|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the ship's passengers experience for the first time in Chapter 17?
2. To the peasants, __________________ is the first foreign country they see.
3. Captain Lorentz concludes that Kristina has __________________.
4. Robert is ridden with angst about memories of ____________________.
5. Who is the only person on board the ship who does not get body lice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert try to teach to Elin prior to their arrival in America?
2. To what does Kristina compare her conditions on the ship?
3. What temptation makes this leg of the journey especially difficult for Karl Oskar?
4. What is Karl Oskar's mindset when it is learned that Kristina is bleeding from scurvy?
5. How is the ship a symbol for its passengers?
6. How do the peasants fill their idle hours on ship?
7. What does the bird on ship signify for the peasants and also for the seamen?
8. How is the Swedish soil used in Inga Lena's funeral?
9. Why is passing the English coast a crossroads for the passengers?
10. How are the story times beneficial for the peasants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Danjel. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him during his lifetime?
Essay Topic 2
Karl Oskar spends some alone time throughout the novel to contemplate his life. What does he think about? What conclusions does he arrive at? Explain why he is in a contemplative mood at this point in time.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)