|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one way Renee plays to her clients' prejudice?
(a) Making inane conversation.
(b) Acting as if they are the smartest people Renee has ever met.
(c) Drooling when she eats.
(d) Leaving the television on all day.
2. What does Renee Michel do for a living?
(a) A writer.
(b) A baker.
(c) A concierge.
(d) A tram operator.
3. With what country is Paloma fascinated?
4. What does Paloma begin to drink in the morning?
(a) A soda.
(c) Hot chocolate.
5. What does the author introduce in the Preamble?
(a) Her method of research.
(b) The historical background upon which the novel is based.
(c) The reason for writing the novel.
(d) The two main characters and the conflict.
6. What does Paloma feel Columbe's goal in life is?
(a) To break men's hearts.
(b) To crush Paloma.
(c) To prove her worth to their mother.
(d) To gain their mother's attention.
7. Which of Tolstoy's books does Renee love in particular?
(a) Anna Karenina.
(b) The Cossacks.
(c) The Power of Darkness.
(d) War and Peace.
8. Why is Renee fond of The Munekata Sisters?
(a) She actually hates the film.
(b) They are so simple and easy to understand.
(c) The breathtaking metaphor in some of the scenes.
(d) The film is set in an area Renee has always wanted to visit.
9. What does Paloma think is the only thing important to her mother?
(a) Her charities.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her plants.
(d) Her cats.
10. Who does Manuela see on the steps?
(a) Paloma crying.
(b) Arthens daughter.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A stray cat.
11. What does Paloma think of Maître Arthens?
(a) That he is not really dying.
(b) That he is kind.
(c) That he is going to hell.
(d) That he is a bad man.
12. What does Renee reply to Arthens' son's question?
(b) She has no idea and maybe he should stop using it.
(c) She does not have the education to qualify for a different job.
13. What surprised Renee about her husband?
(a) That he was rather kind.
(b) That he was so intelligent.
(c) That he was interested in her.
(d) That he was very eccentric.
14. Who does Renee use to further her arguments against the subject she just finished studying?
15. What topic does Renee read in Husserl?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Renee characterize that dog?
2. What does Renee do when she leaves school?
3. Why does Renee hide her intelligence from others?
4. Why does Paloma think is interesting regarding Maître Arthens?
5. How is Renee's family characterized as far as showing affection?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)