|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Renee careful about as she walks to Kakuro's apartment?
2. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
3. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
4. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
5. What conflict does Paloma witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Manuela happy about the new tenant?
2. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
3. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
4. Why does Paloma displease a teacher at her school?
5. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
6. What does Paloma want of Renee when she comes to Renee's door at eight?
7. What does Renee do when a package comes for Columbe?
8. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
9. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
10. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog" belongs to the novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a historical novel?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)