|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Renee think of what she read of this author?
2. What does Renee love to do?
3. What does Paloma decide to do for her next birthday?
4. Who is Manuela?
5. What does Paloma think of Maître Arthens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young man who mentions Marx react to Renee's suggestion, and what is Renee's response?
2. Describe Renee Michel.
3. What has Renee decided about phenomenology and how does she use Kant to come to this conclusion?
4. What does Paloma notice about one of the rugby players?
5. About whom do Renee and Manuela gossip when they are having tea?
6. What does Paloma Josse believe her future will be like and how does she plan to avoid that future?
7. What does Renee remember about Arthens' son?
8. What does Paloma hear at a dinner party and what does it make her think?
9. What was Renee's marriage like?
10. What is one of Renee's favorite movie and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Elegance of the Hedgehog, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)