Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one result for Renee of Arthens' pending death?
2. Who is Manuela?
3. What does Paloma feel Columbe's goal in life is?
4. Who is Neptune?
5. For how long has Paloma's mother been taking anti-anxiety medicines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
2. What do the Renee's clients believe about concierges and how does Renee try to project their image of the average concierge?
3. What does Paloma think is important to her mother and what does she say about her mother?
4. Why does Jean Arthens visit Renee?
5. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
6. What causes Renee to reflect on the meaning of life and what is her conclusion?
7. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
9. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
10. What image does Renee have of concierges, and why was it easier for her to keep up her charade of the unintelligent concierge when her husband was alive?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of being yourself in this book. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to hide themselves? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider not just the physical deaths which take place but any changes that may be a type of death.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in this book to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)