|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people in the area think the Pranksters are from:
2. Where does Kesey usually obtain his LSD?
3. Kesey decides to return to the U.S. through what entry point?
4. Kesey decides he wants to turn the world onto LSD through:
5. What does Page discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mountain Girl manage to get off with just a fine for the marijuana charges against her?
2. Wolfe writes, "To Kesey, it was a hopeless flea-bitten desert he was fleeing into." What are some of the other descriptions Kesey uses to portray Mexico?
3. Why do you think Wolfe wrote this chapter in this free-verse style?
4. Why did the Pranksters and their followers fall apart after Kesey's trial?
5. When Kesey returns to California, he's in a strange state of mind. He says he's in the cops movie now. Does Kesey believe he's going to be captured?
6. For all the things that Kesey hates about Mexico, at this point he discovers a very different side of the country and its people. What does he discover?
7. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
8. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
9. Is it ironic that Owsley, who makes LSD, has a such a bad trip that he 'fails' the acid test?
10. What were your thoughts about the Pranksters giving laced Kool-Aid to people without telling them what was in the drink?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, what was it about LSD that captivated so many people, especially during the 1960s? Do you think that people really emerged more enlightened after trying the drug?
Essay Topic 2
What was Kesey's aim with the Acid Test? Do you think he articulated what he wanted to do when he meant turning the world onto LSD? Did he achieve anything through it? Or, was it just a reason to get high and party with others on LSD?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)