|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Packs of _________________ are placed around Kristina's body.
2. Many of the stories told by the peasants include __________________.
3. What had the elderly man who died brought with him to take to his son?
4. What is the literary term for Inga Lena's living all her life on land yet being buried at sea?
5. Who is the only person other than Ulrika of Vastergohl to avoid seasickness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the story times beneficial for the peasants?
2. Why does Robert begin to question his decision to make the journey to America?
3. What renews the passengers' loyalty to Sweden and the life they left behind?
4. Why does Inga-Lena keep her illness to herself?
5. What are some of the first hardships experienced by the passengers on the ship?
6. What does Robert learn about his friend, Frederik, on the ship?
7. What is Karl Oskar's mindset when it is learned that Kristina is bleeding from scurvy?
8. How does time become an important element in the peasants' lives?
9. Describe the lice infestation on ship and why Ulrika may be the only one who does not get them.
10. What is Karl Oskar's mindset, even in the face of adversity and disapproval from others, regarding his journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Karl Oskar. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Karl Oskar spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)