty and how it affected their lives.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, Esther said that trouble became their constant companion. Discuss why Esther thought that trouble was her family's constant companion.
Essay Topic 3
Living conditions were primitive at the mine. Discuss the living conditions at the gypsum mine.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)