|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Goolrick was hospitalized, what did his aunt think caused his breakdown?
(a) His breakup with his lover.
(b) His car accident.
(c) His mother's breast cancer.
(d) His addiction.
2. For which holidays were pageants held?
(a) Washington's Birthday and May Day.
(b) Easter and Christmas.
(c) New Years and Valentine's Day.
(d) Easter and May Day.
3. What was Goolrick the first May Day play?
(a) A hawk.
(b) A bluebird.
(c) An oriole.
(d) A robin.
4. What are the Goolrick children not allowed to say, much less eat?
5. What did Elizabeth Taylor say about her eyes?
(a) They were lavender.
(b) They were just gray.
(c) They were black.
(d) They were just green.
6. Why did the McClouds throw Goolrick out?
(a) His family thought they were better than everyone.
(b) He was gay.
(c) He did drugs.
(d) He was drunk.
7. What did the children do with the jars of cream?
(a) Shake them.
(b) Open them.
(c) Seal them.
(d) Freeze them.
8. What does Goolrick suddenly hear as George is threatening him?
(a) Girl scouts.
(b) His brother.
(c) The church bells.
(d) His mother.
9. Why was town an exciting place?
(a) There were often fights.
(b) It was a big city.
(c) There were other people.
(d) There were lots of drug addicts.
10. What did Goolrick's brother claim to do in one day?
(a) Learn all the state capitals.
(b) Learn to read.
(c) Learn to add.
(d) Learn to subtract.
11. How many classes were taught at the school where Goolrick went to kindergarten?
12. What did Goolrick give a speech about at graduation?
(a) University life in the sixties.
(b) University life in the nineties.
(c) University life in the eighties.
(d) University life in the seventies.
13. What does George pull out from his pocket?
(b) A switchblade.
(d) A gun.
14. What feature of Father do many notice?
(a) His lips.
(b) His hands.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His body.
15. What did Goolrick do in both his grandmother's houses?
(a) Killed the cat.
(b) Peed on the carpet.
(c) Stole money from drawers.
(d) Set the curtains on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goolrick grow to despise?
2. What does Mother say is wrong with Goolrick when he complains of blood in his stools?
3. What did Lackman bake for Butter Day?
4. What does Goolrick watch by the river that excites him?
5. What excuse did the Goolrick children use to convince their parents to buy them things?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)