|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A phone call.
(b) A scream.
(c) A knock on her door.
(d) A crash.
2. What does Renee think about concerning art?
(a) Its inconsistency.
(b) Its ability to heal.
(c) Its way of soothing stress.
(d) Its incongruence.
3. What do Paloma and Kakuro decide to do?
(a) Read and discuss a book a week.
(b) Become friends.
(c) Walk in the park daily together.
(d) Find out who Renee really is.
4. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
(a) To see if he is able to read her well.
(b) To provoke him into making Paloma leave.
(c) To see if he is a good therapist.
(d) To get him to move.
5. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
(b) Paloma being there.
(c) Renee has a black eye.
(d) Renee is crying.
6. What makes Paloma feel hope?
(a) A realization about where life can take her.
(b) Realizing Renee is not who she implies she is.
(c) Her mother giving her a sincere hug.
(d) Meeting Kakuro.
7. What arrives for Columbe?
(a) Her master's thesis.
(b) A dress.
(c) A letter from a beau.
(d) A telegram.
8. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
(c) Light blue.
(d) Soft rose.
9. Who are Levin and Kitty?
(a) Brother and sister who come by the building every morning with the newspapers.
(b) Paloma's cousins.
(c) The only other children in the building.
(d) Kakuro's cats.
10. How does Kakuro ask Renee to dinner?
(a) Calls her on the phone.
(b) Comes in person to her door.
(c) Sends her an invitation with Paloma.
(d) Sends her an invitation with his assistant.
11. What is Renee careful about as she walks to Kakuro's apartment?
(a) That she not be seen.
(b) That she play "dumb."
(c) That she let it known she is not on duty.
12. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The haiku poem he gives her.
(b) The way the Japanese value austerity.
(c) The painting in the entryway.
(d) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
13. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have taken the book back in person.
(b) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(c) She should have turned the book down.
(d) She should have sent him a book.
14. What does Paloma tell Renee Paloma knows about the woman?
(a) That Kakuro is sweet on Manuela.
(b) That Renee is lonely.
(c) That Renee is quite intelligent.
(d) That Kakuro is sweet on Renee.
15. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(a) Paloma's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
2. Who is Paul Nguyen?
3. From what book does Renee quote after meeting Kakuro?
4. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
5. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)