|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men rode together on their jeeps patrolling?
2. In 1963, what meal did the foreign news correspondents share with the Emperor?
3. How much of a money bag might the Emperor be able to empty before riots would break out?
4. What was another name for the Imperial Palace?
5. Who published the Emperor's autobiography?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishments did the Emperor abolish at the beginning of his reign?
2. Why did the foreign news correspondents decide not to complain to the Emperor about the communications arrangements?
3. Why did a pillow have to be placed beneath the Emperor's feet when he was sitting on his throne?
4. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
5. Why would the ministers stay around the Palace all morning rather than being in their offices?
6. What were the most tiring searches during the fetasha?
7. Why was it an art for a footman to open and close doors for the Emperor?
8. After the revolution, what happened to many of the people who had been people of the Palace?
9. In 1963, what did Kapuscinski see when he went outside to find a quiet place at the African leaders' reception?
10. Why did the Emperor prefer bad ministers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the 1960 coup and why it failed.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Emperor's thrift with his extravagances.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the process that the peasants had to use to petition the Emperor for justice. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)