|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
(a) Because her mother cannot speak English very well.
(b) Because her mother's father was the commander in occupied Japan.
(c) Because most of the tenents shun her mother.
(d) Because her mother is black.
2. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
(a) Learning to play bridge.
(b) Having given herself away to Kakuro.
(c) What to read for the evening.
(d) How to redeem herself with Manuela.
3. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Open doorways.
(b) Bead curtins.
(c) Bamboo curtins.
(d) Sliding doors.
4. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
(a) If Renee is dating Kakuro.
(b) If Paloma may help Renee in her duties.
(c) If Renee knows the young man who is the concierge in the next building.
(d) If it is alright for Paloma to spend time at Renee's apartment.
5. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
(a) Paloma seemed to need to talk.
(b) Paloma has a book in her hand Renee loves.
(c) She does not want to shut the door in Paloma's face.
(d) Renee is lonely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
2. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
3. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
4. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
5. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paloma find interesting about the new tenant as concerns her mother?
2. What does Kakuro want when he comes to Renee's apartment, and what is her response?
3. What does Kakuro send Renee and what does she do?
4. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
5. What happens when Renee goes to the cleaners to retrieve the beige dress?
6. How does Renee obtain a dress for her date and what disturbs her about the dress?
7. What does Paloma want of Renee when she comes to Renee's door at eight?
8. Why does Paloma displease a teacher at her school?
9. What fight does Paloma describe between her mother and another woman?
10. With whom does Paloma have tea and how does she respond to the event?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)