|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Arbuthnot, why should she and Mrs.Wilkins be running things at the house?
2. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot ask guidance from God for in Chapter 2?
3. How does Mrs. Wilkins normally behave in public as of Chapter 1?
4. What does the narration note about Mrs. Wilkins marriage and life in Chapter 1?
5. How many replies do the women receive from their advertisement in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
2. What do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot think of Lady Caroline's beauty in Chapter 6?
3. How does the Italian scenery affect Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins?
4. Why does Mrs. Wilkins fetch Mrs. Arbuthnot after dressing and unpacking in Chapter 6?
5. How does Mrs. Wilkins react to the advertisement she sees in the newspaper in Chapter 1 and why does she react in this manner?
6. What sparks Mrs. Wilkins' and Mrs. Arbuthnots' debate about heaven?
7. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot spend most of her time as explained in Chapter 2?
8. What does Lady Caroline think of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot?
9. What are some defining characteristics attributed to Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
10. What disagreement do Mrs. Fisher and Mrs. Arbuthnot have in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Mrs. Arbuthnot. What is her role in the novel and what are her defining character traits? Describe her friendship with Mrs. Wilkins. Describe her marriage. How does it transform and why?
Essay Topic 2
A theme of the novel "The Enchanted April" is nature. How does nature influence or impact the lives of the four women? How is nature described in the novel? How does it directly correlate with the personal transformations experienced by the four women?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the examples of imagery in the novel. What are some examples and do they have any symbolic meaning attached to them? What sort of images does von Arnim depict of nature? How does the imagery of Italy contrast with the imagery of London?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)