|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
(a) Calls her on the phone.
(b) Comes in person to her door.
(c) Sends her an invitation with his assistant.
(d) Sends her an invitation with Paloma.
2. What does Renee tell Columbe?
(a) To call the concierge that is on duty.
(b) That a phone call is as bad as Colombe coming to the door and knocking.
(c) That she should call the police.
(d) That the concierge's loge is not open until 8.
3. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
(b) Light blue.
(c) Soft rose.
4. What conflict does Paloma witness?
(a) Between her mother and older sister.
(b) Between her father and mother.
(c) Between Renee and one of the tenants.
(d) Between her mother and another woman at a sale.
5. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
(b) A poem.
6. About what is Manuela joyful?
(a) Seeing Renee happy.
(b) Quitting her job with Madame Pallieres.
(c) Planning a trip to Portugal.
(d) Getting a visa to go home.
7. What fascinates Renee about Kakuro?
(a) He is Japanese.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is over six feet tall.
(d) He is pleasant to her.
8. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
(a) That Renee had even thought of turning Kakuro down.
(b) That Renee does not have a suitable dress.
(c) That Renee is terribly nervous.
(d) That Renee is not nervous.
9. What is Renee careful about as she walks to Kakuro's apartment?
(a) That she play "dumb."
(b) That she not be seen.
(c) That she let it known she is not on duty.
10. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Open doorways.
(b) Bead curtins.
(c) Bamboo curtins.
(d) Sliding doors.
11. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(b) The way the Japanese value austerity.
(c) The painting in the entryway.
(d) The haiku poem he gives her.
12. Who is Paul Nguyen?
(a) Kakuro's son.
(b) Kakuro's nephew.
(c) Kakuro's assistant.
(d) Kakuro's cousin.
13. What bothers Renee a little about the dress Manuela borrows for her?
(a) It isvery expensive.
(b) It seems a little revealing.
(c) It seems to flashy.
(d) It was made for a woman who is now deceased.
14. From what book does Renee quote after meeting Kakuro?
(a) Hunt for Red October.
(b) War and Peace.
(d) Anna Karenina.
15. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
(b) She needs an accessory.
(c) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the bust.
(d) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the hips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Levin and Kitty?
2. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
3. What does Renee think about what Columbe has focused upon in her work?
4. What amazes Renee about her new hair style?
5. Why is Columbe been driving Paloma crazy?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)