|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Fisher tell Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot to do during the lunch course in Chapter 9?
(a) Tell her about their pasts.
(b) To eat with their mouths closed.
(c) To pass her the pasta, parmesan and bread.
(d) To go and talk to Lady Caroline.
2. How do the appearances of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot change as they look outside in Chapter 6?
(a) They look more relaxed, prettier and younger.
(b) They look a little sad and guilty.
(c) They look bigger and brighter.
(d) They look more energized.
3. How did Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher come to arrive at the house at the same time?
(a) They tried to arrive before the other but ended up arriving at the same time.
(b) They decided to travel together so they could play cards on the train.
(c) They were previously acquainted and felt it proper to travel together.
(d) They both came to Italy early to get the nicest rooms.
4. Why is Lady Caroline Denster interested in the holiday?
(a) To visit the same villa she did as a child.
(b) To get away from all the people and circumstances in her life.
(c) To meet her lover in Italy.
(d) To experience Italy in the spring.
5. According to Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 7, what is the only thing that Mrs. Fisher has to worry about?
(a) Her health.
(b) Dying alone.
(c) Being happy.
(d) Making friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot ease her guilt over the source of her husband's income?
2. Which of the following does Lady Caroline NOT think of at the end of Chapter 8?
3. Why does Lady Caroline decide to act cool, distant and commanding during her stay at the house?
4. What can Mrs. Wilkins see from her bedroom window?
5. What is the weather like when the women arrive in Italy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Costanza and Domenico want from Lady Caroline in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Mrs. Wilkins approach Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 1?
3. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 9 that annoys Mrs. Fisher?
4. What sparks Mrs. Wilkins' and Mrs. Arbuthnots' debate about heaven?
5. Do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins find the process of leasing the villa easy? Why or why not?
6. What does Lady Caroline reflect on as she watches Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 8?
7. Describe Lady Caroline Denster.
8. Who do Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins become increasingly uneasy about the trip in Chapter 4?
9. According to Lady Caroline, what does her beauty allow her to be?
10. Why does Mrs. Fisher ask for references in Chapter 3? How do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot react to this?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)