|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Mrs. Arbuthnot's child?
(a) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child died.
(b) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child is away at school and rarely visits.
(c) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child was kidnapped.
(d) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child was sent to live with relatives.
2. What about Mrs. Wilkins is Mrs. Arbuthnot taken aback by in Chapter 1?
(a) Her deep voice.
(b) Her enthusiasm.
(c) Her spiritual beliefs.
(d) The sadness in her eyes.
3. What does the narration note about Mrs. Wilkins marriage and life in Chapter 1?
(a) It is the result of careful planning in her youth.
(b) It has improved in recent years.
(c) It is dull and routine.
(d) It is more interesting than she thinks.
4. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot put all of her time and energy into doing?
(a) Helping the poor in the name of God.
(b) Making her husband happy.
(c) Her social life.
(d) Learning new things.
5. How does Mrs. Wilkins normally behave in public as of Chapter 1?
(c) Overly cheery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher feel they had the right to when they arrived at the house?
2. What does Mrs. Wilkins notice Mrs. Arbuthnot doing in Chapter 1?
3. Why do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot make plans to arrive at the villa before the others?
4. Why does Mrs. Fisher become annoyed with Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 9?
5. According to Mrs. Arbuthnot, why should she and Mrs.Wilkins be running things at the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe that she and Mrs. Wilkins should be running things at San Salvatore?
2. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe about her own happiness?
3. How do the two women go about finding other guests for their villa retreat? Why do they want to find more women?
4. Who is the owner of the Italian villa and what does the leasing process entail?
5. What are some defining characteristics attributed to Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
6. According to Lady Caroline, what does her beauty allow her to be?
7. Why is Lady Caroline already in Italy in Chapter 6?
8. Do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins find the process of leasing the villa easy? Why or why not?
9. What disagreement do Mrs. Fisher and Mrs. Arbuthnot have in Chapter 7?
10. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 9 that annoys Mrs. Fisher?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)