|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author say ran wild in Addis Ababa?
2. If the Emperor stopped in front of the lions' cage during his morning walk, what would he throw the lions?
3. According to "Y.M.", who was the Emperor's only teacher?
4. What was the hour between 10 and 11 a.m. called?
5. Who published the Emperor's autobiography?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did a pillow have to be placed beneath the Emperor's feet when he was sitting on his throne?
2. How did the Emperor's visits to the provinces drain the treasury?
3. On page 39, how did "W.A.-N" say that the people showed their greed?
4. What was the advantage for the Emperor of only receiving verbal reports with nothing written down?
5. How did the Emperor begin his day?
6. On page 47, why was "G.H.-M." called cuckoo behind his back?
7. Where did the Imperial court used to be located before Addis Abab became the capital of the Empire?
8. What punishments did the Emperor abolish at the beginning of his reign?
9. Describe the reception the Emperor had for African leaders in 1963.
10. What happened to get Prince Imru exiled for 20 years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Emperor's thrift with his extravagances.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the process that the peasants had to use to petition the Emperor for justice. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it was dangerous for Kapuscinski to conduct interviews about the Empire.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)