|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What misfortune happened to "Z.S.-K"?
2. What were peasants doing to policemen?
3. Where were soldiers from who arrested General Abebe?
4. Who did the Emperor raise to the post of premier after all the strikes and rebellions?
5. How long did the tumultuous conflict last between the Palace and the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were dignitaries from Sidamo upset with Germame?
2. What were some of the new developments begun after the coup?
3. What did Mengistu say when he faced a court martial for his part in the coup with Germame?
4. Describe what the mortar man, "M.S." did.
5. Why was "N.L.E." fired from his job as titular clerk?
6. What post did the Emperor assign to Germame?
7. What happened during a student demonstration in 1969?
8. What had to be done to clean up the mess in the Palace after the coup ended?
9. How did foreign news correspondents obtain information about famine in the north of Ethiopia in 1973?
10. Why did soldiers start a rebellion and arrest their superiors in the province of Sidamo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why there was a connection between sadness and thinking that could lead to discontent within the Empire.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the uncommon jobs that servants had to perform in the Palace and how some of these jobs were viewed by outsiders.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the Emperor's visits had to be carefully planned. Why could he not simply show up unannounced in a province? Use examples from the book.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)