|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Goolrick note about people in comas?
(a) They talk a lot.
(b) They are not attractive.
(c) They are attractive.
(d) They look like they are sleeping.
2. What does Dodo try to get Goolrick to do to her?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Tie her up.
3. What does Goolrick do in the early morning the day following his mother's death?
(a) Leaves town.
(b) Robs a bank.
(d) Builds a cabinet.
4. Why is Goolrick happy the door is always locked?
(a) It keeps his family from bothering him.
(b) It feels like a prison.
(c) It keeps people out.
(d) It keeps him in.
5. To what does Goolrick compare his time at the hospital?
(c) The first few weeks of college.
(d) The first weeks of grade school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the family pretend Mother is dying from, to avoid reality?
2. What is the last contact Goolrick has with Dodo?
3. What did Goolrick's godfather's wife bring to the family following Father's death?
4. What happens when Goolrick's left arm is too damaged to cut?
5. Why did Goolrick's parents summon him home one Christmas to scream at him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how mother came to own a mink coat.
2. Describe the area where Mother and Father are buried.
3. Explain the situation when Teddy calls.
4. Explain why Goolrick's sister-in-law claims to hate him.
5. Describe the event with mother's blue and green striped dress.
6. Describe Goolrick's relationship with his female lover.
7. Describe Goolrick's state of mind at this point in the novel.
8. Explain why Goolrick's parents were so angry with him for writing his first book.
9. Describe the situation when Goolrick tried to help his mother with a wound on her elbow.
10. Describe mother's appearance.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)