|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert has trouble with his ______________ while on the ship.
2. How many people must sleep in the same family compartment as Kristina?
3. What does Karl Oskar decide while on the trip?
(a) He will never take a sea voyage again.
(b) He wants to start a coffee farm.
(c) He will return to Sweden in ten years.
(d) He wants to have another daughter.
4. Robert and Elin note ____________________ as they get closer to land.
(a) the color of the sky.
(b) the increase in temperature.
(c) the seagulls.
(d) the different color of the ocean.
5. What is another name for the disease Kristina contracts?
6. Karl learns that the most fertile land in America is in which state?
7. Who feels that his life is easier while on board the ship?
8. The peasants say they will always have warm feelings for _________________.
(d) The sea.
9. What do the passengers seem to miss on their journey?
(c) The seasons.
10. Robert is ridden with angst about memories of ____________________.
(a) going to school.
(b) drowning his cat.
(c) his first love.
(d) leaving Sweden.
11. What is important to Karl Oskar as he disembarks?
(a) To go to church.
(b) To find something good to eat.
(c) To make a good impression.
(d) To find fresh water.
12. In reality, Frederik is not _____________________.
13. What do the peasants find to be insufficient on board the ship?
14. What is the literary term for Inga Lena's living all her life on land yet being buried at sea?
15. What happens for the first time during the trip in Chapter 18?
(a) Drinking water is gone.
(b) Casualties occur.
(c) Seasickness is gone.
(d) Land is sighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the passengers pass their time on the ship?
2. Where is Frederik supposed to go for another job he tells Frederik about?
3. For the seamen, the disappearance of ________________ is a bad omen.
4. What does Robert teach Elin on board the ship?
5. What have the peasants overcome on the ship?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)