|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the immigrants most regret about going to America?
(a) Leaving their buried relatives.
(b) Leaving their childhood homes.
(c) Leaving their churches.
(d) Leaving their parents.
2. Who is Karl's sister?
3. What destroys Karl Oskar's crops?
(c) Too much rain.
4. With whom does Robert share a room?
5. Kristina thinks that _____________________ would make it easier to cope with finances.
(b) taking in laundry.
(d) having less children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Neither Karl Oskar nor his children face _____________________.
2. What is the name of the ship that will take the immigrants to America?
3. Kristina is _______________ almost year after year.
4. On what day of the week do Karl Oskar and Kristina leave for America?
5. What is Robert's punishment for being late?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment does Robert receive that finally makes him leave Aron's farm?
2. Who are the characters who comprise Karl Oskar's family?
3. Describe Robert's propensity to wander and roam.
4. Who is Danjel Andreasson, and what are his religious beliefs?
5. How is Robert caught by his master, Aron of Nybacken?
6. Describe Robert's grim life in Chapter 3.
7. How does Karl Oskar meet his wife, Kristina?
8. What is the vision that Danjel feels compelled to follow, and how is his wife conflicted by it?
9. What are the good and bad omens at the beginning of Karl Oskar and Kristina's trip?
10. What crime does Robert stop Arvid from committing and what do they see as their only escape?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)