|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
2. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
3. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
4. What amazes Renee about her new hair style?
5. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
2. What fight does Paloma describe between her mother and another woman?
3. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
4. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
5. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
6. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
7. How does Renee give herself away as far as her intelligence to the new tenant?
8. What does Paloma feel and think when she hears her school choir singing?
9. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
10. How does Renee obtain a dress for her date and what disturbs her about the dress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Elegance of the Hedgehog, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Renee Michel is a highly intelligent woman who has had the misfortune of being born poor. Renee has it in her mind that poor people are not supposed to be intelligent, therefore she hides her intelligence from the people around her, going to great lengths to create an appearance that shows lack of intelligence and imagination as well as a general disinterest in the world around her. To the contrary, Renee is quite intelligent, taking great joy from reading literature and philosophy, as well as watching artistic movies and studying great art. Renee is a complex person who hides her intelligence behind a mask to keep the world from intruding on her carefully created world.
1. Discuss, in depth, the reasons Renee might think being poor excludes intelligence. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
2. Pretending that Renee is your friend, write a letter to her explaining to her what you see are the problems with the way she hides herself. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
3. Discuss possible reasons that often poor people are seen as less intelligent than others. Include in your discussions factors such as low birth weight, poor diet, lack of access to quality education and social and environmental reasons. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)