|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Holy Theatre, part 1 (p 47 to 61).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did the author institute a group with the Royal Shakespeare Theatre called the Theatre of Cruelty?
(a) Charles Marowitz.
(b) Arthur Miller.
(c) Harold Pinter.
(d) Celice Dayton.
2. "The job of shifting oneself totally from one character to another--a principle on which all of Shakespeare and all of Chekhov is built--is a _______ task at any time."
3. What does the author contend is "the only trouble with violent shocks"?
(a) That they arrest thought.
(b) That they wear off.
(c) That they are empty.
(d) That they are false.
4. What play does the author juxtapose against Peter Weiss' play for an example of clarity of meaning?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Henry V.
(c) King Lear.
5. Who, according to the author, "was trained to reject cliché imitations of reality and to search for something more real in himself."
(a) The Method Actor.
(b) The Meisner Actor.
(c) The Chekhovian Actor.
(d) The Classical Actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author contends that "we do not know how to celebrate, because we do not know ____ to celebrate."
2. Which production does the author refer to in Paris which was a flop, so they offered three free performances?
3. What does the author refer to Meyerhold's experiments as?
4. What does the author contend that we have lost all sense of in modern times?
5. The author says that we think of what as killing the theatre?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)