|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Briggs behave in front of Lady Caroline when he first meets her?
2. Who goes for a walk at the end of Chapter 15?
3. Who disturbs Lady Caroline's peace at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What do Rose and Mr. Briggs do at the end of Chapter 17?
5. What does Mellersh see when he encounters Mr. Briggs and Rose in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Briggs behave around Lady Caroline in Chapter 19? How do the others react to his behavior?
2. What embarrassing mishap happens to Mellersh in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Mrs. Wilkins kiss Mrs. Fisher in Chapter 18 and how does Mrs. Fisher react?
4. Why does Lady Caroline escape to the garden in Chapter 19?
5. What does Lady Caroline realize about herself in Chapter 16?
6. How do Mr. Briggs and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to one another when Mr.Briggs arrives at the villa?
7. Is Mrs. Arbuthnot happy to see her husband at dinner or not? Does she believe he has responded to her letter?
8. What does Lady Caroline think of Ferdinand?
9. How does Mellersh fit in with the women as illustrated in Chapter 15?
10. Why does Mr. Briggs insist on talking to Lady Caroline and how does he react when she finally appears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the marriage between Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins. How is it described at the beginning of the novel? Why does Mrs. Wilkins choose to invite Mr. Wilkins to the villa? How does their relationship change by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of freedom in the novel "The Enchanted April". Who desires freedom and what do they desire freedom from? Are they successful in obtaining said freedom? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the examples of imagery in the novel. What are some examples and do they have any symbolic meaning attached to them? What sort of images does von Arnim depict of nature? How does the imagery of Italy contrast with the imagery of London?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)