|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the family give others Christmas presents?
(a) They made them.
(b) They stole them.
(c) They had the children donate old items they no longer wanted.
(d) They bought them.
2. What excuse did the Goolrick children use to convince their parents to buy them things?
(a) They said they wanted it.
(b) They said their friends had it.
(c) They threatened to run away.
(d) They said they needed it for school.
3. How long has Goolrick lived alone?
(a) Sixty years.
(b) Twenty five years.
(c) Five years.
4. What did Lackman bake for Butter Day?
5. What does Goolrick grow to despise?
(a) The taste of bourbon.
(b) The casual touch of strangers.
(c) The touch of loved ones.
(d) The smell of burning hair.
6. What does Goolrick think was the ultimate goal of Butter Day?
(a) For the store to sell cream.
(b) For Mrs. Lackman to receive free butter.
(c) For the children to have a day off.
(d) For the children to learn.
7. What did brother once stick in Goolrick's forehead?
(a) A nail.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A tack.
(d) A knife.
8. Why did the McClouds throw Goolrick out?
(a) He was gay.
(b) He did drugs.
(c) He was drunk.
(d) His family thought they were better than everyone.
9. When does Goolrick first fall in love?
(a) He is in college.
(b) He is a senior in high school.
(c) He is an adult.
(d) He is thirteen.
10. What did the children eat with the newly made butter?
(c) Fresh bread.
11. What does Goolrick suddenly hear as George is threatening him?
(a) The church bells.
(b) His brother.
(c) Girl scouts.
(d) His mother.
12. What didn't Goolrick attend that most other children attended?
(b) Boarding school.
(c) Military school.
(d) Dance school.
13. What did the students have to bring on Butter Day?
14. What does Goolrick admit about his childhood?
(a) He loved it.
(b) He remembers all of it.
(c) He remembers little of it.
(d) He despised it.
15. How does Goolrick get home that day?
(a) He calls his mother.
(b) He walks.
(c) He takes the bus.
(d) He rides his bike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Goolrick's parents never buy for him?
2. What does Mother do after Goolrick goes to college?
3. What costume did Goolrick and his brother love as children?
4. When Goolrick was hospitalized, what did his aunt think caused his breakdown?
5. What did the young man eventually become in life?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)