|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
(a) They seem to have accepted their place in the world.
(b) They are more attentive to Paloma and others.
(c) They are fun and full of life.
(d) They are kinder and more liberal.
2. What does Renee do in response to the gift?
(a) Nothing yet.
(b) Sends the book back.
(c) Writes a thank you note right away.
(d) Goes and knocks on Kakuro's door.
3. What does Renee tell Columbe?
(a) To call the concierge that is on duty.
(b) That she should call the police.
(c) That the concierge's loge is not open until 8.
(d) That a phone call is as bad as Colombe coming to the door and knocking.
4. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The way the Japanese value austerity.
(b) The painting in the entryway.
(c) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(d) The haiku poem he gives her.
5. Why is Columbe been driving Paloma crazy?
(a) In taunting her about her trip to see the therapist.
(b) In bad mouthing the new tenant.
(c) In talking about Columbe's trip to Venice.
(d) In saying she will recommend their mother not let Paloma be with Kakuro.
6. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
(a) His hands are smaller than Paloma's hands.
(b) He has a bald spot on the side of his head.
(c) His eyes are two different colors.
(d) He does not seem to move even when he talks.
7. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(b) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
(c) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
(d) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
8. What does Renee ask Manuela to do?
(a) Contact Paloma's mother.
(b) Take care of Renee's cat.
(c) Make pastries.
(d) Help Paloma.
9. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
(b) The fact that Renee is young to be in charge of the entire building.
(c) The rancor that some in France feel towards Orientals.
(d) Renee's lack of education.
10. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
(c) Like a little girl.
11. Who is Yoko?
(a) Paloma's school friend.
(b) Kakuro's granddaughter.
(c) Paloma's cousin's maid.
(d) Kakuro's great-niece.
12. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
(a) An expensive copy of Anna Karenina.
(b) An expensive copy of Middlemarch.
(c) An expensive copy of A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) An expensive copy of Barbet.
13. Who calls Kakuro?
(a) His mother.
(b) His broker.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
14. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
(a) Take Paloma on an outing.
(b) Watch The Munekata Sisters.
(c) Visit the art museum.
(d) Go to the Japanese Tea Gardens.
15. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
(a) The cook.
(b) The maintenance man.
(c) The Butler.
(d) The Grelier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
2. What does Manuela say about Renee's looks when Renee dons her borrowed dress?
3. What arrives for Columbe?
4. Who is Marguerite?
5. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)