|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Caroline note about Mr. Briggs behavior towards her when they first meet?
(a) She thinks he is making a fool of himself.
(b) It is rather cute.
(c) It is exactly the kind of attention she came to the villa to avoid.
(d) She is disgusted with his overt affections towards her.
2. What is Lady Caroline's nickname?
3. What does Mellersh always keep in mind in regards to the other women staying at the villa?
(a) Their social status.
(b) Their value as potential clients.
(c) Their comfort.
(d) Their physical appearance.
4. Where does Lady Caroline leave Ferdinand to wait for her return in Chapter 20?
(a) The drawing room.
(b) The front foyer.
(c) The garden.
(d) The library.
5. Why doesn't Lady Caroline want Mr. Wilkins to come stay at the villa?
(a) Because she has heard that he is a crude and insufferable man.
(b) Because she fears Mrs. Wilkins' behavior will change if he comes.
(c) Because the villa is already too crowded.
(d) Because she fears he will want her like all other men seem to.
6. What does Rose wait for after writing to her husband in Chapter 17?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A letter.
(c) A knock at the front door.
(d) A sign.
7. What does Mellersh see when he encounters Mr. Briggs and Rose in Chapter 18?
(a) Potential trouble arising.
(b) A budding romance.
(c) An awkward conversation between two opposites.
(d) A friendly and innocent greeting.
8. Who is Ferdinand Arundel?
(a) A businessman who is in business with Lady Caroline's father.
(b) A writer of amusing memoirs.
(c) A philospher and poet.
(d) A social climber from New York.
9. Who is Lotty?
(a) Mrs. Wilkins.
(b) Lady Caroline.
(c) Mrs. Arbuthnot.
(d) Mrs. Fisher.
10. What has Rose been doing instead of paying attention to her surroundings in Chapter 18?
(a) Thinking about Frederick.
(b) Watching Lady Caroline talking to a gentleman in the garden.
(d) Crying like a baby.
11. Where does Mrs. Wilkins invite Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 11?
(a) To the library to show her her favorite novels.
(b) To the balcony to share a secret.
(c) For some tea in a cafe.
(d) On a walk to the village.
12. What conclusion does Lady Caroline come to in Chapter 13?
(a) That the other women are unruly and tiresome.
(b) That her life is flashy, shoddy and empty.
(c) That she made the wrong choice coming to Italy.
(d) That her life back home is lacking nothing.
13. What does Mr. Briggs feel the need to confirm with Lady Caroline at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Whether she is having a good time at the villa.
(b) Whether she has everything she needs during her stay.
(c) Whether it would be alright for him to spend the night at the villa.
(d) Whether she is involved with anyone romantically.
14. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot long to share with her husband in Chapter 11?
(a) The Italian way of life.
(b) Her hopes and fears.
(c) The beauty of the villa.
(d) Her newfound friendships.
15. How does Mrs. Fisher's opinion of Mr. Briggs change when she senses his feelings for Lady Caroline in Chapter 19?
(a) She feels embarrassed for him.
(b) She appreciates him more.
(c) She thinks less of him.
(d) She is more intrigued by him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mellersh run into when he runs out of the bathroom soaking wet in Chapter 14?
2. According to Mrs. Fisher's observations in Chapter 15, what has there been a lack of restraint with at the villa?
3. What does Costanza present Mrs. Fisher with in Chapter 15?
4. According to Mrs. Wilkins, what will Mrs. Fisher do before long in Chapter 11?
5. Why does Lady Caroline sneak out of the villa in Chapter 19?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)