|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Paul Nguyen?
(a) Kakuro's assistant.
(b) Kakuro's nephew.
(c) Kakuro's cousin.
(d) Kakuro's son.
2. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(a) A lot of shouting.
(b) Strange noises.
3. What disturbs Paloma about the therapist?
(a) His violent reaction to her threats.
(b) How he constantly clears his throat.
(c) His indifference to anything she says.
(d) The way he looks at her mother.
4. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(c) Paloma's mother.
5. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
(a) Visit the art museum.
(b) Go to the Japanese Tea Gardens.
(c) Take Paloma on an outing.
(d) Watch The Munekata Sisters.
6. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
(a) To show the therapist that she could raise a good daughter.
(b) To prove to the therapist that her daughter has problems.
(c) To have the therapist explain about her mother's illness.
(d) Because of a comment Paloma makes.
7. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Her love of the outdoors.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Having young children still at home.
(d) Her politics.
8. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
(a) Having given herself away to Kakuro.
(b) What to read for the evening.
(c) Learning to play bridge.
(d) How to redeem herself with Manuela.
9. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) There is nothing superfluous.
(b) It has no heavy-style furniture.
(c) It is painted in shades of white.
(d) It has no carpets.
10. What overwhelms Paloma?
(a) The sound of the school's choir in concert.
(b) Seeing Kakuro in traditional Japanese dress.
(c) Hearing Kakuro play the piano.
(d) Seeing Renee all dressed up.
11. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
(a) She needs an accessory.
(c) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the hips.
(d) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the bust.
12. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A knock on her door.
(c) A scream.
(d) A crash.
13. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Renee is crying.
(b) Paloma being there.
(c) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
(d) Renee has a black eye.
14. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
(b) She should dumb that down also.
(c) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
(d) She wishes she could paint.
15. What happens in Chapter 16?
(a) Paloma continues her suicide preparations.
(b) The summer drought continues.
(c) The summer rains begin.
(d) Renee finds a kitten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
2. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
3. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
4. What fascinates Renee about Kakuro?
5. What does Paloma request of Renee?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)