|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lady Caroline hide-out in Chapter 19?
2. What is Lady Caroline tired of in Chapter 10?
3. Why does Mellersh exit the bathroom wearing only a towel in Chapter 14?
4. What does Rose wait for after writing to her husband in Chapter 17?
5. According to Mrs. Fisher, what are women not made for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot feel after sending a letter to her husband?
2. How do the four women react when Mrs. Wilkins' husband arrives in Chapter 14?
3. How do the three other women feel when Mrs. Wilkins is absent for a day in Chapter 13?
4. What does Lady Caroline contemplate as Mrs. Fisher talks about her beauty in Chapter 10?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Arbuthnot wear a flower in her hair in Chapter 20?
6. How does Mrs. Wilkins' marriage change in Chapter 16?
7. What do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins talk about on the way to the village in Chapter 11?
8. How do Mr. Briggs and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to one another when Mr.Briggs arrives at the villa?
9. Why does Mrs. Wilkins kiss Mrs. Fisher in Chapter 18 and how does Mrs. Fisher react?
10. What does Lady Caroline realize about herself in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the marriage between Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins. How is it described at the beginning of the novel? Why does Mrs. Wilkins choose to invite Mr. Wilkins to the villa? How does their relationship change by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to the four women? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Mrs. Fisher. What is her role in the novel and what are her defining character traits? Does she get along with her housemates? Why or why not? How does her relationships with the other housemates change as the novel progresses? How does Mrs. Fisher learn to live for the present and future instead of the past?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)