|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot playfully remind Mrs. Wilkins of in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot put all of her time and energy into doing?
3. What does Lady Caroline want desperately for in Chapter 8?
4. What does Lady Caroline believe of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot when she first meets them?
5. How do the appearances of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot change as they look outside in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Fisher.
2. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
3. Describe Mrs. Fisher's lunch scene in Chapter 9.
4. How do the two women go about finding other guests for their villa retreat? Why do they want to find more women?
5. Why does Mrs. Fisher ask for references in Chapter 3? How do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to this?
6. According to Lady Caroline, what does her beauty allow her to be?
7. Describe Lady Caroline Denster.
8. What are Mrs. Arbuthnot's and Mrs. Wilkins' first impression of the villa in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Mrs. Wilkins fetch Mrs. Arbuthnot after dressing and unpacking in Chapter 6?
10. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 9 that annoys Mrs. Fisher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme of the novel "The Enchanted April" is nature. How does nature influence or impact the lives of the four women? How is nature described in the novel? How does it directly correlate with the personal transformations experienced by the four women?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the marriage between Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins. How is it described at the beginning of the novel? Why does Mrs. Wilkins choose to invite Mr. Wilkins to the villa? How does their relationship change by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How does the Italian setting contrast with the London setting? How does the Italian setting help to transform the four women?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)