|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Briggs behave in front of Lady Caroline when he first meets her?
(a) Uncaring and curt.
(b) Overly attentive and appreciative.
(c) Physically awkward and silent.
(d) Rather agressive.
2. What do Rose and Mr. Briggs do at the end of Chapter 17?
(a) Sit in front of the fire.
(b) Eat dinner.
(c) Take a walk.
(d) Share a kiss.
3. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she finds Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins in her sitting room area in Chapter 10?
(b) Surprised and dismayed.
(c) Happy to be growing closer to them.
(d) Nervous and a little concerned.
4. Where does Mrs. Wilkins invite Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 11?
(a) On a walk to the village.
(b) To the library to show her her favorite novels.
(c) To the balcony to share a secret.
(d) For some tea in a cafe.
5. According to Lady Caroline, what do Mr. Briggs and Ferdinand have in common?
(a) They are both powerless to the effects of beauty.
(b) They are both attractive but unsuitable.
(c) They are both "beneath her" but do not realize it.
(d) They are both the type of man she identifies as "a grabber".
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Caroline find strange in Chapter 10?
2. Where does Mrs. Arbuthnot go to wait for dinner in Chapter 20?
3. Why does Rose regret writing to her husband in Chapter 17?
4. How does Mrs. Fisher react to Mrs. Wilkins' kiss in Chapter 18?
5. What change in Mrs. Wilkins does Mrs. Arbuthnot notice in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lady Caroline displeased with Mrs. Fisher at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. Why does Lady Caroline escape to the garden in Chapter 19?
3. What does Lady Caroline think of Ferdinand?
4. How does Mellersh fit in with the women as illustrated in Chapter 15?
5. How do Mr. Briggs and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to one another when Mr.Briggs arrives at the villa?
6. How does Mrs. Wilkins' marriage change in Chapter 16?
7. How do the three other women feel when Mrs. Wilkins is absent for a day in Chapter 13?
8. How do the four women react when Mrs. Wilkins' husband arrives in Chapter 14?
9. What do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins talk about on the way to the village in Chapter 11?
10. What does Mrs. Fisher suggest to Lady Caroline to get well in Chapter 10?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)