|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Costanza?
(a) The butler.
(b) The chaffeur.
(c) The gardener.
(d) The house cook.
2. According to Mrs. Wilkins in Chapter 7, what is the only thing that Mrs. Fisher has to worry about?
(a) Being happy.
(b) Dying alone.
(c) Her health.
(d) Making friends.
3. Who is Briggs?
(a) The owner of the Italian villa.
(b) Mrs. Arbuthnot's uncle.
(c) Mrs. Wilkins' first love that she occasionally sees.
(d) A friend of Mrs. Arbuthnot's husband.
4. How does Mrs. Fisher react the Mrs. Wilkins' enthusiasm in Chapter 7?
(a) With happiness.
(b) With enthusiasm.
(c) With impatience.
(d) With indifference.
5. What is the only word that the women can understand from the Italian man in Chapter 5?
(b) "San Salvatore".
(c) "Buon giorno".
6. What does Mrs. Fisher refer to frequently while speaking to Mrs. Arbuthnot in Chapter 7?
(a) What she plans on eating for dinner.
(b) Her memories of famous writers.
(c) Her favorite shops in the area.
(d) Her husband.
7. Who meets the women in the courtyard of the castle in Chapter 5?
8. What do Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot advertise in The Times?
(a) A private driver who can drive them to the villa.
(b) For other women to join them at the villa.
(c) A spare room at their homes in England.
(d) A cook to accompany them to the villa.
9. What is Mrs. Arbuthnot going to Hampstead for in Chapter 2?
(a) To deliver a lecture.
(b) To visit her niece.
(c) To shop for a particular perfume.
(d) To go to the museum.
10. What does Mrs. Fisher receive two plates of in Chapter 9?
11. At the end of Chapter 7, what does Mrs. Fisher feel has to be done about Mrs. Wilkins?
(a) She has to be thanked.
(b) She has to be celebrated.
(c) She has to be institutionalized.
(d) She has to be curbed.
12. How do the appearances of Mrs. Wilkins and Mrs. Arbuthnot change as they look outside in Chapter 6?
(a) They look a little sad and guilty.
(b) They look more relaxed, prettier and younger.
(c) They look more energized.
(d) They look bigger and brighter.
13. How much is the rent for the Italian villa?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) Eighty pounds.
(c) Sixty pounds.
(d) Forty-five pounds.
14. What do the two women do for the first time at the villa at the end of Chapter 5?
(a) They sing.
(b) Call each other by their first names.
(c) They show their faces without make-up.
(d) They each share a secret they never told anyone before.
15. How many replies do the women receive from their advertisement in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What newspaper is Mrs. Wilkins reading in Chapter 1?
2. What reminds Mrs. Fisher of her husband in Chapter 9?
3. According to Mrs. Wilkins at the train station, what does her husband have no right to do?
4. How does Mrs. Fisher feel when she sees she is the only one at the lunch table in Chapter 9?
5. How does Mrs. Fisher feel about the chatty and enthusiastic Mrs. Wilkins when she first meets her?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)