|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot believe her husband is too busy doing to notice her gone?
(a) Reading his naughty books.
(c) Attending to his books.
(d) Having affairs.
2. How do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot forget about their argument in Chapter 8?
(a) They fall in a pond.
(b) They come across a vista of exceptional beauty.
(c) They are interrupted by Mrs. Fisher.
(d) They are summoned to dinner.
3. What did Mrs. Fisher and Lady Caroline have taken out of their rooms upon their arrival at the house?
(a) Old clothes.
(c) The chamber pots.
(d) The drapery.
4. What does Mrs. Fisher tell Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot to do during the lunch course in Chapter 9?
(a) To eat with their mouths closed.
(b) To go and talk to Lady Caroline.
(c) Tell her about their pasts.
(d) To pass her the pasta, parmesan and bread.
5. How does Lady Caroline conclude her conversation with the other ladies at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) By folding her arms and glaring at the women.
(b) By retiring to her room.
(c) By waving the other women away.
(d) By turning her back on them and looking at the view.
6. According to Mrs. Arbuthnot, why should she and Mrs.Wilkins be running things at the house?
(a) Because they are familiar with running a household.
(b) Because they are older.
(c) Because they are the most personable of the bunch.
(d) Because they found San Salvatore.
7. What does Lady Caroline tell Costanza in Chapter 8?
(a) To come to her for direction.
(b) To get orders from one of the other ladies instead.
(c) To conduct his work when she is not around.
(d) To only answer with "yes" or "no" unless absolutely necessary.
8. What excites Mrs. Wilkins about what she sees in the newspaper in Chapter 1?
(a) The innovations in cleaning appliances.
(b) The idea of owning a new puppy.
(c) The chance to meet some new friends.
(d) The possibility of a holiday in Italy.
9. What had "faded to the dimness of a dream" by the time the women arrived in Italy in Chapter 4?
(a) Their lives back in England.
(b) Their husband's faces.
(c) Their worries and guilt.
(d) Their aggression and angst from before.
10. Why does Mrs. Wilkins gasp when she looks out her window in Chapter 6?
(a) She is astonished by the beauty outside her window.
(b) There is a violent storm outside.
(c) She sees her husband approaching the front door.
(d) She sees a naked man doing yoga.
11. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mrs. Fisher feel has to be done about Mrs. Wilkins?
(a) She has to be curbed.
(b) She has to be institutionalized.
(c) She has to be celebrated.
(d) She has to be thanked.
12. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she sees she is the only one at the lunch table in Chapter 9?
(b) Happy to have some peace.
(d) Relieved and angry.
13. According to Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 7, what is the only thing that Mrs. Fisher has to worry about?
(a) Dying alone.
(b) Making friends.
(c) Her health.
(d) Being happy.
14. What does Mrs. Fisher contemplate at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) How the years have past like a whisper.
(b) How all her friends have died or abandoned her.
(c) How she feels even older on the inside.
(d) How the past has more value than the present.
15. What newspaper is Mrs. Wilkins reading in Chapter 1?
(a) The Standard.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Local.
(d) The News.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Caroline call the pair of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 6?
2. What does Mrs. Arbuthnot imagine will happen when she and her husband are old?
3. Who does Lady Caroline watch from her terrace in Chapter 8?
4. What does Mrs. Wilkins notice Mrs. Arbuthnot doing in Chapter 1?
5. Why does Mrs. Fisher hurry to the lunch table in Chapter 9?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)