|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Esther at the beginning of the book?
2. What territory were the prisoners in when the train stopped?
3. What was Esther's father's occupation?
(a) Electrical engineer.
4. What didn't Esther water at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Lilac bush.
(b) Spirea bush.
5. What illness caused Esther to spend a few days alone in the room they all shared?
(c) Chicken Pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raced after the truck that took Esther, her parents, and grandparents to the train?
2. What did Nina want Raya to give her in Chapter 6?
3. What design was on the wallpaper in Esther's room?
4. What mountains did Esther's father believe that he saw while they were traveling on the train?
5. In Chapter 5, how many people were allowed to go to the village at a time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Rudomins learn that Solomon had died? Another deportee from a labor camp, a former lawyer, came to see the Rudomins. He told them that Solomon had died from pneumonia.
2. How did Easter feel when she got off the train in Chapter 3?
3. Who was Makrinin and what was he like?
4. What did Grandmother and Mrs. Kaftal like to talk about?
5. What did Esther pray when the moon came up the first night she spent at the gypsum mine?
6. Why was Vilna known as the Jerusalem of Europe?
7. What jobs were the prisoners who worked in the mines given?
8. Why were the prisoners called for a meeting in Chapter 5?
9. How did everyone help Esther prepare herself for school?
10. What did Rubtsovsk look like when Esther first saw it?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)