|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Karl have trouble walking on deck?
(a) He has balance issues.
(b) He is seasick.
(c) His shoes are too big.
(d) He has the flu.
2. Who is the only person other than Ulrika of Vastergohl to avoid seasickness?
(a) Piers Vosberg.
(b) Markus Svenson.
(c) Robert Nilsa.
(d) Karl Oskar.
3. Who is the only person who does not seem to be afflicted with seasickness?
4. Robert talks to a man on board who claims to be ___________________.
(a) an Episcopalian bishop.
(b) a plantation owner.
(c) a friend of the U.S. president.
(d) a marine merchant.
5. Captain Lorentz concludes that Kristina has __________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the passengers pass their time on the ship?
2. What are the peasants unaccustomed to?
3. How old is Captain Lorentz?
4. Who is Elin's mother?
5. What do Robert and Elin practice asking for in English?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert begin to question his decision to make the journey to America?
2. What does Robert learn about his friend, Frederik, on the ship?
3. How is the ship a symbol for its passengers?
4. What is Karl Oskar's mindset when it is learned that Kristina is bleeding from scurvy?
5. How does time become an important element in the peasants' lives?
6. What is Karl Oskar's mindset, even in the face of adversity and disapproval from others, regarding his journey?
7. What temptation makes this leg of the journey especially difficult for Karl Oskar?
8. Who are the first two casualties on board the ship?
9. What does the bird on ship signify for the peasants and also for the seamen?
10. What illness does Kristina get after her bout with sea sickness and why is she concerned for her children?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)