|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fifteen, Prospects.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Greene suggests that black holes may be elementary particles that have undergone _____.
(a) A quantum fluctuation.
(b) A space-tearing flop transition.
(c) A mirror-symmetry folding.
(d) A phase transition.
2. There are many possible Calabi-Yau spaces, but only shapes with which of the following characteristics are considered real possibilities?
(a) Those that meet the vibration requirements and have an appropriate number of dimensions.
(b) Those that unify the four forces and have no extended dimensions.
(c) Those that solve the perturbation theory.
(d) Those that have no time-dimensions.
3. The horizon problem is the contradiction that which of the following properties of the universe shouldn't be uniform, but is?
(a) The gravitational constant.
(b) The electroweak field depth.
(c) The cosmic background radiation.
(d) The cosmological constant.
4. Who first proposed the existence of extra dimensions?
5. According to string theory, what is the fabric of space-time made of?
(a) It does not really exist.
(b) Calabi-Yau spaces.
(c) An enormous three-brane.
(d) The coherent state of strings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is entropy a measure of?
2. The discovery of the tearing of space-time came from cooperation between experts in physics and _____.
3. Which of the following is one of the major problems in using both quantum physics and general relativity?
4. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the weak force?
5. What is the shape of all particles, at the smallest possible level, according to string theory?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)