|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert wonders about the records about him in _____________________.
(a) the school.
(b) the church book.
(c) the sheriff's office.
(d) city hall.
2. Why does Ulrika want to go to America?
(a) She wants to find an American husband.
(b) She wants to practice her religion freely.
(c) She wants to start a business in America.
(d) She regards Sweden as a hellhole.
3. Fredrik of Kvantorpet trades his master's _____________ for money that he keeps for himself.
4. Which of the following is NOT included in the items Karl Oskar packs for the trip to America?
5. Who is now Danjel's farmhand?
6. What is Karl's surname?
7. The people in Karl Oskar's village think his plan to move is ________________.
8. Why is Kristina especially apprehensive about going on the voyage?
(a) Her mother is ill.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) It is bad weather.
(d) She is ill.
9. The man in #43 practices the banned religion of ________________________.
(a) Ake Svensson.
(b) Lars Nyberg.
(c) Bjorn Andreasson.
(d) Erik Svensson.
10. What is Robert's first job?
(a) Herd boy.
11. Karl leaves home as a teenager and works as a _________________.
12. Karl Oskar's future is determined by ________________.
13. What does Robert do on his way to his new job?
(a) Has a picnic lunch.
(b) Courts a girl.
(c) Mails a letter.
(d) Simulates his suicide.
14. How does Karl Oskar see the bright side of Kristina's pregnancy?
(a) The child won't require solid food for awhile.
(b) He would like to have another daughter.
(c) The baby gets free passage to America.
(d) The child will be an American citizen.
15. Why is Robert flogged by his employer in Chapter 6?
(a) He let the cows free.
(b) He seduces his daughter.
(c) He gambles.
(d) He breaks the wagon shaft.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the child in #65 eat that causes her death?
2. What is the relation of the man in #43 to Karl Oskar and Kristina?
3. Who is Danjel's daughter?
4. What law does Danjel refuse to obey?
5. Who is the captain of the ship the immigrants take to America?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)