|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Black Maria originally follow to Mexico?
2. If Kesey goes back to the U.S. he'll be imprisoned. What do the rest of the group have to look forward to?
3. What was the cause of Cassady's death?
4. What do some Pranksters think of Babbs's leadership style?
5. Where is the bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Wolfe writes, "To Kesey, it was a hopeless flea-bitten desert he was fleeing into." What are some of the other descriptions Kesey uses to portray Mexico?
2. Where is Kesey and what is he doing at the end of this story?
3. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
4. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
5. How does Mountain Girl manage to get off with just a fine for the marijuana charges against her?
6. Is it ironic that Kesey goes to the U.S. Consulate, isn't ironic and even gets money from one of the staff?
7. Although nothing happens with the Mexican undercover agent, what does his presence make the Pranksters realize?
8. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
9. Why did the Pranksters and their followers fall apart after Kesey's trial?
10. Is it ironic that Owsley, who makes LSD, has a such a bad trip that he 'fails' the acid test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is fundamentally different between the Pranksters' approach to LSD and the approaches of intellectuals like Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert? What were the Pranksters trying to get at that they thought the others were not? Why was that so important to the Pranksters?
Essay Topic 2
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Tom Wolfe did a good job in telling the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters? Did you feel that he captured the essence of these people accurately? Or was he handicapped by his lack of experience with LSD?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)