|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Fisher disappointed by the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Because she finds yet another gray hair on her head.
(b) Because the lunch menu is dull and uninspired.
(c) Because she has no one to invite to the villa.
(d) Because another husband is to be invited to the villa.
2. What does Lady Caroline note about Mr. Briggs behavior towards her when they first meet?
(a) It is exactly the kind of attention she came to the villa to avoid.
(b) It is rather cute.
(c) She thinks he is making a fool of himself.
(d) She is disgusted with his overt affections towards her.
3. Why does Mrs. Wilkins kiss Mrs. Fisher in Chapter 18?
(a) She is thankful to Mrs. Fisher for making everyone feel comfortable.
(b) She is trying to make the depressed Mrs. Fisher feel better.
(c) She is so happy to see Mrs. Fisher happy.
(d) She is simply greeting Mrs. Fisher.
4. How does Mrs. Fisher find a particularly hidden area of the garden in Chapter 10?
(a) By following the scent of cigarettes.
(b) By following the sound of crying.
(c) By following a faint flashing light.
(d) By following the sound of two people arguing.
5. What does Lady Caroline blame Mr. Briggs for in Chapter 19?
(a) Ruining both her evening and her vacation.
(b) Upsetting the other ladies.
(c) Being a superficial playboy.
(d) Following her to the villa.
6. Who does Mrs. Wilkins post a letter to in Chapter 11?
(a) Her sister, Amelia.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Mrs. Arbuthnot's husband.
(d) The church fundraiser.
7. What is Lady Caroline tired of in Chapter 10?
(a) The vacation in Italy.
(b) The attention her beauty attracts.
(c) The concern of strangers.
(d) Knowing that she is growing older everyday.
8. How does Mrs. Fisher react to Mrs. Wilkins' kiss in Chapter 18?
(a) She is indifferent.
(b) She is confused and embarassed.
(c) She is happy and surprised.
(d) She is angry and regretful.
9. What does Mellersh immediately ask for upon his arrival in Chapter 14?
(a) A hot bath.
(b) A bed to have a nap in.
(c) Some tea.
(d) A chair to sit in.
10. What change in Mrs. Wilkins does Mrs. Arbuthnot notice in Chapter 11?
(a) Mrs. Wilkins is becoming more mellow and careless.
(b) Mrs. Wilkins is becoming more irate and selfish.
(c) Mrs. Wilkins is becoming more cherry and irrational.
(d) Mrs. Wilkins is becoming more clear, selfless and thoughtful.
11. What does Costanza present Mrs. Fisher with in Chapter 15?
(a) A pile of dirty laundry.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) The food bill.
(d) A receipt for her most recent trip to the village.
12. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she finds Mrs. Arbuthnot and Mrs. Wilkins in her sitting room area in Chapter 10?
(b) Surprised and dismayed.
(c) Nervous and a little concerned.
(d) Happy to be growing closer to them.
13. What does Mr. Briggs feel the need to confirm with Lady Caroline at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) Whether it would be alright for him to spend the night at the villa.
(b) Whether she is involved with anyone romantically.
(c) Whether she has everything she needs during her stay.
(d) Whether she is having a good time at the villa.
14. What question does Mr. Briggs ask Rose about the villa at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) Whether it is drafty.
(b) What the other women think of it.
(c) What her favorite parts of the house are.
(d) How it compares to her home in England.
15. Why are Mrs. Arbuthnot, Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher disappointed in Chapter 13?
(a) Because Mrs. Wilkins does not bring anything back with her from town.
(b) Because Mrs. WIlkins returns quite quickly.
(c) Because Mrs. Wilkins decides to make dinner.
(d) Because Mrs. Wilkins does not return until dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Lady Caroline glad about Ferdinand's presence in Chapter 19?
2. How do Mrs. Fisher and Lady Caroline feel about Mr. Wilkins in Chapter 15?
3. Who is Ferdinand Arundel?
4. What does Rose hope for in Chapter 17?
5. Where does Lady Caroline hide-out in Chapter 19?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)