|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time does Kesey serve?
2. What is Kesey's alias in Guadalajara?
3. How does Wolfe describe Haight-Ashbury at this point in the story?
4. Does the officer come to the party?
5. What three events occur in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Babbs moves the acid tests to Los Angeles?
2. Although nothing happens with the Mexican undercover agent, what does his presence make the Pranksters realize?
3. Do you think the Vietnam Day Committee understood what they were doing by inviting Kesey to speak?
4. How does Mountain Girl manage to get off with just a fine for the marijuana charges against her?
5. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
6. What happens to Kesey during the electrical storm on the beach?
7. What did you think when Kesey returns to La Honda after the concert and finds up to 400 people there?
8. Why do you think Kesey denies Sandy the Ampex?
9. What were your thoughts about the Pranksters giving laced Kool-Aid to people without telling them what was in the drink?
10. Is this a happy ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did you think of Wolfe switching up writing styles throughout the book? Did it throw you off? If so, how? Is his so-called "hysterical realism" a good way to tell this story? Or did you have trouble following the narrative? Why do you think Wolfe wrote this way?
Essay Topic 2
What was your reaction to the gang-rape of the woman by the Hell's Angels at the Pranksters' party? What did you think of the way Wolfe portrayed this scene?
Essay Topic 3
What is fundamentally different between the Pranksters' approach to LSD and the approaches of intellectuals like Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert? What were the Pranksters trying to get at that they thought the others were not? Why was that so important to the Pranksters?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)