|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Tekele Wolda Hawariat beheaded?
2. How old was the Emperor when he became heir to the throne?
3. Who was the leader of the aristocrats?
4. What did the Emperor wear to dispense justice?
5. What singer was brought to serenade the leaders of the independent African nations in 1963?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 1963, what did Kapuscinski see when he went outside to find a quiet place at the African leaders' reception?
2. What was the background of the "personal people" in the palace, and what type of jobs did they hold?
3. What were the most tiring searches during the fetasha?
4. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
5. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
6. Why did the foreign news correspondents decide not to complain to the Emperor about the communications arrangements?
7. Why would the ministers stay around the Palace all morning rather than being in their offices?
8. How did the Emperor begin his day?
9. On page 47, why was "G.H.-M." called cuckoo behind his back?
10. On page 39, how did "W.A.-N" say that the people showed their greed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the process that the peasants had to use to petition the Emperor for justice. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the complaints and suggestions of the university students.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast life for the Emperor, ministers, and dignitaries to the life that the peasants lived.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)