|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conflict does Paloma witness?
(a) Between her mother and older sister.
(b) Between her mother and another woman at a sale.
(c) Between Renee and one of the tenants.
(d) Between her father and mother.
2. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(c) Paloma's mother.
3. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
(a) To see if he is able to read her well.
(b) To get him to move.
(c) To see if he is a good therapist.
(d) To provoke him into making Paloma leave.
4. What does Paloma request of Renee?
(a) That Renee come talk to Kakuro.
(b) That Renee babysit Paloma's cat.
(c) That an expected letter be delivered as soon as it comes.
(d) That Renee let Paloma hid in Renee's apartment.
5. What amazes Renee about her new hair style?
(a) It is simple yet elegant.
(b) It bespeaks a woman of taste.
(c) It is so fluffy.
(d) It seems so chic.
6. What makes Paloma wonder what else a person might ignore?
(a) When the two people she observes in a fight both ignore their right hands.
(b) When Renee pretends she hears no insults from a tenant.
(c) When Paloma's father ignores a terribly hungry person on the street.
(d) When Kakuro ignores someone who mutters something about Japanese.
7. What does Renee think about concerning art?
(a) Its way of soothing stress.
(b) Its incongruence.
(c) Its inconsistency.
(d) Its ability to heal.
8. What does Renee think about what Columbe has focused upon in her work?
(a) Columbe has focused upon the weaker argument, which waters down the effect of the writing.
(b) Columbe's priviledged upbringing has given her a narrow perspective.
(c) Columbe has totally missed the point and the writing is invalid.
(d) Columbe has focused on the wrong things.
9. What does Renee think about as far as at in chapter 11?
(a) The purpose of art.
(b) The ease with which so many artists create art.
(c) The way so many people no longer care about art.
(d) The way the value of art has changed over the years.
10. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
(b) She should dumb that down also.
(c) She wishes she could paint.
(d) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
11. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
(a) Because her mother is black.
(b) Because her mother cannot speak English very well.
(c) Because most of the tenents shun her mother.
(d) Because her mother's father was the commander in occupied Japan.
12. Who has Monsieur Ozu fired?
(a) The cook.
(b) The maintenance man.
(c) The Butler.
(d) The Grelier.
13. Who is Yoko?
(a) Kakuro's granddaughter.
(b) Paloma's cousin's maid.
(c) Paloma's school friend.
(d) Kakuro's great-niece.
14. What does a courier deliver to Renee?
(a) An expensive book.
(b) A small cat statue.
(c) A pair of tickets.
(d) An invitation.
15. Why is Renee embarrassed?
(a) She trips on the floor mat.
(b) She falls into him when she stumbles on the door step.
(c) She thought a particular painting was done by someone else.
(d) She needs to use the bathroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
2. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
3. What does Renee tell Columbe?
4. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
5. What does Renee ask Manuela to do?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)