|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot put all of her time and energy into doing?
2. According to Mrs. Arbuthnot, why should she and Mrs.Wilkins be running things at the house?
3. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mrs. Fisher feel has to be done about Mrs. Wilkins?
4. Who is the author of "The Enchanted April"?
5. For what did Mrs. Arbuthnot marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
2. What is shared in Chapter 2 in regards to Mrs. Arbuthnot's marriage?
3. Why is Lady Caroline already in Italy in Chapter 6?
4. Why does Mrs. Fisher ask for references in Chapter 3? How do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to this?
5. Who is the owner of the Italian villa and what does the leasing process entail?
6. What are some defining characteristics attributed to Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
7. Who do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins become increasingly uneasy about the trip in Chapter 4?
8. Describe Mrs. Fisher.
9. What does Lady Caroline think of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot?
10. Describe Lady Caroline Denster.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How does the Italian setting contrast with the London setting? How does the Italian setting help to transform the four women?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze von Arnim's use of irony. What are some examples of irony in the novel? How do these examples affect the reader's experience when reading the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss von Arnim's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why does von Arnim use foreshadowing?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)