|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Paloma think is interesting regarding Maître Arthens?
(a) That news of his death causes such excitement throughout the building.
(b) That he never said a kind word to anyone.
(c) That he had a priest come to his death bed.
(d) That his two children turned out to be such good people.
2. What does Paloma realize about words?
(a) Words are overvalued, but useful to an extent.
(b) Words are useless.
(c) It is words that have power, not deeds.
(d) The same word has a different meaning to different people.
3. With what country is Paloma fascinated?
4. Who is gossiping about Madame de Broglie?
(a) Renee and the maintenance man.
(b) Renee and Manuela.
(c) Manuela and her husband.
(d) Manuela and a maid for the building next door.
5. What does Pierre do?
(a) A food critic.
(b) An accountant.
(c) A physician.
(d) A lawyer.
6. What does Renee follow up on to distract the young man?
(a) For him to talk to a man on the third floor.
(b) For him to enjoy the beautiful day.
(c) For him to have a good time walking the dog.
(d) For him to say hello to his mother.
7. What does the author introduce in the Preamble?
(a) The two main characters and the conflict.
(b) Her method of research.
(c) The reason for writing the novel.
(d) The historical background upon which the novel is based.
8. How is Neptune described?
(a) Sad and deprived.
9. For whom does Manuela work?
(a) She does not have a job.
(b) At a small art museum.
(c) She works for herself.
(d) Several families in Renee's building.
10. What does Paloma notice about one of the players?
(a) He is lame.
(b) He is exceedingly tall.
(c) He moves with no grace at all.
(d) He seems to move without motion.
11. What does Renee suggest to the young man?
(a) To read The German Ideology.
(b) To read Kant.
(c) To read some Nietzsche.
(d) To read some of Kierkegaard.
12. Why of Paloma punished?
(a) For slapping her sister.
(b) For being rude to her mother.
(c) For refusing to do her homework.
(d) For correcting her father in front of company.
13. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
(a) A cat howl.
(b) Someone playing a Japanese tune on a piano.
(c) A dog yelp.
(d) A tower clock striking.
14. What has Renee decided is a fraud?
15. Why does Paloma begin to drink something different in the morning?
(a) To build up her brain cells.
(b) In the hopes her mother will notice her.
(c) To be rebellious.
(d) She thinks it more sophisticated than what her father drinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed is Athena?
2. How is Renee's family characterized as far as showing affection?
3. What profoundly moves Paloma one day as she watches two divers on television?
4. For how long has Renee worked in one place?
5. Where is Manuela from?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)