|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What arrives for Columbe?
2. What do Paloma and Kakuro decide to do?
3. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
4. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
5. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wakes Renee at seven and what does Renee tell the person?
2. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
3. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
4. What does Paloma feel and think when she hears her school choir singing?
5. How does Renee give herself away as far as her intelligence to the new tenant?
6. What does Paloma want of Renee when she comes to Renee's door at eight?
7. How does Renee obtain a dress for her date and what disturbs her about the dress?
8. What does Renee think is wrong with Columbe's thesis and why?
9. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
10. What fight does Paloma describe between her mother and another woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
In Paloma's journal entries, it soon becomes clear that she feels persecuted by her sister and ignored by her mother, both normal teenager complaints. However, these complaints are compounded by Paloma's incredible intelligence and insight into the world. Paloma feels as if no one truly sees her or understands her, the opposite of what she claims is her reason for wanting to commit suicide, leading the reader to better understand that Paloma is a normal child with normal complaints, a child with similar emotional baggage to that which Renee carries around. These two characters clearly have a great deal in common.
1. Do you think Paloma is persecuted by her sister and ignored by her mother? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss the dichotomy of Paloma not wanting to be in a "fishbowl" yet wanting people to see or understand her. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
3. Explain, with examples, why you think Paloma is or is not a fairly normal teenager.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)