|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do the Pranksters believe in anti-war rallies?
2. Kesey becomes increasingly paranoid in Mexico because he thinks:
3. Where do the Pranksters agree to make a secret rendez-vous in Mexico?
4. Kesey decides he wants to turn the world onto LSD through:
5. What has San Francisco State University become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again we see how Kesey controls the group. Describe how he does it this time at Muir Beach?
2. What did you think when Kesey returns to La Honda after the concert and finds up to 400 people there?
3. Wolfe writes, "To Kesey, it was a hopeless flea-bitten desert he was fleeing into." What are some of the other descriptions Kesey uses to portray Mexico?
4. Why do you think Wolfe wrote this chapter in this free-verse style?
5. Why do you think Kesey denies Sandy the Ampex?
6. Is it ironic that Kesey goes to the U.S. Consulate, isn't ironic and even gets money from one of the staff?
7. Why do you think Babbs moves the acid tests to Los Angeles?
8. Why did the Pranksters and their followers fall apart after Kesey's trial?
9. What did you think of Kesey's re-entry into the U.S.?
10. Is it ironic that Owsley, who makes LSD, has a such a bad trip that he 'fails' the acid test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the mixed, almost bad reviews of Sometimes a Great Nation hurt Kesey? Or did he sincerely believe that the bus was a new art form? What does he mean when he points to the bus and suggests it's a totally new art form?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Tom Wolfe did a good job in telling the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters? Did you feel that he captured the essence of these people accurately? Or was he handicapped by his lack of experience with LSD?
Essay Topic 3
Do any of the Pranksters really know what to make of Kesey? Why do they find it so easy to follow him? Do they understand what they're doing? Or is it all fun and games for them?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)