|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Merry Pranksters live?
2. What is a rule that Kesey establishes for travel?
3. Through a long quote by Joachim Wach, how does the author describe Kesey and company?
4. What route do the Pranksters take back to California?
5. What drew the Hell's Angels to the Kesey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Sandy would have stayed with the Pranksters if he hadn't had a bad trip?
2. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
3. After everything Wolfe had heard and researched about Kesey, when he finally meets him in jail, what does Kesey stress the most?
4. What happens to the Pranksters after people hear more about their big weekend with the Angels?
5. How do the Pranksters view the Beauty Witch's descent into madness?
6. Describe Wolfe's initial meeting with Kesey.
7. Why do the Prankster feel it's critical not to talk about their experience on the trip?
8. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
9. Kesey compares this time in American History to what other time in ancient history?
10. By the end of the Unitarian conference, the younger Unitarians are so taken with the Pranksters, what do they do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Pranksters often talk about the outside world, the 'straight world.' In this chapter, however, when Wolfe asks Hassler to define what the Pranksters mean by the games the straight world plays, Hassler struggles to define it. What is Wolfe saying about this group and their beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Talk about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Why did Kesey write the story? How did this novel change his life?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)