|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kristina think about the trip?
2. The peasants use the Almanac for the Year to note _________________.
3. Why does Karl have trouble walking on deck?
4. What does Karl Oskar think he can change?
5. What have the peasants overcome on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the ship a symbol for its passengers?
2. How does time become an important element in the peasants' lives?
3. Why does Inga-Lena keep her illness to herself?
4. How do the peasants fill their idle hours on ship?
5. What are some of the first hardships experienced by the passengers on the ship?
6. Why is passing the English coast a crossroads for the passengers?
7. Who seems to be the happiest on the sea voyage?
8. How are the story times beneficial for the peasants?
9. How do the family members cope with the first storm they encounter at sea?
10. What does Robert try to teach to Elin prior to their arrival in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the two major settings for the novel. Why does Moberg use the settings he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the quest for a better life will be an important one in the novel. How does the author begin to build this theme? Give examples of the quest for a better life throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)