|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Holy Theatre, part 2 (p 61-72).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose "plays are symbols in an exact sense of the word. A false symbol is soft and vague: a true symbol is hard and clear"?
(a) Tennessee Williams.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Harold Pinter.
(d) Samuel Beckett.
2. "In the theatre, the tendency for centuries has been to put the actor" where?
(a) On a screen.
(b) In the air.
(c) At a remote distance.
(d) Close to us.
3. What does "Deadly Theatre" mean?
(a) Bad theatre.
(b) Intense theatre.
(c) Avant garde theatre.
(d) Great theatre.
4. What "can be anywhere, any time, of any duration: nothing is required, nothing is taboo"?
(a) A violent outbreak.
(b) A Happening.
(c) An emotional moment.
(d) An ordeal.
5. The author writes of productions in Russia of classical Shakespearean works which rehearsed for how long, yet were unable to perform as well as a hack company?
(a) One year.
(b) Five months.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes that New York has potentially the best audience in the world, but they don't go to the theatre. Why?
2. Who theorized the "Theatre of Cruelty"?
3. "When we accept Beckett's statement as it is, then suddenly all is _______."
4. In America, the author writes, "Years ago, ______ came into being to give a faith and continuity to those unhappy artists who were being so rapidly thrown in and out of work."
5. The author refers to Broadway not as a jungle, but a what?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)