|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is closest to the Planck length?
(a) A thousandth of a centimeter.
(b) A millionth of a billionth of a billionth of a billionth of a centimeter.
(c) A billionth of a billionth of a centimeter.
(d) A millionth of a centimeter.
2. What are the vibrational patterns that a string can exhibit called?
3. Which of the following is one of the major problems in using both quantum physics and general relativity?
(a) At small scales, quantum physics predicts uncertainty, but general relativity requires certainty.
(b) General relativity is time-dependant, quantum physics is a steady-state theory.
(c) General relativity is a wave theory, but quantum physics is a particle theory.
(d) Quantum physics predicts that all particles are massless.
4. Which of the following is a correct statement, based on the theory of special relativity?
(a) Time is always the same to all observers, but space is not.
(b) Energy only exists relative to mass.
(c) Movement can only be measured relative to very massive objects, such as stars.
(d) Time and space are not experienced exactly the same by all observers
5. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
(a) Electricity and magnetism.
(b) Energy and light.
(c) Energy and mass.
(d) Light and magnetism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is correct about the speed at which light moves?
2. Which of the following is NOT an actual version of string theory?
3. According to special relativity, which of the following is true about the passage of time for an observer moving near the speed of light?
4. What characteristic did Werner Heisenberg discovered that some features of the universe at very small scales, and some properties of particle?
5. If a clock were accelerated to nearly the speed of light for a year's time, which of the following would be true of its reading at the end of that time?
Short Essay Questions
1. State Newton's law of gravity.
2. In physics, what is symmetry?
3. What are strings composed of?
4. Describe the relationship between the vibration of a string and the particle it represents, including the particle's mass and the tension, wavelength, and amplitude of the string.
5. List the four fundamental forces of the universe, their functions, and describe where and at what scales they are most commonly observed.
6. Describe some of the problems with uniting quantum mechanics and general relativity.
7. Describe Max Planck's solution to the infinite-energy problem.
8. According to Einstein's theory for the photoelectric effect, what is the relationship between the frequency of light and the electrons ejected by the metal?
9. Describe the nature and origin of quantum foam.
10. How does string theory reconcile quantum mechanics and the theory of general relativity?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)