|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Kesey and friends get their visas to Mexico?
2. In what format is this chapter written?
3. Who is coming to San Francisco in September 1965?
4. How does the crowd react to Kesey's remarks?
5. What was the cause of Cassady's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again we see how Kesey controls the group. Describe how he does it this time at Muir Beach?
2. What were your thoughts about the Pranksters giving laced Kool-Aid to people without telling them what was in the drink?
3. Is it ironic that Kesey goes to the U.S. Consulate, isn't ironic and even gets money from one of the staff?
4. When Kesey returns to California, he's in a strange state of mind. He says he's in the cops movie now. Does Kesey believe he's going to be captured?
5. What is it about the Red Tide that is so bothersome?
6. Why do you think Babbs moves the acid tests to Los Angeles?
7. Following the success of the Trips Festival, what does Bill Graham do?
8. Why do you think Wolfe wrote this chapter in this free-verse style?
9. For all the things that Kesey hates about Mexico, at this point he discovers a very different side of the country and its people. What does he discover?
10. Is it ironic that Kesey wants to leave the Beatles concert before the crowd gets out of control?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Kesey oppose anti-war rallies? Explain how he demonstrates this point of view when he appears at a rally at Berkeley.
Essay Topic 2
What is fundamentally different between the Pranksters' approach to LSD and the approaches of intellectuals like Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert? What were the Pranksters trying to get at that they thought the others were not? Why was that so important to the Pranksters?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)