|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of writing does Wolfe describe he's using in telling this story?
2. What are some of the regular features of life at La Honda?
3. Sandy believes that Kesey is most interested in the forest as:
4. Do Kesey and the crew talk much about the experience on the bus?
5. Do outsiders have any interest in joining the Pranksters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
2. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
3. What was the original plan for the road trip to the east coast?
4. Why does Kesey refuse to tell people that they should STOP taking LSD?
5. What does Kesey mean when he says that New York is two years behind San Francisco?
6. What happens to the Pranksters after people hear more about their big weekend with the Angels?
7. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
8. Do you think Sandy would have stayed with the Pranksters if he hadn't had a bad trip?
9. Kesey compares this time in American History to what other time in ancient history?
10. What is the significance of the Bladder Totem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that Tom Wolfe did a good job in telling the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters? Did you feel that he captured the essence of these people accurately? Or was he handicapped by his lack of experience with LSD?
Essay Topic 2
Ultimately, what was it about LSD that captivated so many people, especially during the 1960s? Do you think that people really emerged more enlightened after trying the drug?
Essay Topic 3
Many critics call The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test a "classic." Why do you think this book is called that? Do you agree?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)