|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of hat did Grandmother Anna wear on the train?
(a) Garbo slouch hat.
(b) Turban cloche.
(c) Tilt straw hat.
(d) Pillbox with feathers.
2. How many years after Esther arrived in Rubtsovsk, did it become a town of some industrial importance?
3. What month did the snows begin?
4. How old was Boris?
5. What was the name of Esther's governess?
(a) Miss Rachel.
(b) Miss Agnus.
(c) Miss Rebecca.
(d) Miss Bertha.
6. After Uncle David called, what did Esther's father wear when he went to Esther's grandfather's apartment?
(a) Dressing gown.
(c) Slacks and a dress shirt.
(d) Business suit.
7. What illness caused Esther to spend a few days alone in the room they all shared?
(c) Chicken Pox.
8. When was a pact made to give all Polish citizens amnesty?
(a) October 2.
(b) August 12.
(c) July 30.
(d) September 15.
9. What time were the prisoners forced to get up their first morning at the gypsum mines?
(a) 6 a.m.
(b) 5 a.m.
(c) 5:30 a.m.
(d) 6:30 a.m.
10. Where did Esther's father believe that they were traveling through?
11. Approximately how many people were taken to the gypsum mines?
12. How many separate apartments were in Esther's house?
13. How many of the Siberians had a chipped front tooth from eating sunflower seeds?
14. What did Solomon die from?
(d) Ulcerated liver.
15. How tall was Esther's grandmother?
(a) 4 ft. 11 in.
(b) 5 ft.
(c) 5 ft. 6 in.
(d) 5 ft. 2 in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours did it take Esther and Grandmother Anna to walk to Rubtsovsk?
2. How many days of mourning did Grandmother observe stretched out on the nari after Solomon died?
3. How many Jewish men gathered in the hut to pray with Samuel after he learned that his father died?
4. How long did it take before Esther and her grandmother were allowed to go to the village?
5. What was Esther's first meal on the train?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)