|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some of the regular features of life at La Honda?
(a) Arm wrestling on Wednesdays
(b) Yoga classes three times a week to stay healthy
(c) LSD-laced prayer sessions at sunrise
(d) Day Glo paint on everything, Friday night dinners
2. Describe some of the young women who join the Pranksters on the bus.
(a) They wear baggy clothing and refuse to wear makeup
(b) They wear little clothing and paint themselves in Day-Glo
(c) They sit still on the bus and never move unless told
(d) They wear nice suits and wear no makeup
3. Where was Kesey born and raised?
(a) No one really knows and he won't tell.
(b) La Junta, Colorado. Raised in Springfield, Oregon.
(c) In La Honda, California
(d) In Portland, Oregon
4. After doing a lot of talking, Kesey emerges from the bus with what on his face?
(a) A huge swath of adhesive tape over his mouth
(b) Women's makeup
(c) Day Glo paint
(d) The sign of the cross over his forehead
5. Who is Sonny Barger?
(a) The president of the Hell's Angels, famous from the Hunter S. Thompson book
(b) Sandy's cousin
(c) A cousin of Sonny Bono the singer
(d) A novelist and motorcycle enthusiast
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Kesey gives his group?
2. Why is Neal Cassady well-known?
3. What do Kesey and his cohorts wear?
4. Does Kesey believe that experiencing things in the present is really possible?
5. What happens after the bust on La Honda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Sandy would have stayed with the Pranksters if he hadn't had a bad trip?
2. At this point, are the Pranksters losing sight of their vision? Why or why not?
3. Kesey moves his family and the Pranksters out to La Honda, California. Describe the new home.
4. How is Kesey's second novel, Sometimes a Great Nation, received? How does Kesey react to the reviews?
5. What do the Pranksters believe about people living the 'straight life?'
6. What starts to annoy the other Pranksters about Kesey at this point in their story?
7. After the Conference, someone describes Kesey as the "Prophet King." What are Kesey and his group being compared to? Is it a valid comparison?
8. What does Kesey mean when he says that New York is two years behind San Francisco?
9. How are the Pranksters and the Angels similar? How are they different?
10. After everything Wolfe had heard and researched about Kesey, when he finally meets him in jail, what does Kesey stress the most?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)