|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paloma think is the only thing important to her mother?
(a) Her plants.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her charities.
(d) Her cats.
2. With what country is Paloma fascinated?
3. How does Renee feel about her marriage?
(c) She married well.
4. What is one way Renee plays to her clients' prejudice?
(a) Acting as if they are the smartest people Renee has ever met.
(b) Leaving the television on all day.
(c) Drooling when she eats.
(d) Making inane conversation.
5. Who watched Neptune and Athena attempt this?
(b) No one.
6. How does Renee perceive that Arthens speaks to her?
(a) As though she is unintelligent.
(b) As though he is flirting with her.
(c) As though she is his servant.
(d) As though she reads minds.
7. Why does Paloma decide not to use a Japanese tradition on her next birthday to obtain her aims?
(a) She thinks it will be very upsetting to her parents.
(b) She prefers the darkness of Russian traditions.
(c) She does not want to suffer.
(d) She hates all things from the Orient.
8. Why does Renee hide her intelligence from others?
(a) She thinks poor people are not supposed to be intelligent.
(b) She is afraid of being asked something she does not know.
(c) She is afraid others will take advantage of her.
(d) She is afraid no one will associate with her.
9. What is one result for Renee of Arthens' pending death?
(a) She is much busier.
(b) People are kinder to her.
(c) It causes her to reflect on the meaning of life.
(d) She is not as busy.
10. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
(a) A cat howl.
(b) A dog yelp.
(c) Someone playing a Japanese tune on a piano.
(d) A tower clock striking.
11. What astounds Renee by a note she receives about some dry cleaning?
(a) The bad grammar.
(b) The writer includes "please" and "thank you."
(c) The note is on beautifully exquisite paper.
(d) The handwriting is exquisitely beautiful.
12. What did Arthens' son once ask Renee?
(a) The name of some flowers.
(b) The name of her cat.
(c) Why she would work there when she was so smart.
(d) Where he could buy some cocaine.
13. Why does Paloma begin to drink something different in the morning?
(a) To be rebellious.
(b) In the hopes her mother will notice her.
(c) To build up her brain cells.
(d) She thinks it more sophisticated than what her father drinks.
14. At what age is Renee forced to leave school?
15. Where does Paloma hear a statement she thinks is totally wrong?
(a) A church christening.
(b) A polo match.
(c) A dinner party.
(d) A formal family dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Renee's family characterized as far as showing affection?
2. Why of Paloma punished?
3. What does Renee love to do?
4. What topic does Renee read in Husserl?
5. Why is the movie most significant to Renee?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)