|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did each person have to do each morning in the hospital?
(a) Take a shower.
(b) Run a mile.
(c) Get dressed.
(d) Feed the birds.
2. What ruined mother's blue and green striped dress?
(a) A stain.
(c) A cigarette burn.
(d) A tear.
3. What primary emotion does Goolrick find himself feeling following his father's death?
4. What did mother make at the end of month when they were short on money?
(a) Welsh rarebit.
(b) Cabbage soup.
(c) Grilled cheese.
(d) Poached salmon.
5. At what age did Goolrick begin having suicidal thoughts?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Goolrick meet the male lover he discusses in "Summer of our Suicides"?
2. What did Goolrick's parents bring with them when they came down for brother's surgery?
3. What does the family pretend Mother is dying from, to avoid reality?
4. What disease does Goolrick's mother have?
5. Why is Goolrick a star in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Goolrick is somewhat of a star in the hospital.
2. Describe how mother came to own a mink coat.
3. Describe how brother comes out of the coma.
4. Explain the young man who joins the ward while Goolrick is there.
5. Describe mother's appearance.
6. Explain what Goolrick means when he talks about the mystery of how most people carry on.
7. Explain how the patients beat the addicts in volleyball.
8. Explain Goolrick's initial reaction to his friend's attempt, and his later reactions.
9. Describe Goolrick's parents as he describes them by the end of the chapter.
10. Describe Goolrick's relationship with his male lover.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)