|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What payment was a woman willing to pay Esther to make two sweaters from unused wool?
(b) Rocking chair.
2. What American movie did Esther see in Chapter 10?
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) The Best Years of Our Lives.
(d) Charlie's Aunt.
3. What time did Esther's escort pick her up for the masquerade?
4. Including Esther, how many children walked together to school in a convoy?
5. What was a troupe of actors from a repertory company performing in Rubtsovsk?
Short Answer Questions
1. What would there be to eat sometimes when Raya spent time with Uncle Yozia and Aunt Zaya?
2. Who was one of Raya's favorite Russian writers?
3. What disease ran rampant during the Rudomins' second summer in Siberia?
4. What did Esther take to sell to get money in Chapter 14?
5. What was the name of the other girl at Esther's new school who didn't quite fit in with the other children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
2. How did the children of Rubtsovsk help their parents with the fuel needed to heat their homes?
3. What did Samuel say in his first letter?
4. What was a chiffarobe?
5. During the second Summer Esther spent in Siberia, who was her and the other girls' super-heroine?
6. Why did Esther believe at first that Svetlana was a snob?
7. Why was it so difficult to walk on the steppe in the Spring?
8. Where was the only place that Esther forgot the cold and Siberia?
9. How was Esther's birthday celebrated in Vilna?
10. Why didn't Esther do well at the declamation contest?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)