|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disturbs Paloma about the therapist?
(a) How he constantly clears his throat.
(b) The way he looks at her mother.
(c) His indifference to anything she says.
(d) His violent reaction to her threats.
2. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
(a) The Grelier.
(b) The Butler.
(c) The maintenance man.
(d) The cook.
3. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
(a) Two crossed Samurai swords.
(b) A tapestry from 1300s Japan.
(c) A Japanese music box.
(d) A reproduction of one of Renee's favorite paintings.
4. Who is Paul Nguyen?
(a) Kakuro's nephew.
(b) Kakuro's assistant.
(c) Kakuro's cousin.
(d) Kakuro's son.
5. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is not Japanese.
(b) It is German.
(c) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(d) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Yoko?
2. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
3. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
4. Who calls Kakuro?
5. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manuela tell Renee about Kakuro's apartment, and what is Renee's response?
2. What does Renee think about art in Chapters 10 and 11?
3. What do Renee and Manuela discuss concerning Renee's upcoming dinner date?
4. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist and what fascinates her about him?
5. What does Paloma want of Renee when she comes to Renee's door at eight?
6. What does Paul Nguyen tell Renee when he comes to her door and what is Renee's response?
7. With whom does Paloma have tea and how does she respond to the event?
8. What does Paloma feel and think when she hears her school choir singing?
9. What surprises Renee as she enters Kakuro's apartment and what does that make her consider?
10. Briefly describe Renee's dinner with Kakuro.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)