|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
(a) Paloma has a book in her hand Renee loves.
(b) Renee is lonely.
(c) She does not want to shut the door in Paloma's face.
(d) Paloma seemed to need to talk.
2. What happens in Chapter 16?
(a) The summer drought continues.
(b) Renee finds a kitten.
(c) Paloma continues her suicide preparations.
(d) The summer rains begin.
3. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
(a) That Renee is not nervous.
(b) That Renee does not have a suitable dress.
(c) That Renee is terribly nervous.
(d) That Renee had even thought of turning Kakuro down.
4. Who is Paul Nguyen?
(a) Kakuro's nephew.
(b) Kakuro's son.
(c) Kakuro's cousin.
(d) Kakuro's assistant.
5. Who is Yoko?
(a) Paloma's school friend.
(b) Kakuro's great-niece.
(c) Kakuro's granddaughter.
(d) Paloma's cousin's maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paloma request of Renee?
2. What does Renee think people with good educations should do?
3. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
4. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
5. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
2. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle over her own parents?
3. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
4. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
5. What surprises Renee as she enters Kakuro's apartment and what does that make her consider?
6. Briefly describe Renee's dinner with Kakuro.
7. What does Renee think of Kakuro's bathroom and what surprises her about it?
8. With whom does Paloma have tea and how does she respond to the event?
9. What does Paloma feel and think when she hears her school choir singing?
10. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)