|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Rough Theatre, part 2 (p. 93 to 109).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately how long is a rehearsal process in New York, according to the author?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) One week.
2. "In the theatre, the tendency for centuries has been to put the actor" where?
(a) Close to us.
(b) At a remote distance.
(c) On a screen.
(d) In the air.
3. The author refers to Broadway not as a jungle, but a what?
4. Joan Littlewood dressed her soldiers as what to create an alienation effect?
5. In Paris, Brook directed what show in which he did all in his power to inhibit applause, because appreciation of the actor's talents seemed irrelevant in a Concentration Camp document?
(a) The Tempest.
(b) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?
(c) The Representative.
(d) The Investigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. "A director dealing with elements that exist outside of himself can cheat himself into thinking his work more ______ than it is."
2. The author claims that a "true symbol" is what?
3. In America, the author writes, "Years ago, ______ came into being to give a faith and continuity to those unhappy artists who were being so rapidly thrown in and out of work."
4. Which company is mentioned by the author as using time well, rehearsing approximately 12 months for performances?
5. What are some of the physical aspects of the alienation effect?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)