|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At trial, what does the judge conclude about Kesey?
2. What stands at the center of the Hall at the Trips Festival?
3. Who followed Haugen to Mexico?
4. Who do the Pranksters suspect is behind their bust on the way to Guadalajara?
5. What has San Francisco State University become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
2. Why do you think the Mexicans greet the Pranksters with "Diablo!"
3. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
4. Why do you think Wolfe wrote this chapter in this free-verse style?
5. Is it ironic that Kesey wants to leave the Beatles concert before the crowd gets out of control?
6. Why do you think Kesey denies Sandy the Ampex?
7. For all the things that Kesey hates about Mexico, at this point he discovers a very different side of the country and its people. What does he discover?
8. Did Kesey seem to know his fate all along his LSD-Pranksters journey?
9. Why did the Pranksters and their followers fall apart after Kesey's trial?
10. Although nothing happens with the Mexican undercover agent, what does his presence make the Pranksters realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Were the Pranksters just being lazy by not talking about the experience on the bus? Or was it a good idea not to talk about it? Do you think that if they had started talking about their experiences with LSD on the bus things would have been different? If so, how so?
Essay Topic 2
The Pranksters often talk about the outside world, the 'straight world.' In this chapter, however, when Wolfe asks Hassler to define what the Pranksters mean by the games the straight world plays, Hassler struggles to define it. What is Wolfe saying about this group and their beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What was your reaction to the gang-rape of the woman by the Hell's Angels at the Pranksters' party? What did you think of the way Wolfe portrayed this scene?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)