|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does Kristina miss while on the trip?
2. How many funerals have been held during this journey?
3. What happens for the first time during the trip in Chapter 18?
(a) Seasickness is gone.
(b) Casualties occur.
(c) Drinking water is gone.
(d) Land is sighted.
4. The passengers on the ship are separated by ______________________.
(a) slave or free.
(b) male and female.
(c) old or young.
(d) married and unmarried.
5. Why does Inga Lena suffer from her illness in silence?
(a) She does not want to be a whiner.
(b) She is afraid to tell Danjel.
(c) She does not want to make others feel bad for her.
(d) She does not like to be the center of attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Karl learns that the most fertile land in America is in which state?
2. What does Danjel do to overcome his doubts during the storm?
3. What does Danjel firmly believe during the storm?
4. What does Karl Oskar decide while on the trip?
5. Elin hopes to find work as _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the first two casualties on board the ship?
2. To what does Kristina compare her conditions on the ship?
3. What are some of the first hardships experienced by the passengers on the ship?
4. Who seems to be the happiest on the sea voyage?
5. Describe the long night during which Karl Oskar tends to the very ill Kristina.
6. What temptation makes this leg of the journey especially difficult for Karl Oskar?
7. What is Karl Oskar's mindset when it is learned that Kristina is bleeding from scurvy?
8. How does Inga Lena's funeral prompt the captain to give his philosophy on life and death?
9. How do the peasants fill their idle hours on ship?
10. How do the family members cope with the first storm they encounter at sea?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)