|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
2. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
3. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
4. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
5. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Renee do when a package comes for Columbe?
2. How does Renee obtain a dress for her date and what disturbs her about the dress?
3. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
4. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
5. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
6. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
7. What does Renee think of Kakuro's bathroom and what surprises her about it?
8. How does Renee give herself away as far as her intelligence to the new tenant?
9. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle over her own parents?
10. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Muriel Barbery.
2. What in Barbery's background may have helped her in writing "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)