|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Fisher refer to frequently while speaking to Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 7?
(a) What she plans on eating for dinner.
(b) Her favorite shops in the area.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her memories of famous writers.
2. What had "faded to the dimness of a dream" by the time the women arrived in Italy in Chapter 4?
(a) Their aggression and angst from before.
(b) Their husband's faces.
(c) Their worries and guilt.
(d) Their lives back in England.
3. How many replies do the women receive from their advertisement in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Mrs. Fisher become annoyed with Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Wilkins repeatedly asks Mrs. Fisher questions about her personal life.
(b) Mrs. Wilkins claims she "saw inside" Lady Caroline and knows what she wants.
(c) Mrs. Wilkins refuses to keep quiet for longer than a brief moment.
(d) Mrs. Wilkins takes the credit for "breathing life" into the trip.
5. For what did Mrs. Arbuthnot marry?
6. According to Mrs. Wilkins at the train station, what does her husband have no right to do?
(a) Forgive her.
(b) Follow her to Italy.
(c) See her off.
(d) Make her feel guilty.
7. Who interrupts Lady Caroline after Costanza does in Chapter 8?
8. What does Lady Caroline believe of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot when she first meets them?
(a) They are sweet and innocent.
(b) They will teach her many things.
(c) They will soon become tiresome.
(d) They are far too drab to interest her.
9. Why does Mrs. Wilkins gasp when she looks out her window in Chapter 6?
(a) She sees her husband approaching the front door.
(b) She is astonished by the beauty outside her window.
(c) She sees a naked man doing yoga.
(d) There is a violent storm outside.
10. How did Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher come to arrive at the house at the same time?
(a) They both came to Italy early to get the nicest rooms.
(b) They were previously acquainted and felt it proper to travel together.
(c) They tried to arrive before the other but ended up arriving at the same time.
(d) They decided to travel together so they could play cards on the train.
11. What does Mrs. Fisher first ask Mrs. Wilkins to provide in Chapter 3?
(a) The number of the landlord.
(b) The itinerary.
(c) A photograph of the villa.
12. How does Lady Caroline conclude her conversation with the other ladies at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) By retiring to her room.
(b) By turning her back on them and looking at the view.
(c) By folding her arms and glaring at the women.
(d) By waving the other women away.
13. Who has set herself up as hostess in Chapter 7?
(a) Mrs. Arbuthnot.
(b) Lady Caroline.
(c) Mrs. Wilkins.
(d) Mrs. Fisher.
14. What does Mrs. Wilkins do before going to fetch Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 6?
(a) She writes in her diary.
(b) She writes a letter to her husband.
(c) She paints her fingernails.
(d) She dresses and unpacks.
15. What does Mrs. Wilkins do in Chapter 1 that surprises her?
(a) She approaches Mrs. Arbuthnot.
(b) She laughs heartily.
(c) She yells at a car driving past.
(d) She asks a stranger for directions.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mrs. Fisher feel has to be done about Mrs. Wilkins?
2. What is Hampstead?
3. According to Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 7, what is the only thing that Mrs. Fisher has to worry about?
4. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she sees she is the only one at the lunch table in Chapter 9?
5. What about Mrs. Wilkins is Mrs. Arbuthnot taken aback by in Chapter 1?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)