|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the characteristics of a wave?
(a) Frequency, polarity, and wavelength.
(b) Frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.
(c) Amplitude and energy.
(d) Energy level, polarity, and speed.
2. Why are the extra dimensions needed in string theory?
(a) To remove time from its equations.
(b) To account for the infinite-energy problem.
(c) To prevent the negative and infinite answers to its physical equations.
(d) To provide more space for strings.
3. What is supergravity?
(a) The gravitational conditions inside a black hole.
(b) A combination of general relativity and supersymmetry.
(c) The gravitational force felt at the Planck scale.
(d) The relativistic effect of two particles occupying the same location.
4. In string theory, how do strings interact?
(a) By threading.
(b) By joining and splitting.
(c) By resonating with each other.
(d) By colliding and tangling.
5. In M-theory, what role does duality play?
(a) It helps to incorporate general relativity.
(b) It allows space-tearing flop transitions to extend into extra dimensions.
(c) It shows that the five theories are connected.
(d) It links electromagnetism and gravity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strong-weak duality?
2. Which of the following accurately describes the phenomenon of "quantum tunneling"?
3. Which physicist is credited with discovering that light is composed of particles?
4. Kaluza-Klein theory units which two fundamental forces?
5. How many dimensions are necessitated by M-theory?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)