|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Caroline want desperately for in Chapter 8?
(a) A passionate romance.
(b) A purpose in life.
(c) A best friend who is like a sister.
(d) To be left alone.
2. Why does Lady Caroline decide to act cool, distant and commanding during her stay at the house?
(a) To avoid the other women.
(b) To manipulate the women into getting what she wants.
(c) To try and keep her real identity a secret.
(d) To appear impressive.
3. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 1 that surprises her?
(a) She approaches Mrs. Arbuthnot.
(b) She asks a stranger for directions.
(c) She laughs heartily.
(d) She yells at a car driving past.
4. What catches Mrs. Wilkins eye in the newspaper?
(a) An editorial.
(b) A photograph.
(c) An advertisement.
(d) A headline.
5. Who interrupts Lady Caroline after Costanza does in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot make plans to arrive at the villa before the others?
2. What about Mrs. Wilkins is Mrs. Arbuthnot taken aback by in Chapter 1?
3. Why is Lady Caroline Denster interested in the holiday?
4. Who are Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot surprised to see from their window in Chapter 6?
5. What does Mrs. Wilkins do before going to fetch Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Fisher ask for references in Chapter 3? How do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to this?
2. How does the Italian scenery affect Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins?
3. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe that she and Mrs. Wilkins should be running things at San Salvatore?
4. What does Mrs. Wilkins admire and appreciate when she awakes in Chapter 6?
5. Describe Mrs. Fisher's lunch scene in Chapter 9.
6. What sparks Mrs. Wilkins' and Mrs. Arbuthnots' debate about heaven?
7. Who do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins become increasingly uneasy about the trip in Chapter 4?
8. Why is Lady Caroline already in Italy in Chapter 6?
9. According to Lady Caroline, what does her beauty allow her to be?
10. Why does Mrs. Wilkins approach Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)