|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kakuro respond when Renee quotes from the book?
(a) He tells her she has misquoted.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He frowns at her audacity.
(d) He finishes the quote.
2. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(b) A lot of shouting.
(d) Strange noises.
3. What happens in Chapter 16?
(a) The summer drought continues.
(b) Renee finds a kitten.
(c) Paloma continues her suicide preparations.
(d) The summer rains begin.
4. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
(a) Columbe's master's thesis.
(b) The new decorations in the lobby.
(c) Paloma's own poetry.
(d) The curriculum that Paloma wants to study next semester.
5. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is not Japanese.
(b) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(c) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(d) It is German.
6. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
(a) To see if he is a good therapist.
(b) To get him to move.
(c) To see if he is able to read her well.
(d) To provoke him into making Paloma leave.
7. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
(d) Like a little girl.
8. What is Paloma escaping?
(a) A difficult school assignment.
(b) Talking to her mother.
(c) A boy two floors down.
(d) Her family.
9. What overwhelms Paloma?
(a) The sound of the school's choir in concert.
(b) Seeing Kakuro in traditional Japanese dress.
(c) Seeing Renee all dressed up.
(d) Hearing Kakuro play the piano.
10. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(b) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
(c) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
(d) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
11. What makes Paloma feel hope?
(a) Her mother giving her a sincere hug.
(b) Realizing Renee is not who she implies she is.
(c) A realization about where life can take her.
(d) Meeting Kakuro.
12. With what is Paloma's cousin born?
(a) A cleft palette.
(b) Cerebral palsy.
(c) Down's syndrome.
(d) A hole in her heart.
13. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A knock on her door.
(b) A crash.
(c) A scream.
(d) A phone call.
14. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Open doorways.
(b) Sliding doors.
(c) Bead curtins.
(d) Bamboo curtins.
15. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
(a) Push for a raise.
(b) Introduces her to the new tenent in the building.
(c) Give her a gift certificate.
(d) Push for better benefits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
2. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
3. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
4. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
5. Who is Paul Nguyen?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)