|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Uncle Yozia and his wife Zaya live before they moved to Rubtsovsk?
2. What was Natasha's baby given when she cried?
(b) Wooden toy.
(c) Rag soaked in sugar water to suck on.
3. Why didn't a mother knit a sweater for her daughter, but instead had Esther knit it?
(a) She didn't have time.
(b) She had lost most of one hand.
(c) She didn't want her daughter to see her knitting.
(d) She didn't know how to knit.
4. What did Esther earn when she knit a sweater for a little girl?
(b) A pair of boots.
(c) Milk and potatoes.
(d) A book.
5. In Chapter 14, how much longer did Esther believe that the potatoes in their cellar would last?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 6 weeks.
6. In Chapter 18, what color shoes did a man give Esther?
(b) Navy blue.
7. What did it cost to see the American movie?
(a) 3 rubles.
(b) 1 ruble.
(c) 4 rubles.
(d) 2 rubles.
8. Including Esther, how many children walked together to school in a convoy?
9. What American movie did Esther see in Chapter 10?
(a) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) Charlie's Aunt.
(d) The Best Years of Our Lives.
10. What time did Esther's escort pick her up for the masquerade?
11. What day of the week did the children of Rubtsovsk have to gather to haul bricks?
12. What was Zaya's occupation?
(a) Piano teacher.
(d) School teacher.
13. Where did Marya Nikolayevna live before she moved to Rubtsovsk?
(d) St. Petersburg.
14. What did Grandfather used to give the child whose flowers looked the best?
(a) A movie ticket.
(b) 50 groshes.
(d) A toy.
15. What was one of the gifts that Esther received for her 12th birthday?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Esther study for the declamation contest?
2. How many rubles did Esther have to have for her school lunch?
3. What type of paper did Esther and Miss Rachel use to make clowns ruffs and hats for birthday parties in Vilna?
4. What color dress did Anya lend Esther for the masquerade?
5. What type of fur did Marya wear?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)