|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Rough Theatre, part 1 (p. 73 to 92).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "There is eventually a need for _______ to reach the ultimate compactness and focus that collective work is almost obliged to miss."
2. What does the author say is nonexistent in today's world?
(a) A fight for truth.
(b) A Deadly Theatre.
(c) A competition with film.
(d) A true theatre of joy.
3. Of what play does the author write, "The optimism of the lady buried in the ground is not a virtue, it is the element that blinds her to the truth of her situation"?
(b) Happy Days.
(c) Waiting for Godot.
(d) Krapp's Last Tape.
4. Who "is the key figure of our time, and all theatre work today at some point starts or returns to his statements and achievement," according to Brook?
5. The author writes of an actor who studied the part of Hamlet for how many years and never played it because the director died before it was finished?
Short Answer Questions
1. In regard to music, the author says we may make a personality cult of whom?
2. What play does the author describe his enjoying producing in America rather than in England?
3. What does the author refer to Meyerhold's experiments as?
4. Who "spent his life railing against the theatre of illusion, but his most treasured memories were of painted trees and forests and his eyes would light up as he described effects of trompe d'Å“il"?
5. The author contends that "we do not know how to celebrate, because we do not know ____ to celebrate."
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)