|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
2. What does Renee ask Manuela to do?
3. Who is Marguerite?
4. What overwhelms Paloma?
5. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
2. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
3. What does Renee do when a package comes for Columbe?
4. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
5. What fight does Paloma describe between her mother and another woman?
6. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
7. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
8. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
9. How does Renee obtain a dress for her date and what disturbs her about the dress?
10. Why is Manuela happy about the new tenant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog" belongs to the novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)