|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jacinthe Rosen do for Renee?
(a) Introduces her to the new tenent in the building.
(b) Give her a gift certificate.
(c) Push for better benefits.
(d) Push for a raise.
2. What does Renee think to herself about her interest in painting?
(a) She should dumb that down also.
(b) She wishes she could paint.
(c) She wishes she could afford even reproductions of good art.
(d) She wishes she were more up on modern artists.
3. About what is Manuela joyful?
(a) Seeing Renee happy.
(b) Quitting her job with Madame Pallieres.
(c) Planning a trip to Portugal.
(d) Getting a visa to go home.
4. What does Paloma's mother ask Renee?
(a) If Paloma may help Renee in her duties.
(b) If it is alright for Paloma to spend time at Renee's apartment.
(c) If Renee is dating Kakuro.
(d) If Renee knows the young man who is the concierge in the next building.
5. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
(a) He has a good-looking cook about her age.
(b) He wants her to reside in his apartment complex.
(c) He has few demands.
(d) He gave her raise.
6. What is Paloma escaping?
(a) A boy two floors down.
(b) A difficult school assignment.
(c) Her family.
(d) Talking to her mother.
7. What wakes Renee early the next morning?
(a) A crash.
(b) A scream.
(c) A phone call.
(d) A knock on her door.
8. Why does Paloma threaten to spread rumors about the therapist?
(a) To see if he is a good therapist.
(b) To see if he is able to read her well.
(c) To get him to move.
(d) To provoke him into making Paloma leave.
9. Why does Renee invite Paloma into her apartment?
(a) Paloma seemed to need to talk.
(b) Renee is lonely.
(c) She does not want to shut the door in Paloma's face.
(d) Paloma has a book in her hand Renee loves.
10. What surprises Renee about Kakuro's last name?
(a) It is the same as another Japanese man she knows.
(b) It is not Japanese.
(c) It is the same as both a favorite author and filmmaker of Renee's.
(d) It is German.
11. What conflict does Paloma witness?
(a) Between her father and mother.
(b) Between her mother and another woman at a sale.
(c) Between her mother and older sister.
(d) Between Renee and one of the tenants.
12. What do Renee and Kakuro discuss before he shows her his kitchen?
(a) The tapestry hanging in the entryway.
(b) The painting in the entryway.
(c) The way the Japanese value austerity.
(d) The haiku poem he gives her.
13. Why is Paloma surprised that the new tenant wants to have tea with her mother?
(a) Because her mother's father was the commander in occupied Japan.
(b) Because most of the tenents shun her mother.
(c) Because her mother cannot speak English very well.
(d) Because her mother is black.
14. What surprises Manuela when she and Renee are talking about Renee's upcoming dinner date?
(a) That Renee does not have a suitable dress.
(b) That Renee had even thought of turning Kakuro down.
(c) That Renee is not nervous.
(d) That Renee is terribly nervous.
15. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have taken the book back in person.
(b) She should have sent him a book.
(c) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(d) She should have turned the book down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
2. Why does Renee wear a handkerchief to work?
3. What is one topic Renee and Kakuro discuss over dinner?
4. From what book does Renee quote after meeting Kakuro?
5. What does Renee thinks offers more continuity in a house than conventional doors?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)