|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
2. What happens in Chapter 16?
3. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
4. What makes Paloma wonder what else a person might ignore?
5. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Renee as she enters Kakuro's apartment and what does that make her consider?
2. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
3. What does Renee do when a package comes for Columbe?
4. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
5. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
6. Why is Manuela happy about the new tenant?
7. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
8. What does Renee think of Kakuro's bathroom and what surprises her about it?
9. What does Paloma feel and think when she hears her school choir singing?
10. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle over her own parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Renee. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Paloma. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Kakuro. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Muriel Barbery.
2. What in Barbery's background may have helped her in writing "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)