|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the psychiatrist say about addicts?
(a) They are lonely.
(b) They have no sense of limits.
(c) They are in misery.
(d) They are not intelligent.
2. How old was Goolrick's brother when he had an aneurysm?
3. Where did Goolrick's brother serve when he was in the military?
(c) New Jersey.
4. Why is Goolrick happy the door is always locked?
(a) It keeps his family from bothering him.
(b) It keeps people out.
(c) It keeps him in.
(d) It feels like a prison.
5. What did each person have to do each morning in the hospital?
(a) Run a mile.
(b) Feed the birds.
(c) Take a shower.
(d) Get dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the eighteen year old boy who lived in the neighborhood want that had belonged to Goolrick's father?
2. What does Dodo try to get Goolrick to do to her?
3. What did mother make at the end of month when they were short on money?
4. What does Goolrick note men and women had in his childhood?
5. What does Goolrick do instead of suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Goolrick means by a "persistence of song."
2. Explain what happens when Goolrick runs into the boys from school.
3. Explain the title of this chapter, "Such Charming Hands."
4. Explain Goolrick's graduation speech.
5. Describe the game Goolrick and his brother used to play as children, and the consequences.
6. Explain Mrs. Lackman's process for bathroom breaks, and why it doesn't work with the children.
7. Describe how mother came to own a mink coat.
8. Describe Goolrick's state of mind at this point in the novel.
9. Why did Goolrick write "The End of the World As We Know It"?
10. Explain who Sam Weller is, and what happens to him.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)