|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
(a) An expensive copy of Anna Karenina.
(b) An expensive copy of Middlemarch.
(c) An expensive copy of Barbet.
(d) An expensive copy of A Tale of Two Cities.
2. What arrives for Columbe?
(a) A letter from a beau.
(b) Her master's thesis.
(c) A dress.
(d) A telegram.
3. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Having young children still at home.
(b) Her politics.
(c) Her love of the outdoors.
(d) Her religion.
4. Why does Paloma's mother take her to a therapist?
(a) To have the therapist explain about her mother's illness.
(b) Because of a comment Paloma makes.
(c) To show the therapist that she could raise a good daughter.
(d) To prove to the therapist that her daughter has problems.
5. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(a) Strange noises.
(c) A lot of shouting.
6. What is Renee careful about as she walks to Kakuro's apartment?
(a) That she not be seen.
(b) That she let it known she is not on duty.
(c) That she play "dumb."
7. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
(a) Two crossed Samurai swords.
(b) A reproduction of one of Renee's favorite paintings.
(c) A Japanese music box.
(d) A tapestry from 1300s Japan.
8. Why is Renee embarrassed?
(a) She falls into him when she stumbles on the door step.
(b) She trips on the floor mat.
(c) She thought a particular painting was done by someone else.
(d) She needs to use the bathroom.
9. Why does Renee wear a handkerchief to work?
(a) To keep a man from the next building from bothering her.
(b) It matches her dress.
(c) To hide her hair that needs cut.
(d) To hide her new hair style.
10. Who is Marguerite?
(a) Renee's niece.
(b) Paloma's cousin.
(c) The dressmaker.
(d) Paloma's friend.
11. What does Renee find refreshing about rumors of Kakuro's apartment?
(a) It is painted in shades of white.
(b) There is nothing superfluous.
(c) It has no carpets.
(d) It has no heavy-style furniture.
12. What conflict does Paloma witness?
(a) Between her mother and older sister.
(b) Between her mother and another woman at a sale.
(c) Between her father and mother.
(d) Between Renee and one of the tenants.
13. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
(a) Push for a raise.
(b) Introduces her to the new tenent in the building.
(c) Give her a gift certificate.
(d) Push for better benefits.
14. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
(a) Sends her an invitation with his assistant.
(b) Calls her on the phone.
(c) Sends her an invitation with Paloma.
(d) Comes in person to her door.
15. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(b) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
(c) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
(d) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
2. About what is Manuela joyful?
3. What discussion takes place at Renee's apartment?
4. What does Renee tell Columbe?
5. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)