|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Marguerite?
(a) Paloma's friend.
(b) Renee's niece.
(c) The dressmaker.
(d) Paloma's cousin.
2. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
(a) A tapestry from 1300s Japan.
(b) A reproduction of one of Renee's favorite paintings.
(c) Two crossed Samurai swords.
(d) A Japanese music box.
3. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
(a) Take Paloma on an outing.
(b) Watch The Munekata Sisters.
(c) Go to the Japanese Tea Gardens.
(d) Visit the art museum.
4. What overwhelms Paloma?
(a) Seeing Renee all dressed up.
(b) Seeing Kakuro in traditional Japanese dress.
(c) The sound of the school's choir in concert.
(d) Hearing Kakuro play the piano.
5. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
(b) She needs an accessory.
(c) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the bust.
(d) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the hips.
6. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(a) A lot of shouting.
(b) Strange noises.
7. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
(a) They are fun and full of life.
(b) They seem to have accepted their place in the world.
(c) They are more attentive to Paloma and others.
(d) They are kinder and more liberal.
8. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
(a) He has a good-looking cook about her age.
(b) He wants her to reside in his apartment complex.
(c) He gave her raise.
(d) He has few demands.
9. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
(a) Get her hair done.
(b) Get a facial.
(c) Learn about Kakuro.
(d) Get a pedicure.
10. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
(a) That Renee does not have a suitable dress.
(b) That Renee is not nervous.
(c) That Renee had even thought of turning Kakuro down.
(d) That Renee is terribly nervous.
11. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) It has no heavy-style furniture.
(b) It has no carpets.
(c) It is painted in shades of white.
(d) There is nothing superfluous.
12. What does Renee do in response to the gift?
(a) Sends the book back.
(b) Goes and knocks on Kakuro's door.
(c) Writes a thank you note right away.
(d) Nothing yet.
13. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
(a) That they take off their shoes.
(b) That the younger person pours the tea for the older person.
(c) That the more powerful person pours the tea for the less powerful person.
(d) That they hide the sounds of flushing.
14. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Renee is crying.
(b) Paloma being there.
(c) Renee has a black eye.
(d) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
15. What does Renee tell Columbe?
(a) That she should call the police.
(b) That the concierge's loge is not open until 8.
(c) To call the concierge that is on duty.
(d) That a phone call is as bad as Colombe coming to the door and knocking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
2. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
3. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
4. With what is Paloma's cousin born?
5. What is Paloma escaping?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)