|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kesey's alias in Guadalajara?
2. Kesey becomes increasingly paranoid in Mexico because he thinks:
3. To whom does Kesey compare Paul Jacobs, one of the previous speakers?
4. To what does Wolfe compare Kesey and the Acid Test?
5. Where do Kesey and friends get their visas to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the Vietnam Day Committee understood what they were doing by inviting Kesey to speak?
2. Why do you think Wolfe wrote this chapter in this free-verse style?
3. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
4. Is it ironic that Kesey goes to the U.S. Consulate, isn't ironic and even gets money from one of the staff?
5. What did you think of Kesey's re-entry into the U.S.?
6. Following the success of the Trips Festival, what does Bill Graham do?
7. Wolfe writes, "To Kesey, it was a hopeless flea-bitten desert he was fleeing into." What are some of the other descriptions Kesey uses to portray Mexico?
8. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
9. Although nothing happens with the Mexican undercover agent, what does his presence make the Pranksters realize?
10. Once again we see how Kesey controls the group. Describe how he does it this time at Muir Beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wolfe writes extensively in the chapter "Dream Wars" about the Pranksters' trip back to California and specifically, about Sandy's bad trips and paranoia. Is Wolfe a fair observer of what's unfolding in this chapter? Or, is he insensitive to Sandy's hardships? How does Wolfe view Kesey and the rest of the Pranksters and their reactions to Sandy's bad trips?
Essay Topic 2
Do any of the Pranksters really know what to make of Kesey? Why do they find it so easy to follow him? Do they understand what they're doing? Or is it all fun and games for them?
Essay Topic 3
Talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Why did Kesey write the story? How did this novel change his life?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)