|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mrs. Wilkins awakes in Chapter 6, which of the following does she not take pleasure in?
(a) The prettiness of her room.
(b) Being alone in bed.
(c) The thought of being away from her husband for an entire month.
(d) The smell of the linens.
2. What does Lady Caroline's grace, beauty and nature allow her to be?
(a) Snobbish without offending anyone.
(b) As silly as she wants.
(c) Standoffish and still charming.
(d) Quite ditzy without ever being considered stupid.
3. Who does Lady Caroline watch from her terrace in Chapter 8?
(a) The gardener.
(b) Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot.
(c) A group of young students walking down the sideroad.
(d) Mrs. Fisher.
4. What reminds Mrs. Fisher of her husband in Chapter 9?
(a) A red and orange bouquet in the foyer.
(b) Mrs. Arbuthnot's weak laugh.
(c) A song that Lady Caroline hums in the garden.
(d) The pasta course at lunch.
5. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mrs. Fisher feel has to be done about Mrs. Wilkins?
(a) She has to be curbed.
(b) She has to be institutionalized.
(c) She has to be celebrated.
(d) She has to be thanked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Wilkins at the beginning of the novel?
2. Which of the following does Lady Caroline NOT think of at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What does Mrs. Wilkins suggest she and Mrs. Arbuthnot do in Chapter 1?
4. According to Mrs. Wilkins at the train station, what does her husband have no right to do?
5. What catches Mrs. Wilkins eye in the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot spend most of her time as explained in Chapter 2?
2. Why is Lady Caroline already in Italy in Chapter 6?
3. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
4. What do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot think of Lady Caroline's beauty in Chapter 6?
5. Describe Mrs. Fisher.
6. What do Costanza and Domenico want from Lady Caroline in Chapter 8?
7. Do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins find the process of leasing the villa easy? Why or why not?
8. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot come to the conclusion that both she and Mrs. Wilkins are miserable in Chapter 1?
9. What are Mrs. Arbuthnot's and Mrs. Wilkins' first impression of the villa in Chapter 5?
10. What are some defining characteristics attributed to Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)