|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Renee see Manuela in Manuela's current station in life?
(a) As thinking Manuela is less refined than Manuela pretends.
(b) As thinking Manuela is better than she is.
(c) As too refined.
(d) As a perfect fit.
2. What does Renee reply to Arthens' son's question?
(c) She has no idea and maybe he should stop using it.
(d) She does not have the education to qualify for a different job.
3. How does Renee perceive that Arthens speaks to her?
(a) As though she is his servant.
(b) As though she reads minds.
(c) As though he is flirting with her.
(d) As though she is unintelligent.
4. Who has Renee studied recently?
5. What is the young man's reaction to Renee's suggestion?
6. What does Renee love to do?
(c) Listen to classical music.
7. What does Paloma believe about life?
(a) It is exhilarating.
(b) It can be good for a few seconds now and then.
(c) It is a nightmare from which one wakes at death.
(d) It is a constant battle.
8. How does Renee think of Manuela?
(a) As a drudge.
(b) As a base person.
(c) As an aristocrat.
(d) As a high-strung angel.
9. Why does Paloma begin to drink something different in the morning?
(a) In the hopes her mother will notice her.
(b) To build up her brain cells.
(c) To be rebellious.
(d) She thinks it more sophisticated than what her father drinks.
10. What does Renee follow up on to distract the young man?
(a) For him to say hello to his mother.
(b) For him to have a good time walking the dog.
(c) For him to talk to a man on the third floor.
(d) For him to enjoy the beautiful day.
11. What do Renee's clients have in common?
(a) They are French.
(b) They are handicapped.
(c) They are elderly.
(d) They are exceptionally wealthy.
12. Why does Paloma think is interesting regarding Maître Arthens?
(a) That his two children turned out to be such good people.
(b) That he had a priest come to his death bed.
(c) That news of his death causes such excitement throughout the building.
(d) That he never said a kind word to anyone.
13. What breed is Athena?
(d) Cocker spaniel.
14. What is Paloma watching with her father?
15. What astounds Renee by a note she receives about some dry cleaning?
(a) The handwriting is exquisitely beautiful.
(b) The writer includes "please" and "thank you."
(c) The note is on beautifully exquisite paper.
(d) The bad grammar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author introduce in the Preamble?
2. How does Renee characterize that dog?
3. What does Paloma begin to drink in the morning?
4. How old is Paloma Josse?
5. To whom does Athena belong?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)