|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Fisher feel about the chatty and enthusiastic Mrs. Wilkins when she first meets her?
2. What happened to Mrs. Arbuthnot's child?
3. Who has set herself up as hostess in Chapter 7?
4. What is the weather like at the beginning of the novel?
5. Why does Mrs. Wilkins gasp when she looks out her window in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Fisher.
2. Why does Mrs. Wilkins fetch Mrs. Arbuthnot after dressing and unpacking in Chapter 6?
3. Who do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins become increasingly uneasy about the trip in Chapter 4?
4. What does Lady Caroline think of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot?
5. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
6. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot come to the conclusion that both she and Mrs. Wilkins are miserable in Chapter 1?
7. Do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins find the process of leasing the villa easy? Why or why not?
8. What are Mrs. Arbuthnot's and Mrs. Wilkins' first impression of the villa in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe that she and Mrs. Wilkins should be running things at San Salvatore?
10. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 9 that annoys Mrs. Fisher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "The Enchanted April". Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the examples of imagery in the novel. What are some examples and do they have any symbolic meaning attached to them? What sort of images does von Arnim depict of nature? How does the imagery of Italy contrast with the imagery of London?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the marriage between Mr. and Mrs. Arbuthnot. What troubles do they experience in their marriage at the beginning of the novel? How are these problems illustrated? Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot decide to invite Mr. Arbuthnot to the villa? How does the change of scenery help their marriage?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)