|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems surprising to Goolrick about the differences in human beings?
(a) They can be so mundane.
(b) They can be so similar.
(c) They can be so cruel.
(d) They can be so vastly different.
2. What happened often to the boys when they played a game down by the river with rocks?
(a) They would die.
(b) They would accidentally drop rocks on their heads.
(c) They would be arrested.
(d) They would be tattled on by the girls.
3. What does Mother need to stop doing in order to get well?
(c) Taking aspirin.
(d) Using drugs.
4. Why did Goolrick's parents summon him home one Christmas to scream at him?
(a) He wrote a book about the family.
(b) He flunked out of college.
(c) He went insane.
(d) He was arrested.
5. What does Goolrick do to steady his nerves that evening?
(d) Does drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the children call out for mother to do as she left each night?
2. What does Judy collect?
3. What does Dodo do that the other children cannot do?
4. What does Goolrick do instead of suicide?
5. What does Teddy call to inform the family about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how brother comes out of the coma.
2. Describe Goolrick's parents as he describes them by the end of the chapter.
3. Explain what Goolrick meant when he said "things took on a magical quality" (pg 104).
4. Explain why Goolrick is surprised at his emotions following his father's death.
5. Describe Goolrick's relationship with his male lover.
6. Explain the situation when Teddy calls.
7. Describe the environment Goolrick experienced as a child.
8. Explain the young man who joins the ward while Goolrick is there.
9. Describe the event with mother's blue and green striped dress.
10. Describe mother's appearance.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)