|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't a mother knit a sweater for her daughter, but instead had Esther knit it?
(a) She had lost most of one hand.
(b) She didn't know how to knit.
(c) She didn't have time.
(d) She didn't want her daughter to see her knitting.
2. What was Marya's husband's occupation?
(d) Army officer.
3. In Chapter 14, how many rubles were left to get Esther, Raya, and Anna through the month?
4. When Samuel left for the front lines, how much food did the Rudomins have in their food cellar?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 2 months.
5. Who was one of Raya's favorite Russian writers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the gifts that Esther received for her 12th birthday?
2. What disease ran rampant during the Rudomins' second summer in Siberia?
3. How far did Esther have to walk to attend her new school in Chapter 18?
4. What paper did the Rudomins use to write to Samuel?
5. What color eyes did the boy who Esther fell in love with have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Raisa Nikitovna respond when Esther asked permission to enter the declamation contest?
2. What did the radio bring that Esther listened to in Chapter 19?
3. How did Esther try to attract the attention of Yuri?
4. How did Esther have to sleep when they moved away from Yosif's house?
5. What work did Uncle Yozia find for Esther?
6. Who were Uncle Yozia and Zaya?
7. How did the children of Rubtsovsk help their parents with the fuel needed to heat their homes?
8. Who was Ivan Petrovich?
9. What job did the children in Rubtsovsk have to perform on Sunday?
10. How did Esther get a pair of shoes?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)