|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The peasants use the Almanac for the Year to note _________________.
(a) full moons.
(b) days and weeks.
2. What does Kristina hallucinate about?
(a) Singing to her dead child.
(c) Swinging on a rope.
(d) Swimming in a pond.
3. Who is Elin's mother?
4. Why does the person in #128 die?
(a) The water has bacteria in it.
(b) There is not enough food.
(c) The peasants won't lace her abscess.
(d) He had a pre-existing illness.
5. Who is the only person other than Ulrika of Vastergohl to avoid seasickness?
(a) Karl Oskar.
(b) Markus Svenson.
(c) Piers Vosberg.
(d) Robert Nilsa.
6. The passengers on the ship are separated by ______________________.
(a) married and unmarried.
(b) old or young.
(c) male and female.
(d) slave or free.
7. Towards the middle of their journey, the peasants become impatient with _______________.
(a) bad food.
(c) bad weather.
8. How many people must sleep in the same family compartment as Kristina?
9. What is a major challenge for the ship's passengers?
10. Captain Lorentz also serves as __________________.
(a) a doctor.
(b) a sheriff.
(c) a cook.
(d) a minister.
11. Why does Karl Oskar's son, Johann, wake him up in the middle of the night?
(a) He is hungry.
(b) The storm scard him.
(c) He had a bad dream.
(d) Kristina is bleeding heavily.
12. Whose funeral is held on the ship in Chapter 25?
(c) Inga Lena's.
(d) Karl Oskar's.
13. Who is the first person to die during the trip?
(a) A young man with tuberculosis.
(b) A stillborn baby.
(c) A girl with an abscess.
(d) A crippled old man.
14. What is another name for the disease Kristina contracts?
15. Kristina's weakness toward her husband usually results in _______________.
(b) long talks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Kristina miss while on the trip?
2. After the storm, the ship reaches the ________________ coast in Chapter 19.
3. What do the peasants find to be insufficient on board the ship?
4. All immigrants risk everything they have in their determination to _____________________.
5. Robert is ridden with angst about memories of ____________________.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)