|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Renee think of what she read of this author?
2. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
3. What does Renee feel art does?
4. Where is Manuela from?
5. Why does Manuela come early for tea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What filmmaker has Renee recently been introduced to and which film does she like of his and why?
2. What does Paloma think is important to her mother and what does she say about her mother?
3. Who is Manuela and what does she want to do?
4. What was Renee's marriage like?
5. What way did Paloma consider suicide and what why does she finally settle upon in her mind?
6. When and why does Renee's formal education end?
7. What does Renee say when the son of a tenant in the building says something to Renee about Marx?
8. What does Paloma believe about life and why?
9. What does Paloma decide to do after observing an interesting rugby player?
10. Describe Olympe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog" belongs to the novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of being yourself in this book. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to hide themselves? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider not just the physical deaths which take place but any changes that may be a type of death.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)