|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have turned the book down.
(b) She should have sent him a book.
(c) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(d) She should have taken the book back in person.
2. What fascinates Renee about Kakuro?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is Japanese.
(c) He is pleasant to her.
(d) He is over six feet tall.
3. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
(a) What to read for the evening.
(b) Having given herself away to Kakuro.
(c) How to redeem herself with Manuela.
(d) Learning to play bridge.
4. What is Paloma escaping?
(a) A difficult school assignment.
(b) Talking to her mother.
(c) Her family.
(d) A boy two floors down.
5. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
(b) A poem.
6. What does Renee think about concerning art?
(a) Its way of soothing stress.
(b) Its inconsistency.
(c) Its incongruence.
(d) Its ability to heal.
7. What discussion takes place at Renee's apartment?
(a) The reason the average person resents the wealthy.
(b) The differences between French and English cultures.
(c) The difference between and good and bad death.
(d) The differences between film and literature.
8. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(a) A lot of shouting.
(d) Strange noises.
9. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
(a) Soft rose.
(b) Light blue.
10. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is not Japanese.
(b) It is German.
(c) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(d) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
11. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A knock on her door.
(b) A crash.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A scream.
12. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
(a) Two crossed Samurai swords.
(b) A reproduction of one of Renee's favorite paintings.
(c) A tapestry from 1300s Japan.
(d) A Japanese music box.
13. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
(a) If Paloma may help Renee in her duties.
(b) If Renee knows the young man who is the concierge in the next building.
(c) If it is alright for Paloma to spend time at Renee's apartment.
(d) If Renee is dating Kakuro.
14. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
(a) The new decorations in the lobby.
(b) Paloma's own poetry.
(c) The curriculum that Paloma wants to study next semester.
(d) Columbe's master's thesis.
15. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(b) The painting in the entryway.
(c) The haiku poem he gives her.
(d) The way the Japanese value austerity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 16?
2. What makes Paloma feel hope?
3. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
4. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
5. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)