|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Marina give copies of her manuscript to read?
2. What kind of job does Bootie find?
3. What does Murray tell Danielle that he has arranged for them to do that evening?
4. What does David do when he finds Julius in the bathroom stall with the stranger?
5. What does Murray think about Marina's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of Chapter 51?
2. What does the helicopter ride signify for Murray and Danielle?
3. Why does Julius seem to be so uncomfortable around David's family?
4. Describe the altercation between David and Julius in the men's room at the bar.
5. What changes does Bootie make after he is kicked out of the Thwaite house and loses his job working for Murray?
6. What secret does Danielle continue to keep from Julius and Marina?
7. Where is Bootie after the September 11 attacks in New York?
8. In what way do Bootie and Danielle relate to each other?
9. What is Murray's opinion of Marina's book and how does she react to it?
10. What is the reason that David is so late in arriving home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Messud end the story on a note of hope for Danielle, Marina and Julius, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN is a classic story of loss and betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Julius. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Julius?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)