|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins Danielle and Randy for lunch?
2. In what city did Murray grow up?
3. What article has Marina requested that Bootie write?
(a) A piece on the winter theater season.
(b) An expose of Mayor Giuliani.
(c) An expose of Murray.
(d) A piece on the oil spill.
4. Where does Bootie feel abnormally claustrophobic?
(a) Danielle's tiny apartment.
(b) An elevator.
(c) The subway.
(d) A storage room.
5. What is the temperature in Julius' apartment?
(a) A little chilly.
(c) Very hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David represent for Julius?
2. Who is the maid at the Thwaites' home?
3. Whose arrival at the home does Marina dread?
4. With whom has Marina been consulting about her manuscript?
5. Where does Danielle live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of Julius' relationship with David after two months?
2. What dominates Danielle's thoughts as she prepares to go to sleep?
3. What is ironic about the chapter on raising children in Murray's book?
4. What is the premise of THE EMPEROR'S CHILDREN?
5. How does the author use the theme of being taken by surprise in this chapter?
6. What are the three versions of Murray shown in this chapter?
7. What do Danielle and her mother, Randy, do when her mother visits Danielle in Manhattan?
8. What are Danielle's feelings about her mother?
9. Who is Marina and what is the emotional drama she is working through?
10. What is Murray's philosophy on life since he was able to escape the banality of his childhood home?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)