|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mellersh immediately ask for upon his arrival in Chapter 14?
2. What does Rose resemble as she descends the stairs in Chapter 17?
3. What has Rose been doing instead of paying attention to her surroundings in Chapter 18?
4. How does Mrs. Fisher's opinion of Mr. Briggs change when she senses his feelings for Lady Caroline in Chapter 19?
5. What question does Mr. Briggs ask Rose about the villa at the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Fisher react when she finds Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in her sitting area? Why does she react this way?
2. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot feel after sending a letter to her husband?
3. How do Mr. Briggs and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to one another when Mr.Briggs arrives at the villa?
4. What does Lady Caroline contemplate as Mrs. Fisher talks about her beauty in Chapter 10?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Arbuthnot wear a flower in her hair in Chapter 20?
6. What does Mrs. Fisher suggest to Lady Caroline to get well in Chapter 10?
7. Why does Lady Caroline escape to the garden in Chapter 19?
8. What do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins talk about on the way to the village in Chapter 11?
9. What bothers Mrs. Arbuthnot, Mrs. Fisher and Lady Caroline in Chapter 13?
10. How do the three other women feel when Mrs. Wilkins is absent for a day in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss von Arnim's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does von Arnim use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the four women? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the author of the novel? Describe her background and reputation as a writer. What are some of her other works? Has she had a lasting influence on the genre? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)