Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one result for Renee of Arthens' pending death?
2. Who is Manuela?
3. What does Paloma feel Columbe's goal in life is?
4. Who is Neptune?
5. For how long has Paloma's mother been taking anti-anxiety medicines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
2. What do the Renee's clients believe about concierges and how does Renee try to project their image of the average concierge?
3. What does Paloma think is important to her mother and what does she say about her mother?
4. Why does Jean Arthens visit Renee?
5. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
6. What causes Renee to reflect on the meaning of life and what is her conclusion?
7. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
8. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
9. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
10. What image does Renee have of concierges, and why was it easier for her to keep up her charade of the unintelligent concierge when her husband was alive?
Essay Topic 1
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog" belongs to the novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a novel and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Renee. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Paloma. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Kakuro. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Did you feel that the vow Paloma makes at the end of the book is enough to consider it a happy ending in view of Renee's death? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)