|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners given occasionally to eat as a special treat?
2. What group of people did Esther see in Rubtsovsk?
3. In Chapter 5, how many people were allowed to go to the village at a time?
4. What did Grandmother Anna take to trade in Rubtsovsk?
5. What scarred the faces of some of the people in Rubtsovsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What buildings did Esther see in Rubtsovsk when she went with her grandmother?
2. Why was Vilna known as the Jerusalem of Europe?
3. When Esther returned from taking the matchbox filled with jewels to her grandmother, who was at the door?
4. What did the prisoners learn at a meeting at the beginning of Chapter 6?
5. What did Rubtsovsk look like when Esther first saw it?
6. Describe Esther's house.
7. How did Esther describe her Great-grandmother Reisa?
8. What did Esther see at night when there was no storm brewing?
9. How was food purchased when the Rudomins were on the train?
10. What did Grandmother and Mrs. Kaftal like to talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Esther and her mother.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the prisoners' daily routine and how it affected them when they worked at the gypsum mine.
Essay Topic 3
Esther worked hard to make a sweater for Marya Nikolayevna even under very trying conditions and with very little to work with. Discuss work ethic and how Esther demonstrated that she had a strong work ethic.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)