|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river ran through the town where Esther lived?
2. What street did Esther live on in Vilna?
3. How many people were crammed into the schoolroom to sleep?
4. About how long did the Rudomins and others travel before they were allowed off the train?
5. How many separate apartments were in Esther's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Makrinin and what was he like?
2. How did the Rudomins learn that Solomon had died? Another deportee from a labor camp, a former lawyer, came to see the Rudomins. He told them that Solomon had died from pneumonia.
3. What did the prisoners learn at a meeting at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. What could Esther see from the top of Castle Hill?
5. What was the city of Vilna like?
6. Who bought the slip that Esther and her grandmother brought to trade?
7. What did Grandmother and Mrs. Kaftal like to talk about?
8. What did Esther and her grandmother buy in Rubtsovsk?
9. What techniques did Raya learn for protecting herself in the Siberian winter?
10. What was a Siberian electrical storm like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Living conditions were primitive at the mine. Discuss the living conditions at the gypsum mine.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Esther and her mother.
Essay Topic 3
The baracholka provided hope. Discuss the baracholka and why it provided hope to the Rudomins and to the native peoples who attended it.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)