|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
2. What does Renee ask Manuela to do?
3. How does Kakuro respond when Renee quotes from the book?
4. What disturbs Paloma about the therapist?
5. What does Paloma request of Renee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
2. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
3. What does Renee think of Kakuro's bathroom and what surprises her about it?
4. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
5. What surprises Renee as she enters Kakuro's apartment and what does that make her consider?
6. Briefly describe Renee's dinner with Kakuro.
7. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle over her own parents?
8. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
9. Why is Manuela happy about the new tenant?
10. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of being yourself in this book. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to hide themselves? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider not just the physical deaths which take place but any changes that may be a type of death.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Renee is not terribly impressed with most of the tenants, looking down on them because they are so filled with their own beliefs that they cannot see what is right in front of them. For this reason, Renee feels somewhat superior to the wealthy tenants of the building. Renee also tells the reader how she is mainly uneducated, only learning how to read because a teacher took special interest in the affection starved child she once was. This too is how Renee ended up married to her husband, because he saw past the masks and her ugliness to see the woman underneath. Renee feels that although her husband was not her intellectual equal, he was a good man and they had a good marriage.
1. Discuss reasons why Renee has formed her opinion of the tenants in her building. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
2. Do you think most people do not notice service people around them, such as concierges, store clerks, mail carriers, etc.? Why or why not? How might this affect these people? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
3. What are the ways in which people could interact with others in order to see past the surface characteristics? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)