|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
(b) Light blue.
(c) Soft rose.
2. What arrives for Columbe?
(a) Her master's thesis.
(b) A letter from a beau.
(c) A dress.
(d) A telegram.
3. With what is Paloma's cousin born?
(a) Cerebral palsy.
(b) A hole in her heart.
(c) A cleft palette.
(d) Down's syndrome.
4. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Renee has a black eye.
(b) Renee is crying.
(c) Paloma being there.
(d) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
5. What Japanese tradition does Kakuro explain?
(a) That they hide the sounds of flushing.
(b) That the more powerful person pours the tea for the less powerful person.
(c) That the younger person pours the tea for the older person.
(d) That they take off their shoes.
6. Why is Columbe been driving Paloma crazy?
(a) In saying she will recommend their mother not let Paloma be with Kakuro.
(b) In taunting her about her trip to see the therapist.
(c) In talking about Columbe's trip to Venice.
(d) In bad mouthing the new tenant.
7. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
(a) Learn about Kakuro.
(b) Get a pedicure.
(c) Get her hair done.
(d) Get a facial.
8. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
(b) She should dumb that down also.
(c) She wishes she could paint.
(d) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
9. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
(a) The purpose of art.
(b) The way so many people no longer care about art.
(c) The way the value of art has changed over the years.
(d) The ease with which so many artists create art.
10. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
(a) Because her mother's father was the commander in occupied Japan.
(b) Because her mother cannot speak English very well.
(c) Because most of the tenents shun her mother.
(d) Because her mother is black.
11. Why does Renee wear a handkerchief to work?
(a) To keep a man from the next building from bothering her.
(b) To hide her hair that needs cut.
(c) To hide her new hair style.
(d) It matches her dress.
12. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
(a) Sends her an invitation with his assistant.
(b) Sends her an invitation with Paloma.
(c) Calls her on the phone.
(d) Comes in person to her door.
13. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is not Japanese.
(b) It is German.
(c) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(d) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
14. What do Paloma and Kakuro decide to do?
(a) Read and discuss a book a week.
(b) Become friends.
(c) Find out who Renee really is.
(d) Walk in the park daily together.
15. What does Renee find not up to her standards?
(a) Columbe's master's thesis.
(b) The new decorations in the lobby.
(c) Paloma's own poetry.
(d) The curriculum that Paloma wants to study next semester.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 16?
2. What is Renee thinking about when someone knocks on her door?
3. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
4. Who calls Kakuro?
5. Why does Paloma prefer her aunt and uncle to her own parents?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)