|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Murray tell Danielle that he has arranged for them to do that evening?
2. To whom does Marina give copies of her manuscript to read?
3. How does Annabel treat Bootie when she finds him at the apartment when she returns early?
4. What does Ludo encourage Marina to do?
5. What does Julius tell Danielle after Marina leaves the apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes does Bootie make after he is kicked out of the Thwaite house and loses his job working for Murray?
2. What is the content of Chapter 51?
3. What memories does Danielle have about Marina's wedding the next morning?
4. How does Annabel treat Bootie even though he has made a huge mess in her home?
5. Where is Bootie after the September 11 attacks in New York?
6. What does the helicopter ride signify for Murray and Danielle?
7. Why does Danielle not go to the Thwaites' home in Stockbridge for the holiday weekend?
8. Why is Bootie so surprised by Murray's reactions to Bootie's expose on him?
9. What are Julius' feelings about his relationship with David at this point in his life?
10. How is Marina at odds with the important people in her life as she prepares for her wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being caught off guard is an important theme in THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Messud is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)