|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Goolrick happy the door is always locked?
(a) It keeps people out.
(b) It keeps his family from bothering him.
(c) It keeps him in.
(d) It feels like a prison.
2. What singer did brother sing to Goolrick when he claimed he had broken his new stereo?
(a) Phil Collins.
(b) Bruce Springsteen.
(c) Paul McCartney.
(d) Rick Springfield.
3. What does Goolrick do on his thirty-fifth birthday?
(a) He overdoses.
(b) He slits his wrist.
(c) He drives his car off a cliff.
(d) He hangs himself.
4. What disease does Goolrick's mother have?
(a) Ulcerative Colitis.
(c) Lyme Disease.
5. What did mother make at the end of month when they were short on money?
(a) Welsh rarebit.
(b) Poached salmon.
(c) Cabbage soup.
(d) Grilled cheese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Goolrick purchase for his parents for which they never thanked him?
2. What did Goolrick's parents bring with them when they came down for brother's surgery?
3. Why did brother's wife hate Goolrick?
4. Where did Goolrick's brother serve when he was in the military?
5. To what does Goolrick compare his time at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe mother's appearance.
2. Describe how brother comes out of the coma.
3. Describe the situation when Goolrick tried to help his mother with a wound on her elbow.
4. Describe Goolrick's state of mind at this point in the novel.
5. Describe the environment Goolrick experienced as a child.
6. Explain the situation when Teddy calls.
7. Explain Goolrick's initial reaction to his friend's attempt, and his later reactions.
8. Explain what Goolrick meant when he said "things took on a magical quality" (pg 104).
9. Explain how the patients beat the addicts in volleyball.
10. Describe the circumstances that led to brother's CAT scan which revealed the aneurysm.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)