|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Wilkins, what will Mrs. Fisher do before long in Chapter 11?
2. What conclusion does Lady Caroline come to in Chapter 13?
3. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot consider wearing in her hair in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot become concerned in Chapter 13?
5. According to Lady Caroline, what do Mr. Briggs and Ferdinand have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins talk about on the way to the village in Chapter 11?
2. How does Mellersh fit in with the women as illustrated in Chapter 15?
3. How does Mrs. Fisher react when she finds Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in her sitting area? Why does she react this way?
4. What embarrassing mishap happens to Mellersh in Chapter 14?
5. Why is Lady Caroline displeased with Mrs. Fisher at the beginning of Chapter 10?
6. Why does Mrs. Wilkins kiss Mrs. Fisher in Chapter 18 and how does Mrs. Fisher react?
7. What does Lady Caroline realize about herself in Chapter 16?
8. What do the women talk about at the dinner table in Chapter 12?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Arbuthnot wear a flower in her hair in Chapter 20?
10. How do Mr. Briggs and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to one another when Mr.Briggs arrives at the villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Mrs. Arbuthnot. What is her role in the novel and what are her defining character traits? Describe her friendship with Mrs. Wilkins. Describe her marriage. How does it transform and why?
Essay Topic 2
A theme of the novel "The Enchanted April" is beauty. How do the characters react to the beauty surrounding them in Italy? How does this beauty contrast with the London setting? How does Lady Caroline use her beauty in her life? What is she afraid of when it comes to her beauty? What do others think of her beauty?
Essay Topic 3
Putting up walls and boundaries and breaking through them is a recurring motif of the novel "The Enchanted April". What are some examples of when a character places boundaries between herself and the other women? Why does she do this? How do the other characters react to these walls?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)