|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Athena and Neptune attempt to do?
2. To what does Paloma feel that her family's wealth subject her?
3. Who is gossiping about Madame de Broglie?
4. What do Renee's clients believe in common?
5. Why of Paloma punished?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young man who mentions Marx react to Renee's suggestion, and what is Renee's response?
2. How does Madame de Broglie injure her ankle?
3. What does Renee say when the son of a tenant in the building says something to Renee about Marx?
4. Describe Renee Michel.
5. What way did Paloma consider suicide and what why does she finally settle upon in her mind?
6. What do the Renee's clients believe about concierges and how does Renee try to project their image of the average concierge?
7. What does Paloma Josse believe her future will be like and how does she plan to avoid that future?
8. What does Paloma decide to do after observing an interesting rugby player?
9. What does Paloma hear at a dinner party and what does it make her think?
10. Why does Chabrot come to Renee's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this book. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of being yourself in this book. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to hide themselves? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Consider not just the physical deaths which take place but any changes that may be a type of death.
Essay Topic 3
Renee Michel is a highly intelligent woman who has had the misfortune of being born poor. Renee has it in her mind that poor people are not supposed to be intelligent, therefore she hides her intelligence from the people around her, going to great lengths to create an appearance that shows lack of intelligence and imagination as well as a general disinterest in the world around her. To the contrary, Renee is quite intelligent, taking great joy from reading literature and philosophy, as well as watching artistic movies and studying great art. Renee is a complex person who hides her intelligence behind a mask to keep the world from intruding on her carefully created world.
1. Discuss, in depth, the reasons Renee might think being poor excludes intelligence. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
2. Pretending that Renee is your friend, write a letter to her explaining to her what you see are the problems with the way she hides herself. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
3. Discuss possible reasons that often poor people are seen as less intelligent than others. Include in your discussions factors such as low birth weight, poor diet, lack of access to quality education and social and environmental reasons. Use examples from the book and your own life to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)