|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Renee hide her intelligence from others?
(a) She is afraid no one will associate with her.
(b) She thinks poor people are not supposed to be intelligent.
(c) She is afraid of being asked something she does not know.
(d) She is afraid others will take advantage of her.
2. For how long has Paloma's mother been taking anti-anxiety medicines?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 5 months.
(d) 2 years.
3. Who is Manuela?
(a) Paloma's friend.
(b) Renee's friend.
(c) The concierge in the building where Paloma lives.
(d) A maid in a motel.
4. Who is Neptune?
(a) A cat that lives in the alleyway near Renee's work.
(b) Madame de Broglie's dog.
(c) Manuela's Macaw.
(d) Madame de Broglie's cat.
5. What does Paloma feel about her true person?
(a) It is pretty much the same as how people perceive her.
(b) It is terribly sad.
(c) It's not the one people perceive.
(d) It is terribly constricted.
6. What does the author introduce in the Preamble?
(a) The historical background upon which the novel is based.
(b) The two main characters and the conflict.
(c) The reason for writing the novel.
(d) Her method of research.
7. What does Paloma decide to do for her next birthday?
(a) Run away.
(b) Move to Canada.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Tell her father she wants to go away to boarding school.
8. Why of Paloma punished?
(a) For correcting her father in front of company.
(b) For refusing to do her homework.
(c) For slapping her sister.
(d) For being rude to her mother.
9. Who does Renee use to further her arguments against the subject she just finished studying?
10. Why does Paloma decide not to use a Japanese tradition on her next birthday to obtain her aims?
(a) She hates all things from the Orient.
(b) She thinks it will be very upsetting to her parents.
(c) She prefers the darkness of Russian traditions.
(d) She does not want to suffer.
11. How is Neptune described?
(b) Sad and deprived.
12. What does Chabrot tell Renee about Maître Arthens?
(a) He is moving.
(b) He is going into the hospital.
(c) He is dying.
(d) He is ill and will be indisposed for a couple weeks.
13. What was Arthens' son's problem?
(a) Very bad eyesight.
(b) Facial tic.
(c) Club foot.
14. What does Renee love to do?
(d) Listen to classical music.
15. What is Manuela always scheming to do?
(a) Move to the United States.
(b) Marry a rich man.
(c) Go back to her country.
(d) Move to Canada.
Short Answer Questions
1. What astounds Renee by a note she receives about some dry cleaning?
2. What does Renee suggest to the young man?
3. What is one result for Renee of Arthens' pending death?
4. What can Renee hear just after Chabrot comes to tell Renee that Arthens has died?
5. What is Renee Michel's challenge?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)