|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot become concerned in Chapter 13?
(a) Because she has not heard from her husband.
(b) Because she believes Mrs. Wilkins is depressed.
(c) Because she is enjoying Italy far more than she enjoys her marriage.
(d) Because she is unable to pray or feel concern for the poor.
2. According to Mrs. Wilkins, what will Mrs. Fisher do before long in Chapter 11?
(a) Smile at their sincerity.
(b) Snap at them or leave the villa.
(c) Reach an impass.
(d) Invite the other women into her living area.
3. What does Lady Caroline find strange in Chapter 10?
(a) That she is enjoying the ladies' company.
(b) That she is far more relaxed than she normally is in such situations.
(c) That the other ladies are so open and friendly with one another.
(d) That none of the other ladies knows who she is.
4. Who informed Ferdinand of Lady Caroline's whereabouts?
(a) Lady Caroline's sister.
(b) Lady Caroline's mother.
(c) Lady Caroline's housemaid.
(d) Lady Caroline's father.
5. What does Mellersh always keep in mind in regards to the other women staying at the villa?
(a) Their physical appearance.
(b) Their comfort.
(c) Their social status.
(d) Their value as potential clients.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Caroline blame Mr. Briggs for in Chapter 19?
2. Who is Ferdinand Arundel?
3. What does Rose hope for in Chapter 17?
4. What does Lady Caroline note about Mr. Briggs behavior towards her when they first meet?
5. What reason does Lady Caroline give to Mrs. Fisher for why she wants to be left alone in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot feel after sending a letter to her husband?
2. What do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins talk about on the way to the village in Chapter 11?
3. Why does Mr. Briggs insist on talking to Lady Caroline and how does he react when she finally appears?
4. What does Lady Caroline realize about herself in Chapter 16?
5. How does Mrs. Fisher react when she finds Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in her sitting area? Why does she react this way?
6. What embarrassing mishap happens to Mellersh in Chapter 14?
7. What does Lady Caroline think of Ferdinand?
8. Why doesn't Mrs. Arbuthnot wear a flower in her hair in Chapter 20?
9. What does Lady Caroline contemplate as Mrs. Fisher talks about her beauty in Chapter 10?
10. How do the three other women feel when Mrs. Wilkins is absent for a day in Chapter 13?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)