|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did "F.U.-H.'s" have his government job?
2. What did "Z.S.-K" say could lead "one right to the noose"?
3. What did children do while their parents were eating in the old days?
4. Who was the legal heir to the throne when Haile Selassie came to power?
5. When had the Emperor come to power through a conspiracy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did international aid workers discover when they came to help the starving people of Ethiopia?
2. Why was "N.L.E." fired from his job as titular clerk?
3. Why did the overseas benefactors begin suspending shipments of food to feed the starving?
4. Why did the Emperor introduce the Army-Police Hour?
5. Why was General Beleta Abebe arrested and held by his soldiers?
6. How did the Emperor make it acceptable to raise the taxes the peasants had to pay?
7. What were some of the new developments begun after the coup?
8. How did the Emperor keep track of the new developments that were being built?
9. What did Mengistu say when he faced a court martial for his part in the coup with Germame?
10. What happened during a student demonstration in 1969?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process that the peasants had to use to petition the Emperor for justice. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the atmosphere that permeated the Empire after the 1960 coup.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Germame and why he fell out of favor with the Emperor.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)