|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Deadly Theatre, part 2 (p. 30-46).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which production does the author refer to in Paris which was a flop, so they offered three free performances?
(a) La Boheme.
(b) Les Miserables.
(c) Sergeant Musgrave's Dance.
(d) Caucasian Chalk Circle.
2. Within a constrained time allotted for rehearsal, what cannot occur, according to the author?
(a) Creative explosion.
(b) Finding truth.
(c) True impulse.
(d) Artistic risks.
3. What is fast disappearing from modern-day life?
(a) Creative impulses.
(b) Beliefs in ideals.
(c) Imperial gestures.
(d) Understanding of truths.
4. On the first day of rehearsal of what show did its composer, Harold Arlen, arrive wearing a blue cornflower, with champagne and presents for all?
(a) House of Flowers.
(b) La Boheme.
(c) Death of a Salesman.
(d) Les Miserables.
5. The author writes of an actor who studied the part of Hamlet for how many years and never played it because the director died before it was finished?
Short Answer Questions
1. What play does the author describe his enjoying producing in America rather than in England?
2. What play does the author use as an example of the actor's inability to play "adjectives"?
3. The author writes of productions in Russia of classical Shakespearean works which rehearsed for how long, yet were unable to perform as well as a hack company?
4. There is often a call for performing the classics in what way?
5. The author says that we think of what as killing the theatre?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)