|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The smallest possible unit of energy is referred to as _____.
(a) A photon.
(b) A quantum.
(c) A muon.
(d) A quark.
2. What is the importance of the string-coupling constant?
(a) It is crucial in estimating the amount of dark energy in the universe.
(b) It determines the energy released during a string's collapse.
(c) If discovered, it could validate string theory as a whole.
(d) It could invalidate the perturbation method.
3. The wave-like nature of the electron means that after a collision, _____.
(a) The electron will double in frequency.
(b) The electron can never be located again.
(c) The electron has a range of possible locations.
(d) The electron will disperse into a wave of energy.
4. Who first proposed the existence of extra dimensions?
5. Which physicist is credited with discovering that light is composed of particles?
Short Answer Questions
1. Under string theory, which of the following is true regarding extra dimensions?
2. Richard Feynman's "sum over paths" theory states that in the double-slit experiment, an electron behaves in what way?
3. Which of the following best describes the fate of Kaluza-Klein theory?
4. What are the characteristics of a wave?
5. How many dimensions are necessitated by M-theory?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)