|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of the stories told by the peasants include __________________.
2. Why does Karl Oskar's son, Johann, wake him up in the middle of the night?
(a) Kristina is bleeding heavily.
(b) He is hungry.
(c) The storm scard him.
(d) He had a bad dream.
3. What do the passengers seem to miss on their journey?
(d) The seasons.
4. Which of the following is a food which the ship's passengers do NOT lack?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(d) Salted food.
5. What is the literary term for Inga Lena's living all her life on land yet being buried at sea?
6. Elin hopes to find work as _________________.
(a) a teacher.
(b) a cook.
(c) a dancer.
(d) a housemaid.
7. What have the peasants overcome on the ship?
8. Frederik Mattsson tells Robert that Frederik is to work __________________.
(a) on a brothel ship.
(b) in a theater.
(c) on a farm.
(d) in a factory.
9. What is a major challenge for the ship's passengers?
10. What is put into Inga's mouth before her body is thrown into the ocean?
(a) A pipe.
(b) A scoop of dirt.
(c) Rose petals.
(d) A crust of bread.
11. Who is the only person other than Ulrika of Vastergohl to avoid seasickness?
(a) Robert Nilsa.
(b) Markus Svenson.
(c) Piers Vosberg.
(d) Karl Oskar.
12. What illness does Kristina get in Chapter 21?
13. Jonas Petter tells a story about a man who could not be buried because ____________________.
(a) his wife would not allow it.
(b) he was not Swedish.
(c) he wanted to be cremated.
(d) his erection would not go away.
14. Whose funeral is held on the ship in Chapter 25?
(a) Inga Lena's.
(c) Karl Oskar's.
15. Why does Captain Lorentz feel sorry for Karl Oskar?
(a) He thinks Kristina will die.
(b) He knows he doesn't have any money.
(c) He thinks he is too ill to start a new life.
(d) He knows his children have disappointed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. All immigrants risk everything they have in their determination to _____________________.
2. Towards the middle of their journey, the peasants become impatient with _______________.
3. Captain Lorentz also serves as __________________.
4. What reminds the peasants of what they have left behind?
5. What food does Kristina miss while on the trip?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)