|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What route do the Pranksters take back to California?
(a) The midwestern route
(b) They go through Canada before re-entering the U.S. through Washington
(c) The northern route
(d) The same one they took to the east coast
2. What do the Angels like about Allen Ginsburg?
(a) He stand straight making him look taller than he really is
(b) He's the straightest straight guy on the planet
(c) He's the greatest and straightest unstraight guy they ever met
(d) He's a great straight singer
3. What is the Leary group's view of the Pranksters?
(a) They're too quiet
(b) They're impressed and hope they return soon
(c) They're a group of California crazies
(d) They have bad taste in clothing
4. What do the Pranksters do ahead of the arrival of the police?
(a) They put up large signs that mock the police to let them know they're coming
(b) They change their appearance completely
(c) They empty the house and flee into the woods
(d) They burn the house down
5. How was Kesey's novel received?
(a) No one read it because it was never published
(b) Not well at all
(c) Mixed reviews
(d) Very well
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the Pranksters' way of life strike the author as odd?
2. Do the the Merry Pranksters invite or include all LSD users?
3. Does Kesey get to meet Leary?
4. How does Zonker save himself in the water when he's surrounded by suspicious black men?
5. What does Wolfe find distracting about Hassler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
2. Why does Hartweg have such a hard time understanding what the Pranksters have filmed?
3. What happens when Kesey and Kerouac meet?
4. Who is the subject of this book and why does Wolfe want to write about him?
5. After the Conference, someone describes Kesey as the "Prophet King." What are Kesey and his group being compared to? Is it a valid comparison?
6. Do you think Sandy would have stayed with the Pranksters if he hadn't had a bad trip?
7. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
8. After everything Wolfe had heard and researched about Kesey, when he finally meets him in jail, what does Kesey stress the most?
9. By the end of the Unitarian conference, the younger Unitarians are so taken with the Pranksters, what do they do?
10. What do the Pranksters believe about people living the 'straight life?'
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)