|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kesey, Zonker and Hagen drive to the meeting point?
2. In what format is this chapter written?
3. Kesey decides he wants to turn the world onto LSD through:
4. What was the cause of Cassady's death?
5. What does Kesey plan to do to wreck the psychedelic movement once and for all?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did you think when Kesey returns to La Honda after the concert and finds up to 400 people there?
2. Is it ironic that Owsley, who makes LSD, has a such a bad trip that he 'fails' the acid test?
3. Is it ironic that Kesey wants to leave the Beatles concert before the crowd gets out of control?
4. Do you think the Vietnam Day Committee understood what they were doing by inviting Kesey to speak?
5. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
6. When Kesey returns to California, he's in a strange state of mind. He says he's in the cops movie now. Does Kesey believe he's going to be captured?
7. Following the success of the Trips Festival, what does Bill Graham do?
8. What were your thoughts about the Pranksters giving laced Kool-Aid to people without telling them what was in the drink?
9. What did you think of Kesey's re-entry into the U.S.?
10. Why do you think Babbs moves the acid tests to Los Angeles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ultimately, what was it about LSD that captivated so many people, especially during the 1960s? Do you think that people really emerged more enlightened after trying the drug?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)