|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mrs. Wilkins at the beginning of the novel?
(a) At a women's club.
(b) At the supermarket.
(c) At the library.
(d) At the park.
2. Why does Mrs. Wilkins gasp when she looks out her window in Chapter 6?
(a) She sees her husband approaching the front door.
(b) There is a violent storm outside.
(c) She sees a naked man doing yoga.
(d) She is astonished by the beauty outside her window.
3. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she sees she is the only one at the lunch table in Chapter 9?
(a) Happy to have some peace.
(c) Relieved and angry.
4. According to Mrs. Arbuthnot, why should she and Mrs.Wilkins be running things at the house?
(a) Because they are older.
(b) Because they found San Salvatore.
(c) Because they are familiar with running a household.
(d) Because they are the most personable of the bunch.
5. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot feel she will have to do with Mrs. Wilkins at the villa in Chapter 3?
(a) She will have to keep her busy.
(b) She will have to help Mrs. Wilkins restrain her enthusiasm.
(c) She will have to allow her her distance.
(d) She will have to learn more about her.
6. What do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot advertise in The Times?
(a) A private driver who can drive them to the villa.
(b) A spare room at their homes in England.
(c) A cook to accompany them to the villa.
(d) For other women to join them at the villa.
7. Who meets the women in the courtyard of the castle in Chapter 5?
8. What did Mrs. Fisher and Lady Caroline have taken out of their rooms upon their arrival at the house?
(a) The drapery.
(b) The chamber pots.
(d) Old clothes.
9. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot fail at in Chapter 7?
(a) Remembering to tell Mrs. Wilkins a funny anecdote.
(b) Staying awake late enough.
(c) Remaining patient.
(d) Asserting control over Mrs. Fisher.
10. Who are Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot surprised to see from their window in Chapter 6?
(b) Lady Caroline.
(c) Mrs. Fisher.
(d) A gardener.
11. What did Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher feel they had the right to when they arrived at the house?
(a) To choose the menu.
(b) The use of the restrooms first.
(c) The best rooms.
(d) The first pick of reading materials.
12. What does Mrs. Fisher reminisce about when interviewed by Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot?
(a) Her past visits to Italy.
(b) Her school days.
(c) A home filled with artists.
(d) Her marriage.
13. What can Mrs. Wilkins see from her bedroom window?
(a) A sprawling golf course.
(b) The nearby town waking up.
(c) A statue of the Virgin Mary.
(d) The ocean, mountains and the gardens.
14. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot playfully remind Mrs. Wilkins of in Chapter 6?
(a) That beauty is temporary.
(b) That money can't buy happiness.
(c) That home is where the heart is.
(d) That age is but a number.
15. Who is the author of "The Enchanted April"?
(a) Barbara Pym.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) Fanny Fern.
(d) Elizabeth von Arnim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arbuthnot's husband make a living?
2. Who interrupts Lady Caroline after Costanza does in Chapter 8?
3. What surprises Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot when they enter the dining room in Chapter 7?
4. How does Mrs. Wilkins convince her husband that she is already going to Italy in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot imagine will happen when she and her husband are old?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)