|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Microscopic Weirdness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to general relativity, all objects that have mass have what effect on space-time?
(a) They fold space-time as they move past one another.
(b) They warp space-time around them.
(c) They tear space-time when they travel at near-light speeds.
(d) They stretch space-time for other very distant objects.
2. Quantum physics began with the study of the energy inside a heated, closed container, such as an oven. The problem with theories at the time was that they predicted that _____.
(a) The oven can store more energy the smaller it is.
(b) The oven contains no energy.
(c) The oven can only store energy if it has no mass.
(d) The oven contains infinite energy.
3. According to special relativity, which of the following can move faster than light?
(b) Nothing can move faster than light.
(c) Gravitational waves.
(d) Quantum data.
4. What rule did Max Planck discover the electromagnetic waves bounded in a container, such as an oven, must follow?
(a) There must be an even number of peaks and troughs.
(b) The energies of all waves inside the over must cancel out to zero.
(c) The frequencies of the waves must all be the same.
(d) They must have a whole number of peaks and troughs that fit perfectly inside the container.
5. Edwin Hubble used Einstein's theories to show that the fabric of the universe _____.
(a) Has a finite boundary.
(b) Is not flat, it is curved, either inwards or outwards.
(c) Is uniform in all places and times.
(d) Is not static, it must either be shrinking or expanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fundamental particle, the smallest possible bundle of energy, for the electromagnetic force?
2. Which of the following did Einstein considered time?
3. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
4. General relativity is incompatible with _____.
5. According to general relativity, the change that an object causes in the fabric of space-time depends directly on _____.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)