|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kesey discover at Stanford that changes the course of his life?
2. Who is Sonny Barger?
3. When Kesey returns to the warehouse after a stay in jail, what does he say to Mountain Girl?
4. Who are the Young Turks?
5. Do outsiders have any interest in joining the Pranksters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kesey moves his family and the Pranksters out to La Honda, California. Describe the new home.
2. Why do the Leary followers dislike the Pranksters?
3. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
4. What do the Pranksters believe about people living the 'straight life?'
5. What happens when Kesey and Kerouac meet?
6. After everything Wolfe had heard and researched about Kesey, when he finally meets him in jail, what does Kesey stress the most?
7. Have the Pranksters broken away from mainstream society?
8. Describe the state of mind and general condition that leads Sandy to take the Unauthorized Acid:
9. What happens to Perry Lane when Kesey and his family return following the publication of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"
10. Describe Wolfe's initial meeting with Kesey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many critics call The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test a "classic." Why do you think this book is called that? Do you agree?
Essay Topic 2
Wolfe writes extensively in the chapter "Dream Wars" about the Pranksters' trip back to California and specifically, about Sandy's bad trips and paranoia. Is Wolfe a fair observer of what's unfolding in this chapter? Or, is he insensitive to Sandy's hardships? How does Wolfe view Kesey and the rest of the Pranksters and their reactions to Sandy's bad trips?
Essay Topic 3
When Kesey moves his family and the Pranksters to La Honda, people he used to hang out with on Perry Lane complain that this is no longer the old group of friends, but it's increasingly Kesey's trip. What were they noticing that was so different about Kesey? What was Kesey doing that indicated he was going to be the leader from this point forward?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)