|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Microscopic Weirdness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to general relativity, all objects that have mass have what effect on space-time?
(a) They stretch space-time for other very distant objects.
(b) They tear space-time when they travel at near-light speeds.
(c) They fold space-time as they move past one another.
(d) They warp space-time around them.
2. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
(a) Its frequency of vibration.
(b) The number of other strings with which it is threaded.
(c) Its mass.
(d) Its length.
3. Which of the following correctly describes the structure of an atom?
(a) A single nucleus composed of both electrons and protons.
(b) A cloud of neutrons orbiting a nucleus of other particles.
(c) A cloud of protons, each with an electron orbiting it.
(d) A cloud of electrons orbiting a dense nucleus.
4. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
(a) Energy and light.
(b) Electricity and magnetism.
(c) Energy and mass.
(d) Light and magnetism.
5. According to special relativity, which of the following can move faster than light?
(b) Nothing can move faster than light.
(c) Gravitational waves.
(d) Quantum data.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the distance between two objects is doubled, what happens to the strength of the gravitational pull between them?
2. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, if two objects have a gravitational pull on one another, and one changes its mass or distance from the other, how quickly does the effect of this change travel to the other object?
3. According to general relativity, the change that an object causes in the fabric of space-time depends directly on _____.
4. Black holes are dense and massive cosmological bodies. What unique distinction do they have?
5. Which of the following is a correct statement, based on the theory of special relativity?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)