|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
(a) Introduces her to the new tenent in the building.
(b) Give her a gift certificate.
(c) Push for better benefits.
(d) Push for a raise.
2. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
(a) He has a bald spot on the side of his head.
(b) His eyes are two different colors.
(c) His hands are smaller than Paloma's hands.
(d) He does not seem to move even when he talks.
3. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
(a) They are fun and full of life.
(b) They are more attentive to Paloma and others.
(c) They are kinder and more liberal.
(d) They seem to have accepted their place in the world.
4. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
(a) The curriculum that Paloma wants to study next semester.
(b) The new decorations in the lobby.
(c) Columbe's master's thesis.
(d) Paloma's own poetry.
5. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(c) Paloma's mother.
6. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is German.
(b) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(c) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(d) It is not Japanese.
7. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A crash.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A knock on her door.
(d) A scream.
8. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(a) Strange noises.
(b) A lot of shouting.
9. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
(a) That Kakuro is sweet on Renee.
(b) That Kakuro is sweet on Manuela.
(c) That Renee is lonely.
(d) That Renee is quite intelligent.
10. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
(a) Get a pedicure.
(b) Get her hair done.
(c) Get a facial.
(d) Learn about Kakuro.
11. Who are Levin and Kitty?
(a) Paloma's cousins.
(b) Kakuro's cats.
(c) Brother and sister who come by the building every morning with the newspapers.
(d) The only other children in the building.
12. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
(a) He wants her to reside in his apartment complex.
(b) He gave her raise.
(c) He has a good-looking cook about her age.
(d) He has few demands.
13. What does Renee do in response to the gift?
(a) Nothing yet.
(b) Writes a thank you note right away.
(c) Sends the book back.
(d) Goes and knocks on Kakuro's door.
14. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
(a) The fact that Renee is young to be in charge of the entire building.
(c) The rancor that some in France feel towards Orientals.
(d) Renee's lack of education.
15. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
(a) To prove to the therapist that her daughter has problems.
(b) To have the therapist explain about her mother's illness.
(c) Because of a comment Paloma makes.
(d) To show the therapist that she could raise a good daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
2. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
3. Who is Marguerite?
4. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
5. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)