|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 47, what did "G.H.-M." say his nickname was at the Palace?
2. How many years was Prince Imru exiled from the country when he fail out of the Emperor's favor?
3. Who was the head of Palace Spies?
4. In 1963, what did some people steal at a reception for leaders of the independent African nations?
5. What would the guards do when the Emperor left the capital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the Emperor's sleeping habits?
2. Why would the ministers stay around the Palace all morning rather than being in their offices?
3. What types of positions did the Emperor assign personally?
4. Why did the foreign news correspondents decide not to complain to the Emperor about the communications arrangements?
5. In 1963, what did Kapuscinski see when he went outside to find a quiet place at the African leaders' reception?
6. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
7. Why was it an art for a footman to open and close doors for the Emperor?
8. Describe the reception the Emperor had for African leaders in 1963.
9. What was Addis Ababa like in 1963?
10. How did Haile Selassie dispense judgment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process that the peasants had to use to petition the Emperor for justice. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why it was dangerous for Kapuscinski to conduct interviews about the Empire.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the uncommon jobs that servants had to perform in the Palace and how some of these jobs were viewed by outsiders.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)