|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Goolrick was hospitalized, what did his aunt think caused his breakdown?
(a) His breakup with his lover.
(b) His addiction.
(c) His mother's breast cancer.
(d) His car accident.
2. What does Mrs. Lackman do to the young man who accidentally wets himself?
(a) Forces him to strip in front of other children.
(b) Ridicules him.
(c) Allows him to go home.
(d) Changes him.
3. When does Goolrick first fall in love?
(a) He is thirteen.
(b) He is in college.
(c) He is an adult.
(d) He is a senior in high school.
4. What did the children eat with the newly made butter?
(b) Fresh bread.
5. What did Goolrick's brother claim to do in one day?
(a) Learn to add.
(b) Learn to subtract.
(c) Learn to read.
(d) Learn all the state capitals.
6. What does Goolrick begin to obsess about?
(a) His friends.
(b) His finances.
(c) His mental state.
(d) His health.
7. What did Goolrick's grandfather do to earn a medal?
(a) Fought in the war.
(b) Helped cure yellow fever.
(c) Died in the war.
(d) Saved a family from a burning building.
8. What was Goolrick the first May Day play?
(a) A hawk.
(b) An oriole.
(c) A bluebird.
(d) A robin.
9. What does Goolrick watch by the river that excites him?
(a) A woman being raped.
(b) Several people having sex with one another.
(c) A young man masturbating.
(d) A couple having sex.
10. What did the children do with the jars of cream?
(a) Shake them.
(b) Freeze them.
(c) Open them.
(d) Seal them.
11. What did Goolrick's father stop doing nearly entirely?
(a) Speaking to him.
(b) Having sex with his wife.
(c) Touching him.
(d) Telling him he loved him.
12. What can Goolrick smell in George's shirt?
(a) Wood smoke.
13. What happened to the cream?
(a) It would spoil.
(b) It would coagulate.
(c) It would melt.
(d) It would separate.
14. Whom does Goolrick meet on his way into town?
(a) Boys from school.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
15. What didn't Goolrick attend that most other children attended?
(b) Boarding school.
(c) Military school.
(d) Dance school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did brother once stick in Goolrick's forehead?
2. What happened to Grandmother's Canton plates?
3. What word do the Goolrick's use instead of fabrics?
4. Who are Sonny and Blanche?
5. What did Mrs. Lackman bring for the young man the following day?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)