|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes Renee about her new hair style?
(a) It seems so chic.
(b) It bespeaks a woman of taste.
(c) It is so fluffy.
(d) It is simple yet elegant.
2. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
(a) She does not want to shut the door in Paloma's face.
(b) Paloma has a book in her hand Renee loves.
(c) Paloma seemed to need to talk.
(d) Renee is lonely.
3. What arrives for Columbe?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A letter from a beau.
(c) Her master's thesis.
(d) A dress.
4. Who are Levin and Kitty?
(a) Paloma's cousins.
(b) Brother and sister who come by the building every morning with the newspapers.
(c) The only other children in the building.
(d) Kakuro's cats.
5. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
(a) A tapestry from 1300s Japan.
(b) A Japanese music box.
(c) A reproduction of one of Renee's favorite paintings.
(d) Two crossed Samurai swords.
6. Who calls Kakuro?
(a) His broker.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His son.
(d) His mother.
7. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
(a) They are kinder and more liberal.
(b) They are more attentive to Paloma and others.
(c) They are fun and full of life.
(d) They seem to have accepted their place in the world.
8. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
(a) To have the therapist explain about her mother's illness.
(b) To prove to the therapist that her daughter has problems.
(c) To show the therapist that she could raise a good daughter.
(d) Because of a comment Paloma makes.
9. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
(a) Because her mother is black.
(b) Because her mother cannot speak English very well.
(c) Because most of the tenents shun her mother.
(d) Because her mother's father was the commander in occupied Japan.
10. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
(a) The Butler.
(b) The cook.
(c) The Grelier.
(d) The maintenance man.
11. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
(a) Having given herself away to Kakuro.
(b) Learning to play bridge.
(c) What to read for the evening.
(d) How to redeem herself with Manuela.
12. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Sliding doors.
(b) Bead curtins.
(c) Bamboo curtins.
(d) Open doorways.
13. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She wishes she could paint.
(b) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
(c) She should dumb that down also.
(d) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
14. What does Renee think people with good educations should do?
(a) Do more than make money.
(b) Appreciate their opportunity for a good education.
(c) Be responsible for their ideas.
(d) Dedicate their lives to making the world better.
15. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) It has no carpets.
(b) It has no heavy-style furniture.
(c) There is nothing superfluous.
(d) It is painted in shades of white.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
2. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
3. Who is Paul Nguyen?
4. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
5. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)