|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wolfe find distracting about Hassler?
2. Why does Kesey decide to leave Millbrook?
3. How do the young women at the conference react to Kesey?
4. What is Unauthorized Acid?
5. Where have Kesey and the Pranksters moved to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Prankster feel it's critical not to talk about their experience on the trip?
2. Why does Kesey refuse to tell people that they should STOP taking LSD?
3. Why do outsiders want to get in with the Pranksters?
4. What happens to Perry Lane when Kesey and his family return following the publication of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"
5. Describe Wolfe's initial meeting with Kesey.
6. Kesey moves his family and the Pranksters out to La Honda, California. Describe the new home.
7. What happens to Perry Lane in July 1963?
8. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
9. What does Kesey mean when he says that New York is two years behind San Francisco?
10. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think the mixed, almost bad reviews of Sometimes a Great Nation hurt Kesey? Or did he sincerely believe that the bus was a new art form? What does he mean when he points to the bus and suggests it's a totally new art form?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)