|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Manuela joyful?
2. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
3. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
4. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
5. What overwhelms Paloma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
2. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
3. How does Renee give herself away as far as her intelligence to the new tenant?
4. Why does Paloma displease a teacher at her school?
5. What does Renee think is wrong with Columbe's thesis and why?
6. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
7. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
8. Why is Manuela happy about the new tenant?
9. What fight does Paloma describe between her mother and another woman?
10. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)