|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Renee tell Columbe?
(a) That the concierge's loge is not open until 8.
(b) That she should call the police.
(c) To call the concierge that is on duty.
(d) That a phone call is as bad as Colombe coming to the door and knocking.
2. Who is Marguerite?
(a) Paloma's cousin.
(b) The dressmaker.
(c) Renee's niece.
(d) Paloma's friend.
3. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
(a) The Grelier.
(b) The Butler.
(c) The maintenance man.
(d) The cook.
4. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(c) Paloma's mother.
5. What do Kakuro and Renee make plans to do?
(a) Go to the Japanese Tea Gardens.
(b) Take Paloma on an outing.
(c) Watch The Munekata Sisters.
(d) Visit the art museum.
6. What Manuela tell Renee to do to prepare for dinner?
(a) Learn about Kakuro.
(b) Get her hair done.
(c) Get a facial.
(d) Get a pedicure.
7. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
(b) She should dumb that down also.
(c) She wishes she could paint.
(d) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
8. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
(a) That Kakuro is sweet on Renee.
(b) That Renee is lonely.
(c) That Renee is quite intelligent.
(d) That Kakuro is sweet on Manuela.
9. What does Renee think about what Columbe has focused upon in her work?
(a) Columbe's priviledged upbringing has given her a narrow perspective.
(b) Columbe has focused upon the weaker argument, which waters down the effect of the writing.
(c) Columbe has focused on the wrong things.
(d) Columbe has totally missed the point and the writing is invalid.
10. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
(a) The way so many people no longer care about art.
(b) The ease with which so many artists create art.
(c) The purpose of art.
(d) The way the value of art has changed over the years.
11. What is going on in the Arthens' former apartment?
(c) Strange noises.
(d) A lot of shouting.
12. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(b) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(c) It is not Japanese.
(d) It is German.
13. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Paloma being there.
(b) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
(c) Renee is crying.
(d) Renee has a black eye.
14. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her love of the outdoors.
(c) Her politics.
(d) Having young children still at home.
15. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
(a) Bead curtins.
(b) Bamboo curtins.
(c) Open doorways.
(d) Sliding doors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 16?
2. Who calls Kakuro?
3. From what book does Renee quote after meeting Kakuro?
4. What conflict does Paloma witness?
5. Who is Paul Nguyen?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)