|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reminds Mrs. Fisher of her husband in Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Arbuthnot's weak laugh.
(b) A red and orange bouquet in the foyer.
(c) A song that Lady Caroline hums in the garden.
(d) The pasta course at lunch.
2. What surprises Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot when they enter the dining room in Chapter 7?
(a) Their breakfast has not been served.
(b) Mrs. Fisher is already there.
(c) The room is without a table.
(d) There is a feast awaiting them.
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of the novel?
(b) Warm and sunny.
(d) Cold and rainy.
4. What happened to Mrs. Arbuthnot's child?
(a) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child was sent to live with relatives.
(b) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child was kidnapped.
(c) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child is away at school and rarely visits.
(d) Mrs. Arbuthnot's child died.
5. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe her husband is too busy doing to notice her gone?
(b) Attending to his books.
(c) Having affairs.
(d) Reading his naughty books.
6. What does Lady Caroline's grace, beauty and nature allow her to be?
(a) As silly as she wants.
(b) Standoffish and still charming.
(c) Quite ditzy without ever being considered stupid.
(d) Snobbish without offending anyone.
7. Who meets the women in the courtyard of the castle in Chapter 5?
8. What is Lady Caroline surprised by in Chapter 9?
(a) Mrs. Arbuthnot's closemindedness.
(b) Mrs. Wilkins' sensitivity.
(c) Her own foresight.
(d) Mrs. Fisher's lack of common sense.
9. What is Hampstead?
(a) A village in Somerset.
(b) A parish near Mrs. Arbuthnot's hometown.
(c) A London suburb.
(d) A community near Oxford.
10. How does Mrs. Fisher react the Mrs. Wilkins' enthusiasm in Chapter 7?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With happiness.
(c) With enthusiasm.
(d) With impatience.
11. Why does Mrs. Wilkins gasp when she looks out her window in Chapter 6?
(a) She sees her husband approaching the front door.
(b) She sees a naked man doing yoga.
(c) She is astonished by the beauty outside her window.
(d) There is a violent storm outside.
12. What catches Mrs. Wilkins eye in the newspaper?
(a) An editorial.
(b) A headline.
(c) An advertisement.
(d) A photograph.
13. What does Mrs. Fisher contemplate at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) How she feels even older on the inside.
(b) How the years have past like a whisper.
(c) How the past has more value than the present.
(d) How all her friends have died or abandoned her.
14. What do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot briefly argue about in Chapter 8?
(a) Whether Mrs. Fisher had the right to behave as hostess.
(b) Whether Mrs. Arbuthnot's marriage is a happy one.
(c) Whether Italy has fresher air than England.
(d) Whether chocolate tastes better in another country or not.
15. What is Mrs. Arbuthnot going to Hampstead for in Chapter 2?
(a) To visit her niece.
(b) To deliver a lecture.
(c) To shop for a particular perfume.
(d) To go to the museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot fail at in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Lady Caroline decide to act cool, distant and commanding during her stay at the house?
3. What did Lady Caroline and Mrs. Fisher feel they had the right to when they arrived at the house?
4. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot feel she will have to do with Mrs. Wilkins at the villa in Chapter 3?
5. Who interrupts Lady Caroline after Costanza does in Chapter 8?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)