|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paloma decide to do before she dies?
(a) Refuse to do what her father asks of her.
(b) To seek out the movements she observes in the man.
(c) Play rugby.
(d) Meet an intelligent poor person.
2. Who is gossiping about Madame de Broglie?
(a) Manuela and a maid for the building next door.
(b) Renee and Manuela.
(c) Manuela and her husband.
(d) Renee and the maintenance man.
3. What was Renee's husband like?
(a) A common man.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) A brilliant biologist.
(d) A dull, insipid man.
4. Who is Pierre Arthens?
(a) A resident in the building where Renee works.
(b) A friend of Manuela.
(c) A friend of Renee.
(d) A friend of Paloma.
5. Where does Paloma hear a statement she thinks is totally wrong?
(a) A church christening.
(b) A polo match.
(c) A formal family dinner.
(d) A dinner party.
6. How does Madame Badoise injure her ankle?
(a) Dancing in high heels.
(b) Running for a taxi.
(c) Tripping on the lobby carpet.
(d) Separating Athena and Neptune.
7. What profoundly moves Paloma one day as she watches two divers on television?
(a) One of them is killed when she hits her head on the diving board.
(b) One of them is paralyzed when she hits her head on the diving board.
(c) They are so harmoniously coordinated in their dives together.
(d) They fail to dive at exactly the same time and speed.
8. To what does Paloma want to set fire?
(a) The family's records.
(b) Her family's apartment.
(d) The family's Rolls.
9. What does Paloma notice about one of the players?
(a) He moves with no grace at all.
(b) He is exceedingly tall.
(c) He is lame.
(d) He seems to move without motion.
10. Why is the movie most significant to Renee?
(a) Her cousin has a bit part in it.
(b) It was the last one she saw with her husband.
(c) She read the book and had predicted it would become a successful movie.
(d) It was the last one she saw with her mother before she died.
11. What is the young man's reaction to Renee's suggestion?
12. Who is Ozu?
(a) A tenant in the building.
(b) A Japanese diplomat who Renee meets at a coffee shop.
(c) A Japanese filmmaker.
(d) An author Renee admires.
13. What has Renee never had?
(a) A family.
(b) A dearth of friends.
(c) Formal education.
(d) A home of her own.
14. What does Paloma realize about words?
(a) Words are useless.
(b) Words are overvalued, but useful to an extent.
(c) It is words that have power, not deeds.
(d) The same word has a different meaning to different people.
15. At what age is Renee forced to leave school?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paloma think is interesting regarding Maître Arthens?
2. What does Pierre ask of Renee?
3. What does Paloma begin to drink in the morning?
4. What does Renee Michel do for a living?
5. What is one way Renee plays to her clients' prejudice?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)