|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Karl learns that the most fertile land in America is in which state?
2. What happens for the first time during the trip in Chapter 18?
(a) Casualties occur.
(b) Land is sighted.
(c) Drinking water is gone.
(d) Seasickness is gone.
3. What is important to Karl Oskar as he disembarks?
(a) To find fresh water.
(b) To find something good to eat.
(c) To go to church.
(d) To make a good impression.
4. What do Robert and Elin practice asking for in English?
(a) Fresh water.
5. What do the peasants find to be insufficient on board the ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is put into Inga's mouth before her body is thrown into the ocean?
2. In reality, Frederik is not _____________________.
3. What does Danjel firmly believe during the storm?
4. What does Danjel tell Inga-Lena to do to cope with seasickness?
5. What are the peasants unaccustomed to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is passing the English coast a crossroads for the passengers?
2. How deeply is Kristina affected by seasickness?
3. What is Karl Oskar's mindset, even in the face of adversity and disapproval from others, regarding his journey?
4. How do the peasants fill their idle hours on ship?
5. How does time become an important element in the peasants' lives?
6. How is the Swedish soil used in Inga Lena's funeral?
7. Who are the first two casualties on board the ship?
8. What temptation makes this leg of the journey especially difficult for Karl Oskar?
9. What renews the passengers' loyalty to Sweden and the life they left behind?
10. What is Karl Oskar's mindset as he embarks on his new life?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)