|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What department caused problems with the peasants?
2. In the 1930s, who invaded Ethiopia?
3. Who aided the Emperor when he came to power?
4. What did the Emperor do as a child to show humility to his father?
5. What was done with the bodies of insurgents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened during a student demonstration in 1969?
2. What did international aid workers discover when they came to help the starving people of Ethiopia?
3. How did the Emperor keep track of the new developments that were being built?
4. How did foreign news correspondents obtain information about famine in the north of Ethiopia in 1973?
5. Describe Makonen.
6. Why did soldiers start a rebellion and arrest their superiors in the province of Sidamo?
7. Why did everyone especially wish to travel with the Emperor when he was visiting a foreign country?
8. What did Mengistu say when he faced a court martial for his part in the coup with Germame?
9. Why were dignitaries from Sidamo upset with Germame?
10. What did the people do to protect themselves from informers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Emperor played factions against each other in order to secure the power of his throne. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons why soldiers began revolting and arresting their senior officers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the complaints and suggestions of the university students.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)