|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
(a) To have the therapist explain about her mother's illness.
(b) Because of a comment Paloma makes.
(c) To show the therapist that she could raise a good daughter.
(d) To prove to the therapist that her daughter has problems.
2. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) It is painted in shades of white.
(b) It has no carpets.
(c) It has no heavy-style furniture.
(d) There is nothing superfluous.
3. Who is Yoko?
(a) Paloma's cousin's maid.
(b) Kakuro's granddaughter.
(c) Paloma's school friend.
(d) Kakuro's great-niece.
4. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(b) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
(c) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
(d) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
5. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
(a) That the more powerful person pours the tea for the less powerful person.
(b) That they take off their shoes.
(c) That the younger person pours the tea for the older person.
(d) That they hide the sounds of flushing.
6. Who calls Kakuro?
(a) His son.
(b) His broker.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His mother.
7. What does Renee do in response to the gift?
(a) Nothing yet.
(b) Writes a thank you note right away.
(c) Sends the book back.
(d) Goes and knocks on Kakuro's door.
8. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
(b) Like a little girl.
9. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(b) Strange noises.
(d) A lot of shouting.
10. Who is Marguerite?
(a) The dressmaker.
(b) Paloma's cousin.
(c) Paloma's friend.
(d) Renee's niece.
11. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
(a) His hands are smaller than Paloma's hands.
(b) He does not seem to move even when he talks.
(c) His eyes are two different colors.
(d) He has a bald spot on the side of his head.
12. With what is Paloma's cousin born?
(a) A cleft palette.
(b) A hole in her heart.
(c) Down's syndrome.
(d) Cerebral palsy.
13. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A crash.
(b) A phone call.
(c) A knock on her door.
(d) A scream.
14. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The haiku poem he gives her.
(b) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(c) The way the Japanese value austerity.
(d) The painting in the entryway.
15. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have turned the book down.
(b) She should have sent him a book.
(c) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(d) She should have taken the book back in person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Renee careful about as she walks to Kakuro's apartment?
2. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
3. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
4. What arrives for Columbe?
5. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)