|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kesey avoid getting arrested on his way to the university test?
2. What does Owsley make?
3. Where is Neal Cassady's body found?
4. How does Wolfe describe Haight-Ashbury at this point in the story?
5. What do Mexicans call the Pranksters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again we see how Kesey controls the group. Describe how he does it this time at Muir Beach?
2. Why do you think the Mexicans greet the Pranksters with "Diablo!"
3. Did Kesey seem to know his fate all along his LSD-Pranksters journey?
4. What happens to Kesey during the electrical storm on the beach?
5. Is it ironic that Owsley, who makes LSD, has a such a bad trip that he 'fails' the acid test?
6. In reading this chapter, what did you think of Kesey's attempt at having a final graduation?
7. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
8. Do you think the Vietnam Day Committee understood what they were doing by inviting Kesey to speak?
9. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
10. What is it about the Red Tide that is so bothersome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is fundamentally different between the Pranksters' approach to LSD and the approaches of intellectuals like Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert? What were the Pranksters trying to get at that they thought the others were not? Why was that so important to the Pranksters?
Essay Topic 2
What was Kesey's aim with the Acid Test? Do you think he articulated what he wanted to do when he meant turning the world onto LSD? Did he achieve anything through it? Or, was it just a reason to get high and party with others on LSD?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)