|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Young Turks?
2. Kesey says some people are good at understanding themselves but not:
3. How does Wolfe describe Cassady?
4. Describe some of the young women who join the Pranksters on the bus.
5. What do the Pranksters introduce to the Angels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
2. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
3. How does Mountain Girl manage to get off with just a fine for the marijuana charges against her?
4. What is the final disappointment the Pranksters experience at Millbrook?
5. What happens to the Pranksters after people hear more about their big weekend with the Angels?
6. What did you think of Kesey's re-entry into the U.S.?
7. Wolfe writes, "To Kesey, it was a hopeless flea-bitten desert he was fleeing into." What are some of the other descriptions Kesey uses to portray Mexico?
8. Have the Pranksters broken away from mainstream society?
9. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
10. After the Conference, someone describes Kesey as the "Prophet King." What are Kesey and his group being compared to? Is it a valid comparison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
Essay Topic 2
One of the recurring themes in this story is control. Specifically, Kesey's need to have control of the Pranksters and the situations in which he found himself. Starting with the bus, which was apparently Babb's original idea, how does Kesey continually assert his control over the group? Why do you think he needs this control? What does it say about him?
Essay Topic 3
Ultimately, what was it about LSD that captivated so many people, especially during the 1960s? Do you think that people really emerged more enlightened after trying the drug?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)