|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Norman Hartweg want to do with the Pranksters' film?
2. What drink is in the bus fridge and laced with LSD?
3. As the conference progresses, what becomes more interesting to Kesey?
4. Where does Kesey go to do graduate work?
5. What does Kesey discover at Stanford that changes the course of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kesey compares this time in American History to what other time in ancient history?
2. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
3. Who is the subject of this book and why does Wolfe want to write about him?
4. Why does Hartweg have such a hard time understanding what the Pranksters have filmed?
5. Kesey moves his family and the Pranksters out to La Honda, California. Describe the new home.
6. What was the original plan for the road trip to the east coast?
7. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
8. What distracts Wolfe when he is trying to listen to Hassler explain what the Pranksters mean when they talk about the games the straight world is caught up in?
9. What happens to Perry Lane when Kesey and his family return following the publication of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"
10. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did you think of Wolfe switching up writing styles throughout the book? Did it throw you off? If so, how? Is his so-called "hysterical realism" a good way to tell this story? Or did you have trouble following the narrative? Why do you think Wolfe wrote this way?
Essay Topic 2
Were the Pranksters just being lazy by not talking about the experience on the bus? Or was it a good idea not to talk about it? Do you think that if they had started talking about their experiences with LSD on the bus things would have been different? If so, how so?
Essay Topic 3
What was your reaction to the gang-rape of the woman by the Hell's Angels at the Pranksters' party? What did you think of the way Wolfe portrayed this scene?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)