|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Renee think people with good educations should do?
(a) Be responsible for their ideas.
(b) Appreciate their opportunity for a good education.
(c) Dedicate their lives to making the world better.
(d) Do more than make money.
2. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The painting in the entryway.
(b) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(c) The haiku poem he gives her.
(d) The way the Japanese value austerity.
3. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
(a) He has few demands.
(b) He has a good-looking cook about her age.
(c) He gave her raise.
(d) He wants her to reside in his apartment complex.
4. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
(b) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the bust.
(c) The dress needs to be taken in a little in the hips.
(d) She needs an accessory.
5. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
(a) Calls her on the phone.
(b) Comes in person to her door.
(c) Sends her an invitation with his assistant.
(d) Sends her an invitation with Paloma.
6. What makes Paloma feel hope?
(a) A realization about where life can take her.
(b) Meeting Kakuro.
(c) Her mother giving her a sincere hug.
(d) Realizing Renee is not who she implies she is.
7. What does Paloma wonder what might be the true movement of the world?
(a) Hands clasping each other.
(b) Piano music.
(c) The sound of the ocean waves.
(d) Voices raised in song.
8. Who are Levin and Kitty?
(a) Paloma's cousins.
(b) The only other children in the building.
(c) Kakuro's cats.
(d) Brother and sister who come by the building every morning with the newspapers.
9. Who is Paul Nguyen?
(a) Kakuro's cousin.
(b) Kakuro's son.
(c) Kakuro's nephew.
(d) Kakuro's assistant.
10. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(b) She should have turned the book down.
(c) She should have taken the book back in person.
(d) She should have sent him a book.
11. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A knock on her door.
(b) A scream.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A crash.
12. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Having young children still at home.
(b) Her love of the outdoors.
(c) Her religion.
(d) Her politics.
13. Who is Yoko?
(a) Paloma's cousin's maid.
(b) Kakuro's great-niece.
(c) Paloma's school friend.
(d) Kakuro's granddaughter.
14. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
(a) An expensive copy of Anna Karenina.
(b) An expensive copy of A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) An expensive copy of Middlemarch.
(d) An expensive copy of Barbet.
15. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Open doorways.
(b) Sliding doors.
(c) Bamboo curtins.
(d) Bead curtins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paloma request of Renee?
2. What overwhelms Paloma?
3. What does Renee do in response to the gift?
4. What does a courier deliver to Renee?
5. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)