|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Manuela excited about being retained by Kakura?
(a) He wants her to reside in his apartment complex.
(b) He has a good-looking cook about her age.
(c) He has few demands.
(d) He gave her raise.
2. What surprises Manuela when she arrives at Renee's apartment?
(a) Renee is gone but Columbe is there.
(b) Renee is crying.
(c) Paloma being there.
(d) Renee has a black eye.
3. What does Paloma wonder what might be the true movement of the world?
(a) Piano music.
(b) Voices raised in song.
(c) The sound of the ocean waves.
(d) Hands clasping each other.
4. About what does Paloma contradict a teacher of hers?
(a) A poem.
5. How does Renee feel before Kakuro?
(d) Like a little girl.
6. Who is Marguerite?
(a) Paloma's friend.
(b) The dressmaker.
(c) Paloma's cousin.
(d) Renee's niece.
7. In what way does Paloma's mother differ from most of the tenants in the building?
(a) Her politics.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Having young children still at home.
(d) Her love of the outdoors.
8. What book does Kakuro give Renee?
(a) An expensive copy of Anna Karenina.
(b) An expensive copy of Barbet.
(c) An expensive copy of A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) An expensive copy of Middlemarch.
9. What do Paloma and Kakuro decide to do?
(a) Find out who Renee really is.
(b) Walk in the park daily together.
(c) Read and discuss a book a week.
(d) Become friends.
10. What color is the dress Manuela borrows for Renee?
(c) Light blue.
(d) Soft rose.
11. What does Renee later think she should have done differently in response to the gift?
(a) She should have turned the book down.
(b) She should have sent him a book.
(c) She should have told him she is not allowed to accept gifts.
(d) She should have taken the book back in person.
12. Who joins Renee and Manuela for tea?
(d) Paloma's mother.
13. Who calls Kakuro?
(a) His broker.
(b) His mother.
(c) His son.
(d) His daughter.
14. How does Kakuro respond when Renee quotes from the book?
(a) He frowns at her audacity.
(b) He tells her she has misquoted.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He finishes the quote.
15. Who is Yoko?
(a) Kakuro's granddaughter.
(b) Kakuro's great-niece.
(c) Paloma's school friend.
(d) Paloma's cousin's maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paloma fascinated about concerning the therapist?
2. What happens in Chapter 16?
3. What disturbs Paloma about the therapist?
4. What bothers Renee a little about the dress Manuela borrows for her?
5. What is on Kakuro's wall in the entryway?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)