|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Fifteen, Prospects.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule did Max Planck discover the electromagnetic waves bounded in a container, such as an oven, must follow?
(a) They must have a whole number of peaks and troughs that fit perfectly inside the container.
(b) There must be an even number of peaks and troughs.
(c) The frequencies of the waves must all be the same.
(d) The energies of all waves inside the over must cancel out to zero.
2. What is the collapse and reformation of a Calabi-Yau shape called?
(a) A manifold transition.
(b) A space-tearing flop transition.
(c) A binary transition.
(d) A conifold transition.
3. What is the Planck mass?
(a) The typical energy of a quark.
(b) The typical mass of a vibrating string.
(c) The typical mass created by quantum foam over one nano-second.
(d) The average mass gained by a string when it changes to a higher-frequency pattern.
4. What property do zero-dimensional strings have?
(a) They create dark matter when they form a virtual pair.
(b) They do not interact with space-time, they simply are.
(c) They are the only particle with zero spin.
(d) They have infinite mass.
5. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the strong force?
(a) The muon.
(b) The hadron.
(c) The gluon.
(d) The baryon.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is believed that early on, the universe experienced symmetry breaking, meaning that _____.
2. Which of the following is true about the background microwave radiation of the universe?
3. What is the fundamental force responsible for keeping the nucleus of an atom "glued" together?
4. Which of the following qualities must a physical law have in order to be considered symmetric?
5. Which of the following is NOT a property that is used to define both black holes and elementary particles?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)