|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Tolstoy's books does Renee love in particular?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) The Power of Darkness.
(c) The Cossacks.
(d) Anna Karenina.
2. Where does Paloma hear a statement she thinks is totally wrong?
(a) A church christening.
(b) A dinner party.
(c) A formal family dinner.
(d) A polo match.
3. What did Arthens' son once ask Renee?
(a) Why she would work there when she was so smart.
(b) The name of some flowers.
(c) Where he could buy some cocaine.
(d) The name of her cat.
4. Why is Renee fond of The Munekata Sisters?
(a) She actually hates the film.
(b) They are so simple and easy to understand.
(c) The film is set in an area Renee has always wanted to visit.
(d) The breathtaking metaphor in some of the scenes.
5. Who has Renee studied recently?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Renee think of Manuela?
2. What does Renee Michel do for a living?
3. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
4. What surprised Renee about her husband?
5. Why is the movie most significant to Renee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Renee decided about phenomenology and how does she use Kant to come to this conclusion?
2. Who stops to ask Renee something when she and Manuela are talking and what is Renee's feelings about it?
3. What does Paloma hear at a dinner party and what does it make her think?
4. What image does Renee have of concierges, and why was it easier for her to keep up her charade of the unintelligent concierge when her husband was alive?
5. What does Paloma think is important to her mother and what does she say about her mother?
6. How does the young man who mentions Marx react to Renee's suggestion, and what is Renee's response?
7. What filmmaker has Renee recently been introduced to and which film does she like of his and why?
8. How does Madame de Broglie injure her ankle?
9. Who is Manuela and what does she want to do?
10. Describe Paloma.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)