Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one result for Renee of Arthens' pending death?
2. Who is Manuela?
3. What does Paloma feel Columbe's goal in life is?
4. Who is Neptune?
5. For how long has Paloma's mother been taking anti-anxiety medicines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
2. What do the Renee's clients believe about concierges and how does Renee try to project their image of the average concierge?
3. What does Paloma think is important to her mother and what does she say about her mother?
4. Why does Jean Arthens visit Renee?
5. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
6. What causes Renee to reflect on the meaning of life and what is her conclusion?
7. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
9. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
10. What image does Renee have of concierges, and why was it easier for her to keep up her charade of the unintelligent concierge when her husband was alive?
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Barbery chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Barbery chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Barbery's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Barbery use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is? Explain your response.
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)