|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did brother want mother to say before he ate his dinner?
(a) "God commands you to eat."
(b) "Eat your lunch cowboy."
(c) "Chief say eat."
(d) "Howdy stranger."
2. What does Mrs. Lackman do to the young man who accidentally wets himself?
(a) Allows him to go home.
(b) Changes him.
(c) Forces him to strip in front of other children.
(d) Ridicules him.
3. How long has Goolrick lived alone?
(b) Sixty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty five years.
4. What killed Sally Page?
(b) Strep throat.
5. What is the final question of the chapter?
(a) "How did they go on?"
(b) "What did they go on?"
(c) "Why did I go on?"
(d) "How did I go on?"
6. For which holidays were pageants held?
(a) Easter and May Day.
(b) Easter and Christmas.
(c) Washington's Birthday and May Day.
(d) New Years and Valentine's Day.
7. What are the Goolrick children not allowed to say, much less eat?
8. What did the young man eventually become in life?
(a) A felon.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) A judge.
9. What can Goolrick smell in George's shirt?
(b) Wood smoke.
10. What did the children eat with the newly made butter?
(b) Fresh bread.
11. What did Goolrick's brother claim to do in one day?
(a) Learn to read.
(b) Learn all the state capitals.
(c) Learn to subtract.
(d) Learn to add.
12. What does Goolrick grow to despise?
(a) The taste of bourbon.
(b) The casual touch of strangers.
(c) The touch of loved ones.
(d) The smell of burning hair.
13. Who woke to see the molestation?
(a) Goolrick's father.
(b) Goolrick's mother.
(c) Goolrick's brother.
(d) Goolrick's grandmother.
14. What allowed the family to begin going to the beach for three weeks a year?
(a) A family inheritance.
(b) Father's retirement.
(c) Mother's new job.
(d) Father's new job.
15. What did Goolrick give a speech about at graduation?
(a) University life in the seventies.
(b) University life in the eighties.
(c) University life in the sixties.
(d) University life in the nineties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Goolrick begin to obsess about?
2. What does Mother do after Goolrick goes to college?
3. What did the students have to bring on Butter Day?
4. What did the family do with letters to Santa?
5. Whom does Goolrick wonder about, in terms of how she went on making herself breakfast, even after she knew what happened?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)