|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Paloma escaping?
(a) A boy two floors down.
(b) Her family.
(c) Talking to her mother.
(d) A difficult school assignment.
2. What does a courier deliver to Renee?
(a) An invitation.
(b) A small cat statue.
(c) An expensive book.
(d) A pair of tickets.
3. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
(a) They seem to have accepted their place in the world.
(b) They are fun and full of life.
(c) They are kinder and more liberal.
(d) They are more attentive to Paloma and others.
4. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
(a) That Kakuro is sweet on Manuela.
(b) That Kakuro is sweet on Renee.
(c) That Renee is lonely.
(d) That Renee is quite intelligent.
5. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
(a) To get him to move.
(b) To see if he is able to read her well.
(c) To provoke him into making Paloma leave.
(d) To see if he is a good therapist.
6. How does Kakuro respond when Renee quotes from the book?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He finishes the quote.
(c) He frowns at her audacity.
(d) He tells her she has misquoted.
7. What does Paloma wonder what might be the true movement of the world?
(a) Piano music.
(b) The sound of the ocean waves.
(c) Hands clasping each other.
(d) Voices raised in song.
8. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
(a) Columbe's master's thesis.
(b) The curriculum that Paloma wants to study next semester.
(c) Paloma's own poetry.
(d) The new decorations in the lobby.
9. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(a) Paloma's mother.
10. Who calls Kakuro?
(a) His broker.
(b) His son.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His mother.
11. Who is Marguerite?
(a) Paloma's friend.
(b) Paloma's cousin.
(c) The dressmaker.
(d) Renee's niece.
12. What fascinates Renee about Kakuro?
(a) He is pleasant to her.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is over six feet tall.
(d) He is Japanese.
13. What conflict does Paloma witness?
(a) Between her mother and another woman at a sale.
(b) Between her mother and older sister.
(c) Between her father and mother.
(d) Between Renee and one of the tenants.
14. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
(c) Like a little girl.
15. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A scream.
(b) A knock on her door.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paloma and Kakuro decide to do?
2. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
3. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
4. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
5. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)