|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Goolrick to cry at the hospital?
(a) His therapists reassurances.
(b) His father's anger.
(c) His lover's denial.
(d) His mother's phone call.
2. What therapy does the other person endure in the hospital?
(a) Shock therapy.
(b) Social therapy.
(c) Water therapy.
(d) Medicational therapy.
3. What did Goolrick purchase for his parents for which they never thanked him?
(d) A house.
4. Why did Goolrick's mother and father die?
(a) They smoked too much.
(b) They were in a car accident.
(c) They suffered from colitis.
(d) They drank too much.
5. What does Goolrick suffer from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did brother's wife hate Goolrick?
2. What does Goolrick do the morning of the funeral?
3. To what is Goolrick addicted?
4. What does the other person's suicide attempt do for Goolrick?
5. What does Judy collect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Goolrick's state of mind at this point in the novel.
2. Explain what Goolrick means when he talks about the mystery of how most people carry on.
3. Describe the game Goolrick and his brother used to play as children, and the consequences.
4. Describe details about the mental hospital.
5. Explain the young man who joins the ward while Goolrick is there.
6. Describe Goolrick's relationship with his female lover.
7. Explain why Goolrick's parents were so angry with him for writing his first book.
8. Describe how mother came to own a mink coat.
9. Describe how Goolrick's friend attempted suicide.
10. Describe the environment Goolrick experienced as a child.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)