|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hill where Esther liked to go to look down on her hometown?
2. How much did an egg cost in Rubtsovsk?
3. What did Raya put on her skin to help prevent frostbite?
4. How many people were packed into the railroad car?
5. What did Nina want Raya to give her in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Esther's house.
2. How did Great-grandmother Reisa die?
3. How did Esther describe her Great-grandmother Reisa?
4. What was a Siberian electrical storm like?
5. Who were the people who lived in Siberia when the Polish people were taken there?
6. What jobs were the prisoners who worked in the mines given?
7. Why did Esther refuse to go to nursery school when she was four?
8. Why were the prisoners called for a meeting in Chapter 5?
9. How did Easter feel when she got off the train in Chapter 3?
10. Why did Esther say that history was taught in Rubtsovsk with some curious omissions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Esther was not accepted by her classmates at first and how she gained friends.
Essay Topic 2
Esther commented that the prisoners on the train slept much of the time. Describe the train trip and what it was like to travel in the cattle car.
Essay Topic 3
The baracholka provided hope. Discuss the baracholka and why it provided hope to the Rudomins and to the native peoples who attended it.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)