|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zonker save himself in the water when he's surrounded by suspicious black men?
2. What literary form opens this chapter?
3. What does Cassady do when driving over the Blue Ridge Mountains?
4. What style of writing does Wolfe describe he's using in telling this story?
5. Where does Kesey go to do graduate work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
2. What is the significance of the Bladder Totem?
3. What happens to Perry Lane in July 1963?
4. When Kesey returns to California, he's in a strange state of mind. He says he's in the cops movie now. Does Kesey believe he's going to be captured?
5. After Zonker receives a telegram informing the group that the suicide note scheme didn't work, who spreads news that Kesey is in Mexico?
6. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
7. What did you think when Kesey returns to La Honda after the concert and finds up to 400 people there?
8. What happens to Perry Lane when Kesey and his family return following the publication of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"
9. Does Wolfe think the Merry Pranksters are odd?
10. Why does Kesey refuse to tell people that they should STOP taking LSD?
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Tom Wolfe did a good job in telling the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters? Did you feel that he captured the essence of these people accurately? Or was he handicapped by his lack of experience with LSD?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Kesey oppose anti-war rallies? Explain how he demonstrates this point of view when he appears at a rally at Berkeley.
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)