|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Renee fond of The Munekata Sisters?
2. Why does Manuela come early for tea?
3. What was Arthens' son's problem?
4. Why does Renee hide her intelligence from others?
5. What does Paloma believe about life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paloma think of Maître Arthens?
2. What note does Renee receive and what astounds her about the note?
3. Who is Manuela and what does she want to do?
4. What does Paloma believe about life and why?
5. What do the Renee's clients believe about concierges and how does Renee try to project their image of the average concierge?
6. What does Renee say when the son of a tenant in the building says something to Renee about Marx?
7. Who stops to ask Renee something when she and Manuela are talking and what is Renee's feelings about it?
8. How does Madame de Broglie injure her ankle?
9. When and why does Renee's formal education end?
10. What does Paloma notice about one of the rugby players?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)