|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe some of the young women who join the Pranksters on the bus.
2. What famous literary figures show up at the Pranksters' party in New York?
3. What is the cause of Sandy's disturbing hallucinations?
4. Who are the Young Turks?
5. How does Zonker save himself in the water when he's surrounded by suspicious black men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Perry Lane when Kesey and his family return following the publication of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"
2. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
3. When Kesey returns to California, he's in a strange state of mind. He says he's in the cops movie now. Does Kesey believe he's going to be captured?
4. Does Wolfe think the Merry Pranksters are odd?
5. Why do the Prankster feel it's critical not to talk about their experience on the trip?
6. Do you think that Kesey went on his bizarre rant on stage because the Pranksters arrived late to the the anti-war rally with little reception?
7. For all the things that Kesey hates about Mexico, at this point he discovers a very different side of the country and its people. What does he discover?
8. What did you think when Kesey returns to La Honda after the concert and finds up to 400 people there?
9. What is Kesey's response to an imminent arrest?
10. How do the Pranksters view the Beauty Witch's descent into madness?
Essay Topic 1
What was your reaction to the gang-rape of the woman by the Hell's Angels at the Pranksters' party? What did you think of the way Wolfe portrayed this scene?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Beauty Witch? And what are your thoughts on how the Pranksters reacted to her madness? Did you think they were fair? Honest? Insensitive?
Essay Topic 3
In the first chapter of The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, Tom Wolfe starts off first by talking about what he has heard about Ken Kesey, and then recounts his first meeting with the LSD guru. He also mentions meeting some of the other Merry Pranksters including Mountain Girl and Neal Cassady. Talk about the tone that Wolfe sets for the book from the start, and his style of writing, and whether this writing style is effective in capturing the story of Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)