|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
(a) Having given herself away to Kakuro.
(b) How to redeem herself with Manuela.
(c) Learning to play bridge.
(d) What to read for the evening.
2. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Her love of the outdoors.
(b) Her politics.
(c) Having young children still at home.
(d) Her religion.
3. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
(a) That Renee is lonely.
(b) That Renee is quite intelligent.
(c) That Kakuro is sweet on Renee.
(d) That Kakuro is sweet on Manuela.
4. Why is Columbe been driving Paloma crazy?
(a) In taunting her about her trip to see the therapist.
(b) In bad mouthing the new tenant.
(c) In saying she will recommend their mother not let Paloma be with Kakuro.
(d) In talking about Columbe's trip to Venice.
5. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(b) It is not Japanese.
(c) It is German.
(d) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
6. From what book does Renee quote after meeting Kakuro?
(a) Hunt for Red October.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Anna Karenina.
7. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
(b) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(c) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
(d) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
8. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
(a) Take Paloma on an outing.
(b) Watch The Munekata Sisters.
(c) Go to the Japanese Tea Gardens.
(d) Visit the art museum.
9. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) There is nothing superfluous.
(b) It has no heavy-style furniture.
(c) It is painted in shades of white.
(d) It has no carpets.
10. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A scream.
(b) A knock on her door.
(c) A crash.
(d) A phone call.
11. What does Renee think about what Columbe has focused upon in her work?
(a) Columbe has focused on the wrong things.
(b) Columbe has focused upon the weaker argument, which waters down the effect of the writing.
(c) Columbe's priviledged upbringing has given her a narrow perspective.
(d) Columbe has totally missed the point and the writing is invalid.
12. Why does Renee wear a handkerchief to work?
(a) It matches her dress.
(b) To keep a man from the next building from bothering her.
(c) To hide her hair that needs cut.
(d) To hide her new hair style.
13. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
(a) An expensive copy of Anna Karenina.
(b) An expensive copy of Middlemarch.
(c) An expensive copy of Barbet.
(d) An expensive copy of A Tale of Two Cities.
14. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
(a) The ease with which so many artists create art.
(b) The way so many people no longer care about art.
(c) The purpose of art.
(d) The way the value of art has changed over the years.
15. What makes Paloma wonder what else a person might ignore?
(a) When Renee pretends she hears no insults from a tenant.
(b) When Kakuro ignores someone who mutters something about Japanese.
(c) When the two people she observes in a fight both ignore their right hands.
(d) When Paloma's father ignores a terribly hungry person on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
2. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
3. Who is Paul Nguyen?
4. How does Kakuro respond when Renee quotes from the book?
5. What overwhelms Paloma?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)