|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Madame Badoise injure her ankle?
2. Who does Renee use to further her arguments against the subject she just finished studying?
3. How is Paloma's mother is towards everything else besides the one important thing?
4. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
5. Why is the movie most significant to Renee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Manuela and what does she want to do?
2. What does Paloma think of Maître Arthens?
3. Describe Renee Michel.
4. What does Paloma hear at a dinner party and what does it make her think?
5. What does Paloma Josse believe her future will be like and how does she plan to avoid that future?
6. What is Renee's educational background and who fostered her desire to learn?
7. Where does Renee work; how long has she worked there, and what are her clients like?
8. What was Renee's marriage like?
9. What does Renee remember about Arthens' son?
10. Why does Chabrot come to Renee's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of being yourself in this book. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to hide themselves? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider not just the physical deaths which take place but any changes that may be a type of death.
Essay Topic 2
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog" belongs to the novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)